• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Have TR's ever had locking steering column's?

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Good day fellow British car enthusiasts. As you can tell from my signature photo my devotion to British cars lies with the Austin Healey marque. However, I would like to know if any TR's were ever equipped with "locking steering column's"? I'm currently restoring a 1962 model AH that did have that feature. The car was shipped to Dusseldorf Germany where that option was necessary. If it's true TR's were equipped with that feature, does anyone on this Forum have one?
Thank you for responding.
Johnny

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I have never heard of a TR with a locking steering column. But while visiting England in 1998, I met a chap with a dark blue TR5 and he had installed a steering wheel and column that locked. I noticed when I parked next to him in the car park at the pub that he had no steering wheel. When he parks his TR5, he takes his ordinary looking key and unlocks the steering wheel from the column, then he removes it. Then he takes the same key and locks the column so it can't be tampered with. I recognized him in the pub. He was the chap with the steering wheel on the bar in front of him.

It reminded me of the Formula 1 race cars where the steering wheel is removed to let the driver get in or out.

D

DougF

All TR6's after 1969 had the key under the steering wheel to allow for a locking column. I believe it was mandatory for all cars sold in the USA from 1970 on to have them.

tomshobby

Yoda
I greatly dislike the under dash location of the switch. I have plans to move it back to the dash support.

I would think that anyone knowledgeable enough to hot wire one of these cars would also know enough to punch out the ignition switch lock to disable the steering lock.

I also plan on having the tumblers changed so the key can be used either way. I don't know if they are all this way but my ignition key will fit either way but only works one way. A real pain especially at night.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
DougF said:
All TR6's after 1969 had the key under the steering wheel to allow for a locking column. I believe it was mandatory for all cars sold in the USA from 1970 on to have them.
You're right, of course. In my initial response, I was thinking only in terms of pre-1970 cars, especially those built for markets other than the US, when I replied.

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
DougF said:
You're right, of course. In my initial response, I was thinking only in terms of pre-1970 cars, especially those built for markets other than the US, when I replied.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply, greatly appreciated. Now, do you think it'll fit a Austin Healey? The steering column, on which the lock surrounds, is 1 5/16" in diameter, and yes it does fit underneath the steering wheel. I'll take a photo and add it here:

Attachments

• 8998.jpg
    8998.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 83

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Johnny,

I measured the ignition and steering column lock assy I bought to replace the balky one in my TR6. Looks a lot like yours but I got 1 1/4" for diameter.

Jeff

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tomshobby said:
I don't know if they are all this way but my ignition key will fit either way but only works one way. A real pain especially at night.
Shouldn't be that way ... likely your key is worn or damaged so it's no longer symmetrical. You might be able to solve the problem by having someone like Pete Groh read the code from the key and then make a new key by the code.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don Elliott said:
When he parks his TR5, he takes his ordinary looking key and unlocks the steering wheel from the column, then he removes it. Then he takes the same key and locks the column so it can't be tampered with.
I've seen a Mach I Mustang with a similar arrangement; except that instead of locking the column, there was a dummy hub that locked in place of the steering wheel. The dummy hub had a bearing inside, so it would just spin freely.

roofman

Jedi Knight
Keep in mind the TR6 steering shaft has a keyway cut in for the lock.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Which IMO would be easy to add with a Dremel & cutoff wheel.

tomshobby

Yoda
TR3driver said:
tomshobby said:
I don't know if they are all this way but my ignition key will fit either way but only works one way. A real pain especially at night.
Shouldn't be that way ... likely your key is worn or damaged so it's no longer symmetrical. You might be able to solve the problem by having someone like Pete Groh read the code from the key and then make a new key by the code.

Hi Randall, that is what I thought too. But the car does not have a lot of miles and the key shows very little wear.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well the problem has to be the key, since it is supposed to be symmetrical (meaning each side is identical to the other, so the tumblers are lifted to the same position regardless of which way the key is inserted). Possibly it was miscut when the key was made (or copied). But certainly replacing both the cylinder and the key will solve the problem.

Another way would be to take the cylinder out, find which way the key doesn't work, then gently file the offending tumbler until it does. Or if the key lifts the tumbler too high when it's the wrong way, you could work that place and side of the key down a bit (but obviously that won't work if it doesn't life high enough).

Or, you could buy a blank, and hand-match it to your cylinder. I believe TRF sells most Triumph blanks (tho I have no idea which one is correct for your TR6) as do several sellers on eBay.

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Jeff, that might work because the top part has a screw through it that contacts the column for adjusting. Could you please measure the part that goes up in the steering shaft, the AH one I have measures 7/16" by 8/32".
Thanks again Jeff, I see one on ebay for about $140 that looks brand new.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aloha Johnny,

The bar that goes up into the steering shaft is 5/16" wide and about 1/2" long (it has a slightly rounded shape on the front & rear ends). It sticks up about 7/32". I tried to add some photos but don't seem to be able to attach tnem right now - I'll post a PM.

TRF has ones that are brand new for about that. I got mine for much less on eBay but maybe I was just lucky.

As for keys, the one in my early '74 (production date Oct 73) has a single edge key, but the one from e-Bay has a double-sided key.

Jeff

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] As you can tell from my signature photo my devotion to British cars lies with the Austin Healey marque[/QUOTE]

You see, we actually kind of like you Healey guys over here.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Unlike those MG and Lotus freaks...

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Here's the link to the TRF lock mechanism:

Column Lock

I never had one of these on my TR6's, but I think my 78 Spitfire was set up this way.

Randy

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks so much Randy, I have contacted TRF and am waiting for a call. It looks like I might be able to retrofit a TR6 lock to a AH how about that!
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif
And a very Merry Christmas to all.