• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A I am ready to throw in the towel on the TR3 engine

G

Yep, I got the word back today from the machine shop. The head is cracked! They Magnfluxed it and several small cracks showed up. Not interested in getting it pinned or welded. He says the block looks ok, hasn't gotten to the crank yet. Loosing interest real fast, especially after having traced some leads on a body and frame. WAY too expensive for this time in my life. I think I will just kick back and enjoy my TR6 and stop torturing myself. So, here's the deal. To try and recoup some of my expenses on the machine shop work, I want to hock the few parts that have any value. If the crank checks out ok, that is sellable. The block professionally cleaned and Magnafluxed, but shipping will negate any value. The connecting rods are good. Cracked head becomes a boat anchor. The biggie is the A-type overdrive. I will check with John Esposito, he had made and offer a while back. Now the kicker. I just got in the brand new Mahle 87mm liners and pistons, which TRF will gladly take back. $899.95, American money. If anyone is interested, let me know now, otherwise they get freighted back to TRF. Various and sundry other things are salvageable, otherwise, to the dump....

Bill

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wise, choice, Grasshopper! From the beginning, it sounded like this wasn't your baby. Better to let go now, and I'm sure you'll recover what you've got in it.

Mickey

Musicman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bill,

I'm sorry to that news. I think you're making the right decision.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Re: I am ready to throw in the towel on the TR3 en

Sorry to hear about the magnaflux findings, but better now than later. Look at it this way, summers here and so is your TR6. Go to it and have fun with that!!

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight

TR6Bill, almost ALL machine shops will tell you that the head is cracked,always at the bridge between the valves,some or all.Here is the news flash,almost all TR3/4 heads are.What to do? use it.I am willing to bet that half of the TR3/4 heads on this forum are cracked too. Its not ideal but it will work,the crack to wory about is the one that goes to a water passage. Ask any MGA/B owner what thier machine shops say about those heads,dollars to donuts that I am driving one right now in my old TR3,which happens to put the fear of god into stock 75/76 TR6 owners.Dont give up on that engine.

Bruno_69z28

TR6Bill
BOXoROCKS is right. I just rebuilt my TR4 motor. The machine shop said the head was cracked. The car ran great with the cracked head before the rebuild, so I had them pin it. No problem with it yet, only oil leaks on the rear seal. The crank was also cracked from a bad grinding on the prior rebuild (not enough radius on the journals)

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Bill, Could you possibly send a picture with the cracks highlighted with a black marker.
Tom Lains
ts8651
ts58107

jerrybny

Jedi Knight

Sorry to hear that Bill. But like a few of the responses stated maybe the head is still usable.

R6MGS

Yoda

It's one of those days here too, I am ready to throw in the towel on just about every one of `em.....Maybe you should sleep on it a bit, and try again with a fresh mind...usually works for me.

tomshobby

Yoda

Bill, I have been there and understand the frustration. Eventually I remember that the reason I felt that way is the burning desire to reach the dream. The frustration seems to be some multiple of the size of the dream. Because of that the projects that mean the most can easily be the most frustrating.

I find if I can realize that and regroup my thoughts that I can get back to a place where I can enjoy the project again.

All the best to you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight

Can you not buy a cylinder head without cracks?
I have done this in the past when I cracked a head badly through overheating. They are available at reasonable prices in my area, say $150 Canadian.
Simon.

swift6

Yoda

You could always go the aluminum head route as well. It's only money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tomshobby

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
You could always go the aluminum head route as well. It's only money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of that yesterday but thought Bill already was feeling bad. It is an idea though!

Think how purty it would look on top of those beautiful new pistons!

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could always go the aluminum head route as well. It's only money.

Does anyone know where to get the aluminum head for a 71 tr6, i tried a few places but they say there not in production yet....?

OP
G

I just went over to the Revington TR site to ogle the aluminum head and spit up fresh Community Dark Roast Coffee all over my keyboard. Let's see if my math is correct: Al head + Mahle pistons and liners = 3K bucks. A little rich for having no body yet. Think I'll punt. Going to the machine shop tomorrow for the rest of the story. May not be that bad. Or, may be a boat anchor. We'll see.

Bill

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Like I said, I don't think your heart has been in this from the beginning. Law of diminishing returns at work here?

Mickey

swift6

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
I just went over to the Revington TR site to ogle the aluminum head and spit up fresh Community Dark Roast Coffee all over my keyboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I'm of mixed emotions about the aluminum TR6 head that is in development. Might have to put a nitro pill under my tongue before looking at it's price tag and I don't even have heart problems. Like I said, it's only money. Can't take it with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, you could make a pretty sweet 4cyl going that route. Too bad you don't have anything to put it in. Maybe someone else might get an idea from this discussion though and pick up the torch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
G

Well, it's a done deal. The tranny/A-type overdrive has been scooped up by John Esposito at Quantum. (apparently some of the parts in this box are virtually impossible to get). The rest I will farm out as I can. Now I can concentrate on putting a new ring gear and clutch in my TR6 tranny. All the parts are in save the ring gear, which is in the mail.

Bill