• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Hi Torque Starter Repair

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi guys,

I suspect my hi torque starter that is installed on my 60 TR3A is toast ....thought it might be the solenoide but it checks out.

So, the question is, once I get the thing un installed (not looking forward to it), are these starters rebuild able? I have a couple of local shops I could take it to, but I thought I would ask if anyone here might have previous experience before I bother. Or, should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and order one from British Starters...

Cheers
Tush

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Having been in the electrical rebuilding business for about 30 years before I retired, if the high torque starter is similar to the ones that British Starters provides...e.g. the typical Nippondenso type, then they most definitely can be rebuilt by any local shop. The only real difference between a typical Honda and a British Starter gear reduction type is the mounting adapter plate. All the guts inside are the same. Even the drive gears used by British Starters are ones that come from common Nippondenso starters.

MChef_SeriesStarter.jpg

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Art,

That is promising! I will try and get the old one off tomorrow and drop it at a local shop. I believe the PO also had another crapped out one in a parts bin that he gave me so maybe I'll look at having that one repaired as well.

Cheers
Tush

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Tush. Read that some people have had those high torque starters come apart during service, although no personal experience. Might be good to loctite the through bolts that hold it together. Cheers, Mike

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Mike,

Will do.

Cheers
Tush

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Might be worth having a look inside yourself. With mine, just the ball bearings had failed and I was able to source replacements from MMC for just a few dollars. Lots cheaper than having a shop rebuild it. It's not rocket science (but don't lose the ball that transmits motion to the pinion gear :smile: )

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, I did manage to get the starter out...getting it back in will be "fun" to say the least. I didn't bother attempting to take it apart myself...no idea as to the actual make of the starter...I wouldn't even know what or where to order parts from...simpler in this case to throw money at the problem :cool: although I normally like to do it myself. I took two in (had another one kicking around in a parts bin)...$145 to repair both, back on Wednesday...

Cheers
Tush

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sounds reasonable price for both, and always nice to have a spare. Did you helicoil those places on bellhousing or are you doing the contortion to get at the nuts? Cheers, Mike

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm wishing I helicoiled or welded a nut on the back...I'm doing the contortion thing:cool: video to follow....

Cheers
Tush

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
My understanding was that the front nose/adapter was he only thing that was TR specific, no?
Hi Tom, I know that there were two types of starters fitted to TR3s depending on year/comm number. I think it would be a different hi torque starter for each application.

Cheers
Tush

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Tom, I know that there were two types of starters fitted to TR3s depending on year/comm number. I think it would be a different hi torque starter for each application.

Cheers
Tush

And I think the starter's pinion had to have the correct number of teeth for the application. I seem to remember the one for the TR6 has 11....or maybe it's 9.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag

Cheers
Tush

Yes, there are two different starters as shown on the British Starters website. TS50001 was the change over. There's a different gear on the starter due to the change in the flywheel when Triumph changed the starter.

https://www.britishstarters.com/Triumph.html

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But the gear is the only difference; unlike the originals where the entire motor was different.

FWIW a friend of mine got the wrong starter the first time, and the shop where he bought it just swapped the gear for him, no charge. It's easy to get the wrong one, since the flywheels interchange so easily (eg TS13571L is wearing a later ring gear & gear drive starter to match).