• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Early 100-Six Locking Door Handle

D

Duane_Rhynard

Early 100-Six Locking Door Handle

Does anyone have, or have knowledge of a locking door handle for the early 100-Six on the right side of the car as in the first picture below?

????
AHdoor.jpg

Regular LHD locking handle for the early 100-Sixes
AHdoor2.jpg

Thanks,
Duane

OP
D

Duane_Rhynard

The lock might have to do with the driver's side door, since that car looks to be right hand drive.
Bob

The red Healey is the only early 100-Six car I've ever seen with a lock on the right side. All the RHD cars I've seen look like the one below, with the lock on the left side!

Capture12.JPG

Capture13.JPG

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Duane, I agree - all I have seen are on the left side. I think the red car photo may be a mirror image. There is something below the sill that looks like an exhaust? and something below the bumper that could be an exhaust? On top of that, I can't see the gas tank fill? So I held a mirror up to the monitor and it looks like a normal left hand drive 100-6, as seen from the left side. Anybody else see what I'm seeing?
Dave

terp83

Dave,

I would agree that the photo of the red car might be a mirror image. The steering wheel appears to be on the near (right) side of the image, as the positioning of the outside mirror would render it pretty much useless if the steering wheel was on the far (left) side of the image.

Jerry

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Duane_Rhynard, did you find those pictures of the OEW/black 100-6 on a car sales website? You might be interested to know that that very car was the first BN4 to be supplied new in Queensland!

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On the early 100 6 (Longbridge)the driver door was with the lookng door - My car arrived from USA with the handle empty hole, closed with a plate piece- looking was impossible to find for AH -but fortunathely I find one Aston Martin DB 2 handle on e bay (incredibly they have the same handles)and wedding the two handles I obtain the right
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770819864514987162/DropBox#5456940654898716818
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770...MayJune2011endMayJune2013#5782887023097757378
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770819864514987162/DropBox#5582820954791148306

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yes the right side door is lockable but you can only do it by flipping a tag on the bottom of the door handle unit on the inside.:driving:

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
FWIW, I have never locked my soft top cars, and try not to carry any valuables that are visible. My theory is if the thief can't open a door, he'll just cut his way in through the top. Maybe I'm just too cynical! Jim

Last edited:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Agree, Jim. I've seen too many convertibles with slashed tops. Healey eventually figured out that the door lock was pointless and eliminated them on the 3000 roadsters.

OP
D

Duane_Rhynard

Duane_Rhynard, did you find those pictures of the OEW/black 100-6 on a car sales website? You might be interested to know that that very car was the first BN4 to be supplied new in Queensland!

Yes, very interesting, thanks!

Will someone be so kind as to contribute to my Healey education? Why would only one door lock? Does the other door have a way to lock it, otherwise a thief could just enter through that side?

Internal Locking Mechanism for the early 100-Sixes
P2290094.jpg

FWIW, I have never locked my soft top cars, and try not to carry any valuables that are visible. My theory is if the thief can't open a door, he'll just cut his way in through the top. Maybe I'm just too cynical! Jim

The locks would "work" if you had a hardtop, but if a thief really wants in any car, there is no way to really stop them other than a trunk monkey!

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The locks would "work" if you had a hardtop, but if a thief really wants in any car, there is no way to really stop them other than a trunk monkey!

Maybe with a BJ7/8, but side curtains only require a moderately sticky finger to open.

Agree with using a Trunk Monkey, except no monkey I know can get in a Healey trunk. :highly_amused:

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Here's another photo (from a slide) of the same car, being sold now on eBay(photo, not car). Right side door without lock, so original shot was reversed. Good detective work whoever spotted the reversal!image.jpeg

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Does anyone have the start and end dates for the locking door handles? In other words, did all 100-6's have locking door handles on the driver's side? I ask because I have a BN6 that I am restoring and I am not sure if it has the correct driver's door.

OP
D

Duane_Rhynard

Does anyone have the start and end dates for the locking door handles? In other words, did all 100-6's have locking door handles on the driver's side? I ask because I have a BN6 that I am restoring and I am not sure if it has the correct driver's door.

Richard,

According to Clausager, the door lock was installed on BN4's from the beginning of production in May '56 until September of '57. It is very possible that an early BN6 may have been fitted with a door lock, I've seen a picture of a drivers side door lock on an early BN6 that was for sale, but no knowledge if it was truly original. The Longbridge glass washer bottles and chrome washer pump were continued (According to Clausager) until BN6/1183, and are shown in the BN6 parts list.

Thanks,
Duane