• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 headers

hymodyne

I'd just like to know why there is such a sharp spike in the price of an exhaust header for a GT6 as opposed to one for a Spit. It is as if the addition of the last two pipes make it necessary for the price of the header to jump, sometimes well over 100% in cost in relation to those made for the spit.

I've been lurking online, reading all I can find related to the science behind the difference between the 6-3-1 and the 6-2-1 configurations, but even with the physics of these options in mind, I'm still brought back to the fact that its just steel; flanges and tubing and welds. I know that there are affordable TR6 headers out there, but they won't work on a GT6 head. Is there a source out there for used headers?

There. I've got that off my chest.

Hym

V

vagt6

This could be related the fact that there were a lot fewer GT6s manufactured/imported than Spits. Also, there probably aren't more than a few hundred or so GT6s in driveable condition here (wild guess), making it not so economically feasible to mass produce headers for them.

The 6-3-1 config on the GT6 2000cc engine is best for a street car. It produces the "extractor" effect and tends to aid the exhaust flow out of the engine, basically. The 6-3-1 enhances power in RPM mid-range, which is what you want for street use. 6-2-1 and 6-1 headers enhance power at high RPMs. So, unless you're going WOT constantly, get a 6/3/1.

Spit Bits used to carry a GT6 header. Also check with British Parts Northwest, maybe Victoria British(?), and of course Canley Classics in England has them, but very pricey. Canley's website is like a candy store for GT6 lovers, check it out. No joy for you on the pricing, I guess, but that's the deal with these rare birds.

For used headers you might contact Ted Schumaker at TSI Imported Auto, great guy and he knows it all about these cars. Also check the NASS (North American Spitfire Squadron) Yahoo Groups site, maybe someone there can source one for you. Lots of GT6 guys there who really know their stuff. Register, then post your inquiry on the NASS Group board, you might just find something.

Good luck,let us know!

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
You may have luck with Team Triumph in Ohio for a used one. Good luck

booley

Jedi Trainee
hymodyne said:
I know that there are affordable TR6 headers out there, but they won't work on a GT6 head.
I thought the heads were the same? It would be difficult to fit a TR6 header into a GT6 frame...
TSI lists the best price, but they're labeled "race only". Better call Ted...
I remember when J.C. Whitney used to sell them(6-1)for cheap...

swift6

Yoda
I think Mark is right on with the production number aspect. There are a WHOLE LOT more four cylinders to sprad that cost around on. Larger market equals lower cost, simple.

Booley is also fairly on the mark. The earliest 2.0 heads would not match up to the TR6 port spacing, but all the others would match up port wise to a TR6 header. The rest of the header from a TR6 won't fit in the Spitfire/GT6 chassis. Once again, back to the market size related to the cost.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Ive got one that I'll let you have for free. Mostly because one of the pipes broke off when we removed it (we werent real careful with it) I suppose it could be welded back on if the welder is skillful enough. I just dont know with the heat and all. Plus I would think shipping would be a lot due to weight. But if youre ever in the DFW area...

OP
hymodyne

hymodyne

thanks to all for the suggestions, comments and time to vent a little.

UmmYeahOK, I think I'm interested in your header offer (free is a price I can't pass up) If you could give me an estimate for crating and shipping to 21081
I'd appreciate it. If possible, a picture would help the welder I have in mind decide if he's up to the task. (sorry that this is public UmmYeah, I don't know how to PM on this site yet.)

Hym

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hymodyne said:
I don't know how to PM on this site yet.)
Click on the poster's name to the left of the post, then choose "Send a PM".

booley

Jedi Trainee
I think the header that UmmYeahOK has fits the early head which Won't fit on a late head...
Shipping shouldn't be to bad and it could probably be welded, If it fits!

To send a PM, just click on the members name.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Easy way to determine which head is which (regardless of model year of the car itself) is this: if the intake and exhaust ports are more or less in line, i.e., all in the same plan, it's the early head. The later ones (also as TR6) had staggered ports, where the intake ports are higher than the exhaust ports.

OP
hymodyne

hymodyne

once again, thanks to all for the information and assistance. My GT6 is a '72 MK III,
so I'm expecting that UmmYeah's header will not fit. I'm in Africa right now and won't be able to check for sure until this time next month.
I'm trying to assemble as many parts and bits as I can before I get home so I can get straight to work on the restoration. It's been over 20 years since I regrettably parted out my 68 Mk II and I'm anxious to get this one stripped down so I can start the rebuild process. I haven't seen too many (none actually) triumphs here in Ghana in over 3 months in the capitol city. a few other British cars, Vauxhalls, a Cooper here or there, Leyland trucks, but nothing else, despite decades of British rule.
hym

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
The header came off a pre KC5000 GT6 MK1 engine. I have no idea if it will fit or not. I will have to take a pic later.

A local guy was giving away a free rolling GT6 chassis with engine and other extras. I had just had an issue with my crank, and if it werent for this forum, and hilsider of course, I would never have known about the great deal listed on triumphspitfire.com classifieds. In return, I have been trying to "pay it forward" for other triumph owners.

JImEgan

Headers look cool, but the stock manifold with a good clean up of the ports and a powder coating is better for the street. I have had a couple different brands and they all seem to give problems with the gasket seal and clearance at the chassis.