• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Peak Hp/Torque for '79

Morris

Yoda
Can anyone tell my stock peak hp and torque for a '79 Midget. At what rpm the car achieves peak ouput would be helpful, too.

Thanks,

morris

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Thanks Mark!

That site is cool.

I am confused about something though...

The site lists the compression ratio at 9:1 but I thought the ratio was 7:1 for the '79.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

morris

heres what my book says (MG Workshop manual 1500) all uk models and 76 US.

i take that to mean that only the 76 1500 was a HC engine. i havent found the compresion ratio in here yet. WOW that one is listed at 9.9 to 1 ?!?
here it is LC=7.5:1 HC is 9.1:1
Gotta find me on of those 76 cars.
mark

think i got that wrong, the 1500 started in 75 or 76. my 75 had one in it, maybe it wasnt original? So i guess the question is , for you gents more knowledgable than me , is - was there a HC 1500?

mark

k Moss doesnt list as avaiable, HC pistons for either the Spit or the Midget.

mark

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
There's a HC engine, all right. I haven't opened up the '75 engine I got from you yet, but I know for certain that '76 engines had flat topped pistons (and were therefore 9:1 CR). I've heard that '75 engines also had HC engines, but don't know. Perhaps this explains your TH2 cam's poorer off-idle performance. My TH5 cam screams off idle all the way to 7000 with my 10.5:1 CR (now that the carbs are tuned properly). After I correct this head gasket issue, I should be able to see what it's like with all 4 cylinders, instead of 2 ... probably a performance I've never imagined possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
P.S., My pistons are Custom Forged JE pistons ... they took about 8 months to arrive. I wouldn't recommend ordering from them without a timetable. They cost about $350 for the set. When compared to the set of 6 BMW pistons I got (Forged, High Comp) for my M20 engine, they were a steal. The stupid things were German made, small dish forged pistons (and cost $1000!). I couldn't believe it.

This is part of the reason I'm not building any more BMW engines or restoring any more BMW's. What a PITA!

i am going to dig a hole and bury myself in it if that engines is a HC...
did you ever get me some measurements on your steering wheel?

mark

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
Also, I think custom ordered forged pistons are the way to go with that, as Moss doesn't seem to source the flat tops like you said. I don't know about VB. However, this makes for a rather large lead time. If you were going to build another engine, I might be interested in another set ... we'd have to see. Since you basically can't reuse pistons, it doesn't really matter what they started with. The thinking is that if you requested two sets, they might manufacture faster than if you only wanted one ...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
thanks for the info re '76 (my year) tragically my peak horsepower/ torque curve is currently totally dependant on how fast I run and how hard I push /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
Hahahahaha! Good one!

Yes Morris, you're correct, that's the piston we were referring to. Good price too. I don't know if they're hypereutectic or not, but that would do for just about any engine. If I build another High Performance version, I'm going to cut costs and time by using those or similar pistons, instead of the custom ordered forged items, as well as a number of similar $ savers.

Matt

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Gordon (the guy at Bhive) sources all of his parts directly from JOE (Jolly Old England) and he is a former BL factory trained mechanic, so I would guess that the pistons are pretty much the stock item.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Peak power and torque for a 1500?
Ah.... (and I'm just guessing here.)............................................12.
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Geez Jeff.....comon on now...morel like about 16

mark

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So that's what? ... 13 Euro? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif