• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Torque for Front Pinion Nut

Gary H

Freshman Member
Country flag
Anyone have the correct torque setting for the front Pinion nut (flange nut) for a 66 Healey BJ8? I am replacing the front oil seal and the nut was not very tight when I took it off, slightly more than finger tight. Hopefully I do not have to disassemble the differential, just stop the oil leak.

Not that I don't believe the Bentley Book but, Bentley Book is showing 140 lb. ft. torque in stages to check the pre-load. It was no where near 140 ft lbs when I took it off.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Gary, What you are actually trying to do is set the proper preload on the bearing. Cars that have a crush sleeve will need at least 125 lbs ft to start to crush the sleeve. I actually don't remember if the healey used a crush sleeve or it may have just had a spacer that sets the bearing at the proper depth. What you want to achieve is approx 4 to 6 inch lbs of rotational force to turn the beaing. With that then you know that the bearing is preloaded properly. It is hard to measure rotational force when the pumpkin is in the car and you need an inch lb torgue wrench. But it can be done with the wrench hanging verticlly and see what force it takes to move it. If the car uses a crush sleeve to set the compression of the bearing (and Healeys could have been changed to crush sleeves by previous installers) then when using a new crush sleeve it will take at least 125 ft lbs to start to crush it then you continue turning until you have the 4 to 6 inch lbs rotational force on the bearing. If it is the same crush sleeve that was in there, then the nut will turn on relatively easily until the bearing snugs up against the crush sleeve then it will turn very hard. Since this is your used crush sleeve you do not want to crush it very much more as its distance is already crushed to give the proper preload on the bearing. But to snug it up just a tesch more most installers will give it just a wee bit more crush, this will take the 125+ of torgue to turn the nut at this point. But don't go very far at all. Any more crush will overly tighten (load) the bearing. If the car has a spacer to set the proper preload on the bearing instead of a crush sleeve then with that spacer in place the nut should be tightened to what ever the book has said. It is the same principle as what is done to set the front wheel bearings on a big Healey which ultimately can take between 40 to 60 ft lbs on the wheel bearing nut. The pinion flange nut would be torgued to 140 lb ft as the book says. ( I have just read some of it again, the books proceedures are correct, it uses shims as well as the spacer, but the point is that after all this stuff is packed in there to give the correct preload on the bearing, then tighten the nut to 140 lb ft. )

OP
G

Gary H

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for your help. 140 lbs is a lot of torque! Shocks came back from Apple Hydraulics and drivers side suspension is back in place. Another free day should finish the rear suspension. Sure is nice to work with clean parts. Thanks again for your response.