• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB LOCKING GAS CAP FOR A 1973 MGB

G

We recently drove our 1973 MGB on a weekend rally. We were lucky but several others woke the next morning to find empty gas tanks. We found a well lighted parking space near the office. Those who parked in the shade or away from the main flow lost their fuel. I run premium in my MGB and would be extremely upset if someone removed it without my permission, especially at todays fuel prices. Does anyone know where I can purchase a locking fuel cap for a 1973 MGB? If you have a used one and want to sell it please send me an email. Remember to park in a visible spot or do not leave your MGB unattended. The sun is shining and I am going for a drive! <font color="red"> </font> <font color="green"> </font>

OP
G

Thanks, but this gas cap fits a 1962 - 1969 MGB. The only way this would work would be to change the fuel filler tube and the outlet. I wanted to keep the original system.

OP
G

I had one on my '72 years ago and it should be the same. I don't remember exactly where I got it (sorry) but I think it was a universal type from a local auto supply such as Discount Auto Parts. It might be worth a trip up to one with your gas cap in hand to compare sizes. It would be the rim type lock on with the center protruding down into the opening with the gasket on the end of that.
I used it for years until someone bumped my bumper and damaged it. By that time I had decided I no longer wanted to mess with the keys etc and I moved to an area where the car was locked up.
Bob

OP
G

I just looked on the Autozone web site and this is what I found. It says it is a locking gas cap.
GAS CAP

CST GAS CAP for a 1972 MG MGB

Unit Price: $15.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: 5500
Weight: 0.00 lbs.
Warranty:
Availability: Online: Special Order
Store: Special Order
Note:
Sorry, I should have put in 1973. It should be the same but I went back and the web site wouldn't give me anything else but a 1972.

Steve_S

Yoda
You should park there again, only put a bladder of water in the tank for them to suck out. It shouldn't be difficult to figure out who did it the next day when you see someone draining water from their gas tank in the middle of the road.

OP
G

One thing a friend of mine used to do when neighborhood gas was missing was to leave a gas can out in the drive way filled with kerosene or diesel fuel and loaded up with sugar. You just might see a car stalled on the side of the road somewhere near where you left the can.

OP
G

I recently read where a young man tired of being ripped off of his expensive gasoline somehow ran a 110 volt line to his gas tank filler neck. He just about electrocuted the would be gas theif. The gas theif sued and won because no theft took place and it is against the law to set a trap or to trap someone. I like your suggestions though!!

OP
G

I have someone looking for the gas filler neck for a 1962-1969 MGB. I will change the filler tube and can get the correct locking cap from Moss or Victoria British. Thanks for all your help!

OP
G

That'll work. Tony at "theautoist.com" should have a used one.
Bob