• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Noob with a big electrical question

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
I just got my first Sprite Thursday of last week. It had been sitting in a garage for 20 years. We got it running by Sunday, and driving by Monday.

However, there's an apparent major electrical outage. There are only two fuses on the car though, so I figured I'd ask if there is any obvious things to check out to look for breaks in continuity (or shorts.)

The top fuse seems to be powered up at all times. I can read 12vdc if I apply one lead of the DVM to the fuse and the other to ground.

The bottom fuse gets no voltage, key on or key off. This fuse must control the tachometer, lighting, etc..??? Because none of that works. one tail lamp turns on with the dash switch, but I have no brake lights, horn, turn signals, ignition light on the dash, etc...

However, I can turn the key to the on position and the coil powers up (as does the auxillary fuel pump, but we have it tapped into the coil power.) So the key switch does function at least in some manner.

521942221_f7b5f5407b.jpg

The fuse with the fat white main wire that branches off to three green wires seems to have no juice flowing through it.

So thanks anybody that can get me started on a fault finding mission /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
This should be the wiring diagram Diagram 1, and this should be the key.. As for the fault, trace the circuit and check for power and bad connections. Sitting that long there is bound to be corrosion on the bullet connectors. Clean them one at a time and be methodical. By the way, welcome.

Country flag
Are we going to tell him about the flaky rivets connections on the fuse box?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Naa, let him figure it out, after all he has to feel good about the job.

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
The wiring actually looks much better than it does on my '54 Ford. The difference is that it's not working /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I did spray the whole fuse block with contact cleaner, but will get after each and every connector on its own. Looking at the wiring diagram, I should be able to track down most of the grounds and give them a good once over.

I noticed last night that while running, the battery voltage doesn't rise, meaning my generator/regulator circuit either has bad parts, or a broken link as well.

Time will tell /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Thanks!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would not be susprised if the prob is one and the same.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
You might look at your reg. I switched mine to a alt. and had to adjust it. Our tech guys can clue you in on what you need to do. Anyway. congrats on the car running, its the first step. I remember a blunder of mine was the mounting screws to the fuse block got a little loose and grounded to the fuses yrs ago.

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Woohoo! All I had to do was undo some former owner's good intentions.

Lights, camera, action.. I have complete function of all electrics including the tach and generator is keeping the battery at 12.8vdc while running (about 2500 rpm right now until I get the timing/valves/carb set right.)

522598131_e9b269c4e9.jpg

522588892_62d0eaeeaf.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Way to go. Progress for sure.

Country flag
I think I saw a couple of your videos on Youtube.

Nice progress.

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Yeah, now that the electrical stuff is knocked out, I need to get a few things done. My valve cover gaskets I ordered should be in today at noon, so I can adjust the valves. Then I can fine tune the points, timing, and hopefully knock out the carbs and be on the road.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You're certainly wastin' no time! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

BTW: Welcome to th' Forum!

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I'm more of a driver than a restorer, so I can handle rusty. I just don't like it when it doesn't move or light up ;-)

In a lot of ways I have lucked out. The previous owner obviously didn't know what a car wash was, but they had the foresight to store it dry. It had no coolant, gasoline, or oil in the transmission. The rear end had oil in it, but I suspect because they didn't have a square tool that size to pull the plugs /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I had to fabricate my own tool out of a bolt with a grinder.

The transmission shifts into all gears, the engine barks fire, and we have the brakes 'sort of working OK' after four full bleeds. The clutch works just dandy after bleeding it.

Pretty cool stuff considering it's Rip Van Winkle past.

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Trevor Jessie said:
I think I saw a couple of your videos on Youtube.

Nice progress.

Yea and that was me filming the action, actually that is me working on the carb in the first video he posted.

G

Luke_Healey said:
I just got my first Sprite Thursday of last week. It had been sitting in a garage for 20 years.

Hmmm...

Luke_Healey said:
We got it running by Sunday, and driving by Monday.

..you must get your cars from a better quality of people than I do..

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Well, instead of worrying about restoring the car, I want to drive it. It wasn't really in that good of condition compared to most projects people take on. The difference is that I'm content with duct tape seats and rust everywhere.

I drove the car 150 miles yesterday and entered it in the British car show in Beaverdale, Iowa:

527144835_20808eb6fd.jpg

That revealed some issues that I've fired off a 200 dollar parts order to Victoria British to resolve by the end of this week /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

New rear brake cylinders, rebuild master cylinder kit, and transmission gaskets....

More photos, because I like to share!

527145353_581d98094b.jpg

527054672_2c9b4aff95.jpg

527053144_c6604978cb.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
SOOPAH!!!