• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel pump and mysterious cannister

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I took Dolly Clementine to a real garage last week to get the alignment checked after rebuilding the front suspension this winter. It was right on..amazing for a 30 YO car. But while he had it on the lift, the mechanic noticed a canister in the fuel line hanging down and rubbing against the reat spring and helpfully tied it up with a wire strap. On Sunday, I backed out of the garage and she stalled...after a little exploring, I discovered that when he tied it up, he pinched a rubber hose between the fuel line and the cannister. This cannister is about 5 inches long, maybe 2 inches in diameter and in hooked up between the fuel pump (I don't think it is an original pump) and the fuel line.

Does anyone know what the cannister is? A pressure restrictor? A filter, as it seems rather simple, in one end and out the other?

Does anyone have a good picture of what the fuel pump and related wiring and pumbing should look like?

I am half afraid to unhook it but I can't get enough fuel through it to keep the car running for more than a couple of blocks.

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Really sounds like an aftermarket fuel filter.
Some of the newer fuel filters (made for fuel-injected cars) are much larger than the traditional size filters used for carburetted cars....perhaps it's a filter intended for an injected car. It's probably fine (as long as it doesn't rub against anything).

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Another possibility is that this could be one of those "snake oil" add-ons designed to give better gas mileage/performance/emmissions/etcetera, fitted by a previous owner. Could be a fuel filter, but this sounds too bulky to be even an aftermarket item. Certainly doesn't seem to be anything that the factory may have fitted.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
.after a little I discovered that when he tied it up, he pinched a rubber hose between the fuel line and the cannister.
Does anyone know what the cannister is?
I am half afraid to unhook it but I can't get enough fuel through it to keep the car running for more than a couple of blocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this mean that you un-pinched the hose & still have problems? If so, the pinch must not have been causing the problem. The can is probably a filter which is a good thing to have, with old, possibly dirty tanks. If in doubt about the filter being clogged, replace it. If it filled up once, it is probably still needed, & may gradually fill up again.
D

OP
B

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Let me clarify...I moved the wire tie holding the cannister up onto the outlet, but the hose is still kinked a little bit to cause a slight restriction, due to the angle it is at now. I am pretty sure it is a filter, but is solid metal body, the likes of which I have never seen. I put a new gas tank in last year, so I don't think I need it...so I guess I will remove it and see what happens. I do have a see-through filter in the conventional location.

Thanks for the input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
B

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Thanks, Dave....I think we have identified it as a filter...soon to be removed and discarded, so the fuel line will align properly and let the gas flow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

The knowledge of the people on this Forum never ceases to amaze me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mjamgb

Agreeing with the others that it is most likely an aftermarket fuel filter.
The position (before the fuel pump?) is not a good one. The pump is weak in suction and will not pull fuel through a decent filter very well, much less a clogged one. A much better position is just before the carbs (and a place you can get to it easier). I have found that the 99-cent see-through plastic units are plenty good and easy to check whenever the bonnet is lifted.
When you do remove the offending cylinder invert it over a glass container (input side down) and take a good look at what comes out. Lots of rust chunks may mean a good flushing of the tank (at least) is in order.

Another possibility is that a small pool of water collected in the large housing of the filter. When it was re-positioned the water happily flowed up to your carbs. Checking the carb bowls may be wise as well!

Mike!

OP
B

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
thanks for the help...I untwisted the pinched hose and the gas is flowing fine now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the help...I untwisted the pinched hose and the gas is flowing fine now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still put in a small inline filter regardless if tank is new or not. These are quite small and can be well hidden or obvious. Won't be so big as to cause a kink problem. Available at any auto store.