• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

noob car show questions

walshja

Jedi Warrior
ok, so I live in CT, and there is a pretty good car show coming up.
British by the Sea
https://ctmg2005.homestead.com/files/bbts2009/bbts09info.html

I have never been to a car show, and therefore I have never enter a car into a show.

Looking at the registration form, there is no class for un-restored vehicles, so my question is do you still enter cars knowing you won't win?

Is it silly for me to enter my car? Or are these events just about having fun and showing your car.

Would my un-restored car be the only car that is not fully restored, and in perfect condition? I certainly wouldn't want to embarrass my Midget!

any input on what to expect, or level setting me is appreciated

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I'm a believer in doing what you want to do and the
opinions of others therefore matters little.
I actually got a kick out of the cold shoulder the
hot rod crowd gave my BE at a recent car event.
The kids will LOVE your Midget!
Have a good time. Worrying about winning or embarrassment
would be counter productive to having a good time.
Just go with the flow and relax.
For what it's worth....I think your Midget looks super!
Ohm...spridget,spridget,spridget....Ohm
:winner1: YOU!

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
considering this is a picture they have on the website of past shows I don't think you need to worry about being the odd guy out ... :smile:

https://ctmg2005.homestead.com/files/bbts2006/bbts2006l.jpg

and on that note, if you want to share your car with others & enjoy seeing other peoples cars just go and have fun, that's what LBC's are all about in my opinion - FUN - I have been in a few shows and never even thought about winning or what class I should be in, just enjoy the day, lifes to short for anything else :smile: in my humble opinion.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
ha !!!

I just was looking to see if there would be other un-restored cars there. If these shows are for pristine, restored cars then I certainly don't want to enter my car.

but, if these shows are for all cars, then I will enter. I really don't care about winning, I just don't want to be somewhere I shouldn't be

make sense? I liken this to me entering a poetry contest, when I don't even read poetry. am I entering a show where only restored cars enter? or are these shows for all cars, regardless of condition.

Is anyone going to British by the Sea?

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi Joe,

Shirley and I have entered our TR6 in some pretty nice shows and even ours is not even close to a show quality car and we put a lot of miles on it the shows are always happy to have us and the visitors are appreciative of it being there. We also go to a lot of cruise nights and are often the only LBC in the lot. In fact we are the only LBC in our car club. Main thing is to have fun.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For me, there was nothing worse than going to the shows and saying "I have one of these, but I left it at home".. .. .. I'm never going to win any award at a show, but by entering I get a fantastic parking spot so I can look at the other people's cars. Go, Enter, Enjoy, BE HAPPY!

pakiwi

Joe,
Go and enjoy the day. You will no doubt meet some interesting people, with nice cars. You may even see something interesting. I take one of my three daughters to one of the local ones and we walk around, look at the cars. When I stay at my cars, you will find that kids like the car. I am alwyas willing to take people for a drive. Some people are like hawks and tell people not to touch the car. I let them hop in if they want to take a photo. My car is also unrestored and has 18,000 miles on it and people do ask questions about the car because it is in very good condition. Though this may change over time as now I have pretty much all the small things I needed to get done, it is being driven, because that is what is the fun thing about these cars.

On a similar note, I went out for a drive with a local MG club, thinking I might enjoy some great fellowship, like on the board. I was the only midget, and I can't say it was a good experience. I am still trying to meet up with another Midget owner that we can help each other and enjoy the drives.

Enjoy,
Allan

Country flag
Joe, unrestored cars with patina are VERY desirable. You will probably find people have great interest in your car. Just be sure to say "hello" to everyone that walks up and looks at it (even if they do not make eye contact with you). Then they know you are willing to answer questions.

Hey Alan, don't forget your area Healey club. There are probably some Sprite owners there that would like to be included.

I belong to my local generic British Car Club and my local Healey club. I'm going to try and organize some things for spridgets because they span both clubs. I'm referring to it as a Spridget Coterie.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I have such a riot at the cruise-in here in town it's ridiculous. There's a Corvette club that overruns the place every week, they may snub me but I just laugh at them with their row upon row of look-alikes (the cars and them decked out in the their Vette-wear). (I need a t-shirt that says something about an inverse relationship between horse power and sex drive or something like that just for the Corvette crowd...)I love to talk to people there and I've been setting kids in the driver's seat the last few weeks. Last time I heard a Dad warning his son not to touch my Midget I just laughed and threw the kid in the seat and showed him where the horn button was (mistake btw).
It seems the LBC people are by far the most real somehow, doesn't it?
I have never entered a car show, those I don't quite get, judge it? What's to judge? it's obviously cool, duh.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I went to that show two years ago and it's a good one with a decent turn out. All types of cars show up. Definitely take your unrestored car. The great part about a show is meeting all the other owners and talking about your British Car afliction. Not all cars at teh show are restored so don't worry. Sure there will be some guys who's cars are way over the top and they are VERY competitive... but that's fine. Just go and enjoy yourself and talk about your car, it's all great fun.

