• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

hub puller

boeingpilot

Country flag
Anyone know where I can purchase a hub puller that will do TR hubs? I'm quite sure I don't want to go the Harbor Freight route here!

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Have you thought about renting?Maybe a good option if you only need it for a day.
Northern Hydraulics may be a inexpensive option compared the usual tool suppliers.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
boeingpilot said:
I'm quite sure I don't want to go the Harbor Freight route here!
:iagree:
You actually don't want <span style="font-weight: bold">any </span>sort of universal hub puller, as they will usually distort and ruin TR hubs. You'll have to find someone that has a replica of the factory tool (which looks kind of like a top hat).

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that has them for sale. Tony Gordon had his shop class make some repros some years ago, but I think there were only 8 or 10 completed and they sold instantly.

My suggestion would be to find someone with the tool, and either borrow the tool or have them separate the hubs for you. Herman van den Akker has the tool (actually a hydraulic version he designed and built himself) and used to perform the service, but I don't know if he still does. John Esposito and Mark Macy do, no doubt, and I'm sure there are others.

Here are a couple of articles, in case you decide to build your own:
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B2H...lMzI3&hl=en
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2H2NJt...kZTQ4&hl=en

(You'll need a Google account to access them, but it's free.)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's a shot of the (earlier) factory version

Fig7Rearhubpuller.jpg

As you can see, it applies force to all 4 studs and has a stout plate that reinforces the hub and holds it flat.

(That photo is actually the "small" Triumph version, suitable for Spitfire, GT6, etc. but the "big" puller is similar.)

OP
boeingpilot

boeingpilot

Country flag
I see someone on ebay has a Spit/GT6 hub puller for sale, but nothing for TR hubs. Thanx for the info about the universal pullers, I suspected as much.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
1 suggestion. Send it to C>A>R> @TRF to rebuild. I did.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Francois (theguyfromquebec) at one time made a puller for the TR6 - I think generally useable for other TRs - maybe he'll make another batch? His website

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
...Tony Gordon had his shop class make some repros some years ago, but I think there were only 8 or 10 completed and they sold instantly...

I think this is one of those...

TR%20Hub%20Puller.JPG

Beautiful work... Acme threads, perfect tight fit.

I got it from a TR lister who sold his TR4. Cheaper and certainly a lot less trouble to send your hubs off for separation than to ship this bad boy back and forth. In any case, no guarantee that even this would be enough to move a really stubborn hub.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here's one more option for you.....
I ran into the same problem at the beginning of the season. The bearings in my hub were disintegrated beyond belief!
TRF wanted $299... Good Parts hubs were $349.
For me the $50 difference was a no-brainer. The GP hubs are much better. I would at least have a look at them before making the decision to rebuild.

Attachments

• 22452.jpg
    22452.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 404

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm with Elliot on this . Might as well. Didn't even cross my mind.

OP
boeingpilot

boeingpilot

Country flag
Okay, I'm really liking the Goodparts hubs. Infact I think I'll go that route, but will those TR6 hubs work on my TR4A IRS? I think they will, but...? Anyone, anyone...?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good question... but I don't know.
Call Richard Good at Good Parts and ask him if no-one else responds.

<span style="font-style: italic">edit: Moss list the same part number for their hub for the TR4IRS AND the TR6 so I'm thinking the GP hub will fit.</span>

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
A guy in our car club had a hub puller made for the TR6 hubs. It worked real well on the TR6. When I tried to use it on my TR3 hubs, it didn't fit. It was actually too small to fit on the hub. If it had been made for the TR3, I think it would have worked on the TR6 because the hub diameter on the 6 is smaller then on the 3.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Hubs should be the same. I do seem to recall that the splined section of my TR4A half-shafts had a threaded cap which kept the splined sections from separating which the TR6 half-shafts didn't have, but that shouldn't matter with regards to the hub.

Scott

OP
boeingpilot

boeingpilot

Country flag
Thanx, Scott. After referencing 5 different shop manuals I came to the same conclusion. I'll confirm this with the Goodparts folks before pulling the trigger.

OP
boeingpilot

boeingpilot

Country flag
Quick update. Talked to Richard Good this morning, and his TR6 hubs will work on my TR4A. Thanks for all the info, gentlemen. I may still try to engineer my own hub puller though, just to see how it turns out.