• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

hub puller

jeffreyc1980

Freshman Member
Hi everyone,
My name is Jeffrey Cadorette I live in South East Florida and I own a 1980 Triumph Spitfire. Although this car has seen hurricanes and floods during its life I'm not sure it will make it through a rear axle hub removal if I cant locate a hub puller. If anyone knows where I can buy one, rent one, or have one made please let me know. You can email me at Jeffreyc1163@aol.com or call me 954 547 6315
Thanks in advance you crazy brit owners lol

D

DougF

Welcome to the forum. Have you contacted a rental business such as General Rental?
You could also try Harbor Freight.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
PM me please. I have the tool from Canley Classics.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Don't try to remove it without the correct puller. It will ruin the hub. I know. I've tried to buy a puller off ebay and they usually end up going for $100. I once saw one on the web site that someone had fashioned out of an old brake drum. Haven't seen it in a while though and don't recall exactly how it was done.

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
I have these hub puller drawings that I pulled from the web based on a search. Hmm can't figure out how to attach. Send me a PM with and email and i will email.
I built this by getting a pipe flange and some steel pipe and plate and buying a lead screw and nut from a local outfit.
I thought I had a photo but can't find it will post tonight.
Since I am in Washington state and it's heavy it probably not practical to loan this to you.

G

Is it the same size as the 6 hub? If so there's a guy in quebec selling a new puller he's designed and built. I think he's on here at times.

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Hmmm may need to modify the bolt pattern but the basics would work.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
jeffreyc1980 said:
Thanks for the information? Do you know the guys name is he a member on here??

Look at Scot Hower's post above - he says he has the tool you need - PM him.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
The factory's tool was called;a 'Churchill Tool'...Go the NASS site(NorthAmericanSpitfireSquadron)&ask around some their loan them out.
Nass has a Yahoo(classic car)public site,log in & ask around.The hub puller designed for this car is a dangerous tool :nonono: to use unless used carefully.When the hub pops it flies off. :grouphug:

OP
J

jeffreyc1980

Freshman Member
Thanks'
I didn't know this was going to be so difficult to find. I watched a blog video of a guy removing the hub he only loosened the lock not. H did not remove it all the way so the hub would not go flying off. but thanks for the warning! I hope i find one soon!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Jeffrey -

I will mail this tool to you at the address supplied in your PM. Do you have an impact wrench?
I will not be a happy bunny if I don't get it back. :smile:

--Scott

OP
J

jeffreyc1980

Freshman Member
I do have an impact wrench but was not planning on using it on the hub puller. Please rest assure it will be retuned and I very much appreciate you lending it to me. Thanks so much! Do you except american money not sure what the exchange rate is?

cutlass29

- me thinks you are gonna need the impact wrench...those things are on there "TIGHT"...make sure you leave the nut in place or you could be picking yourself up off the floor the other side of the garage when it pops.

puller2.jpg

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Jeffrey -

I shipped the Canley Classics hub puller to you this morning; it should be there on Monday morning.
Please post photos of your progress.

It is REALLY important that the hub face is bolted square to the face of the puller. You will almost certainly need impact tools or a breaker bar to pop it loose.

Cheers,
--Scott

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Their ya go my friend....Make sure you let it soak overnight :thirsty: BEFORE ya pull-it.
That could be important,BEFORE the :thumbsup: ethusiasm starts.Were ALL on a learning curve.
Ken

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
Sawa socket and breaker bar and a 20 oz hammer. Take the breaker to the main nut and tighten and then hit the bolt with a hammer and tighten some more and hit again with the hammer and the hub will pop right off, no impact wrench needed.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Earth to Jeffrey ...

Puller was delivered yesterday according to the tracking info. Please confirm receipt.
My last two PMs are currently unread...

G

I generally don't loan my toothbrush to anyone! Come to think of it, I don't loan out my tools, either! Seems as though too many folks have abused the privelege of using my world-class fine tools!