• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It was only a matter of time!

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
Just got my Healley back from having stero installed. I went back to the post "The Sound of music" looking for advice but only found comments of under dash speakers which just didn't satisfy me! Enter the new dawn of Healey streo systems! My apologies to the purists!

Attachments

• 26175.jpg
    26175.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 535
OP
M

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
I can say I'm quite happy with the sound even at highway speed with the top down. Granted my header and 2" exhaust still fill the empty notes!

Attachments

• 26179.jpg
    26179.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 520

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Drawing all that power from a Lucas system, you'll be able to play all of your favourite tunes, like "Smoky places", and "Smoke gets in your eyes".

RAC68

Darth Vader
Great job. I know it will provide a great deal of enjoyment …. especially on longer drives. I like how you installed the speakers. Did you need to cut the kick panels to install the speakers?

Over the years of owning my Healey, I too wanted to hear something more than the sound of the exhaust. A while back, I decided to install a modern sound system and chose an Acura Bose system with a head unit containing an AM/FM/Tape/Disk, equalizer, and sub-woofer/amplifier in my BJ8 P1.

Dash%252520Healey.jpg

To retain my original console and BMC radio, I decided to replicate the vertical dash with an appropriate angle and width to allow the head unit to be installed and clear the heater box. Mid rang speakers are installed in panels on each side of the vertical console with sufficient baffling to separate the sound. Directional tweeters have been installed at each end of the dash with the sub-woofer within the spare (wheel and tire as the enclosure not perfect but OK) and amplifier under the battery.

100_0270.jpg
100_0369.jpg

This addition to my BJ8 P1 has been one of the best and I really enjoy driving down a great road while listening to a Beach Boys tape.

Enjoy,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Congratulations Money pit. It's nice to see how creative people are.
As Lin posted, I too am curious, about the spare tire.

Semi-purist here.
My compete system is hidden.
Navigation/mp3 player, behind speaker grill. Grill is now held in place around templet with 4 small magnets.
Four speaker, with bass, treble contol. Under dash, 2 left, 2 right.
Volume control hidden in ashtray.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Allow me to hoot Roger's hooter:

JNQOGVA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

His mods are extremely well thought out and tasteful. I installed speakers in the kick panels as well, which did require cutting into the steel panel and probably not for everyone. The nice thing of installing there is the inner part of the fender makes a good speaker box for some better sound quality.

PS - Roger, I finally installed the trunk seal you recommended. Worked great. :cheers:

OP
M

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Ray

Great job with your system! Love the idea of the subwooker in the spare! I ended up having a set of new kcks put in with the slimmest speaker I could get which was Hertz. I'm not sure how the car installers do it but they custom make the kicks and I ended up buying some extra material from Heritage Upholstery to match originals kicks that I now have in storage. Don't really lose much foot room given I was blessed with size 12's!

Robb

OP
M

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
AUSMHLY

Only to have a the luxury of a dash like yours! As much as I like the older style that I have it certainly does have it's limitations. You set the benchmark with your idea's and your work is far beyond my talents. Nice job!

Robb

OP
M

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
Rick

All I can say is your one sick F*#k and I mean that in the nicest way! What fantastic ideas and the video just pushes it over the top! With the talent you've got I might have to fly you to Canada to do a 20 yr. anniversary video for me! Ah! scrap that thought you can just help me work on the courtesy light system! Crazy!
Nice work!

Robb

OP
M

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Rich

You'll never regret the sound and the looks you get when you crank the sound besides the teenagers, well...... Priceless!

Kenwood KDCX994 Head unit with USB plug and detachable cover plate. USB great for MP3 player or iphone

Kenwood KAC8405 Amp

Kenwood KFCW100F Excelon flat 10" Woofer

Hertz Space 6.5" Component Set

Enjoy!

Robb

OP
M

Money_Pit

Jedi Hopeful
Tri carb

Thanks! It was all worth it in the end. I was worried about losing the bass on the road and as much as I'm not a teenager it sure makes the difference!

Cheers!

Robb

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Money_Pit said:
Rick

All I can say is your one sick F*#k and I mean that in the nicest way! What fantastic ideas and the video just pushes it over the top! With the talent you've got I might have to fly you to Canada to do a 20 yr. anniversary video for me! Ah! scrap that thought you can just help me work on the courtesy light system! Crazy!
Nice work!

Robb

Let's get this straight. The vid belongs to AUSMHLY and his BJ8 has some of the best mods I've seen on a BJ8. I'd be proud to be described as a "sick as f*ck" Healeyer, but that would have to come from sticking a small block Ford into a BJ7: https://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Money_Pit said:
Ah! scrap that thought you can just help me work on the courtesy light system! Robb

Robb,
I'd suggest using LED and or neons for the courtesy lights.
They don't draw much power, outlast incandecents and very easy to wire up provided your car is negative ground.
Here's a photo of my blue led/neon courtesy set up.
Cheers,
Roger