As I recall there were a good number of Spridgets at that show.

Let us know how it goes.

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Joe,

I`ve been to a ton of shows in the NE with various cars from a "Diamond in the Rough" JagXK140 to an "Almost Restored" MGA.

Most shows are voted by a "Popular Vote" being submitted by the participants.

Everyone enjoys looking at the cars regardless of the condition. Its just neat to see "Old Cars" period.

I`ve only seen one show where they specified "Concours" cars only by invitation (Pebble Beach type Stuff - Out of my class). Personally, I don`t even enjoy these type of shows.

I would much prefer (As I believe) the majority of people would prefer; Is to see cars that an owner has been wrenching, dripping blood, cursing, working on their own cars with their own Blood, Sweat & Tears.

So; Go for it!! Its a day of Fun!!

Russ

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
As others have said, it's up to you and whether you want to show your car. Or, as I prefer to think of it, how proud are you of your car? If you're proud, then show it often! Who cares what anyone else thinks. I know that I prefer interesting cars rather than the standard trailer queen crowd. (and no car ever came with *that* much chrome on it's engine - I get so annoyed with overchromed american cars)

From a technical perspective, your car should go into whatever is the appropriate category regardless of state of restoration. If you have provenance/information about the car, bring it. Theory being theory, a perfectly operational original car (aka survivor) should beat out any whistle pretty restoration. Judging is/should be based on originality. If the car is original (but not "show quality") then there are rules for jusdging the car as is that grant points based on the fact that it's original.

I'll give an example. I've an old '53 Studebaker Champion Sedan. It's nothing special, but it is just as it came from the factory with 50+ years of normal aging. In comparison to the '57 Chevy that it normally gets placed against, it often places fairly high, if not winning. But that's because the judging rules cannot detract points for the age of original equipment (interestingly enough, if you start fixing things, then can then start deducting).

But in the end, it doesn't matter, if you are proud and happy with your car, enter it in the show and share that with everyone else. People will always appreciate an enthusiastic owner!

Cheers!
Jody

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
ok, based on all your feedback, I will be taking the wife and kids to our first car show !!

any tips? what should I bring? chair?

and interesting comments that an original car should judge higher than a restored car, I had no idea. and the participants do the voting? is it bad to vote for myself?? lol

I am really excited !!

thanks for all your input everyone.

tomshobby

Yoda
Shirley and I take a picnic lunch, chairs, sun screen, camera, and rain/wind breaker shell jackets. And in our TR6 we also take a 12'x12' Eureka screen tent. We also take either a photo board or a laminated sheet with some of our cars history and what we do to enjoy it. We have a pair of teddy bears one on an old time pilot's gear complete with goggles and one in an old time dress and hat that we place in the seats. And of course our smiles, these are automatic, and an interest and appreciation for other folk's cars, also automatic.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Bring chairs, sunscreen, a picnic and photos of your car or stuff you've fixed. I keep an album with my car, but I've done a complete restoration. I also bring a few cold beers and red cups to enjoy them discretely.

Have fun!

Country flag
Bring your work business card or personal card or preprint something with your contact information on it. Shows can be excellent ways to make friends and contacts! You'll be glad you brought something like that.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
You will have a great time. Make sure your wife brings a book and something to entertain the kids. They will be bored!

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
tomshobby said:
Shirley and I take a picnic lunch, chairs, sun screen, camera, and rain/wind breaker shell jackets. And in our TR6 we also take a 12'x12' Eureka screen tent. We also take either a photo board or a laminated sheet with some of our cars history and what we do to enjoy it. We have a pair of teddy bears one on an old time pilot's gear complete with goggles and one in an old time dress and hat that we place in the seats. And of course our smiles, these are automatic, and an interest and appreciation for other folk's cars, also automatic.

the TR6 isn't much bigger than the Midget, is it? where are you putting all that stuff !!! lol

tomshobby

Yoda
walshja said:
tomshobby said:

the TR6 isn't much bigger than the Midget, is it? where are you putting all that stuff !!! lol

Actually the tent, chairs, and our jackets go in the boot. Along with, forgot to mention these, some basic cleaning products for a touch up, and a small, 6"x12"x5" tool box with a few very basic things. The rest goes behind the seats.