• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pacesetter Headers Yes or No?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I just got a quote back from JetHot for a set of headers (inside and out) for my TR6 (rather than coating the stock exhaust manifold). I still plan to do the exterior of the intake in their Sterling coating, but have been toying with the idea of headers. Since the general consensus is that the JetCoat finish actually does eliminate heat in the engine compartment and makes the headers last a lot longer, I may want to go that route.

Any thoughts or suggestions? My car is stock and I'm not planning any engine mods. Its mainly for engine compartment looks and to get a better sounding exhaust system.

G

I have the moss ones. Like them. Like the sound with the stock exhaust. They are going off to jet hot next week.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
By Moss ones, do you mean the Pacesetter version, or another brand made for Moss? And what did you have to get or do to mate up everything to your stock exhaust?

G

Mind if I ask what you're paying for that Alan? I've got a header on my car already but I'd be interested to know what the Jethot coating is going to cost. I have no idea what brand of header I have, it was on the car when I bought it, but it is chromed (and still in pretty good condition). However I'd be more interested in the potential drop in under hood temps that the coating can offer rather than the looks of the chromed pipes (which can hardly be seen anyway).

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Scott:
It was going to cost me $140 to get my stock manifold done in and out after aluminum oxide blasting process. New headers, done completely are $313 to my door. I know that they can't be seen a great deal but the rusty manifold really looks crappy in there now.

G

No the moss two piece ones.

I heard nothing good about the pacesetter ones. No personal experience mind, just that the quality and fit are less than wonderful.

I have these:
https://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29778

I bought them on sale. I swapped out the old rusty manifold when I did the exhaust change. Two clamps from the autoparts store was all it took (73 remember - twin pipes).

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I have a PaceSetter on my 1500. Horrible fit.....I had to heat and reweld part of it.
I'd buy from a different vendor.

G

Scott,

Don't know - they wanted $130 for my intake manifold, but someone suggested I anodize it, and I thought that was a nice idea. I'm going to get a quote tomorrow for the manifold. Figure I'll go with the 2000 coating in black.

D

DougF

Had Pacesetters on my TR6 years ago. They must be machined to fit properly. Not worth the money. Don't waste your time with them. Just like buying a car, spend the money up front for the best you can afford. Less headaches and maybe less money in the future.

G

Thanks guys. Doesn't seem like it's a cheap thing that coating, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. My buddy just sent out a brand new pair of Hooker headers for his 428CJ powered Stang for Jethot coating but he didn't tell me what it was going to cost him.

Is warpage of the header flange a common problem on these cars, or is it more header manufacturer dependant? I've seen a few people here at BCF post about that and the resulting exhaust leaks, I've got a small one myself that I'm fairly certain is due to a not quite true flange. One of these days I'll get it out of there and have it machined.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
hold on,
some ceramic coatings hold the heat better than others. my understanding is that jet hot (the shiny silver stuff) is better for corrosion protection but not as good for heat retension as the 2000 deg type ceramic which is usually a flat colour grey or white, not by jet hot. correct me if i'm wrong. remember that you should always fit (grind,modify)your headers before coating cause you can't fix them once their coated.
rob

G

JET-HOT 2000™ - Formulated for very high temperatures, this rugged coating protects substrates up to 2,450°F, heat levels sometimes encountered in Rodding and Off-Road applications. Available in black, blue or grey.

https://jet-hot.com/Pages/coatings.html

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
alan,
that's the right stuff.
rob