• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fighting with spark plugs in an Explorer

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Hey guys,

Got one that has me flummoxed. I'm trying to change the spark plugs inthe family 2002 Ford Explorer. Now, this is not something that I would be compelled to write about. This being said, Iam finding it nearly impossible to get the plugs out.

I'll hazard a guess that the plugs are original. I am presently leaning onone plug using a 1/2" breaker bar with an extension as well as a cheater pipe on the end and I still can't get the plug loose. I'm actually afraid of exerting enough force to shatter the plug.

I havenever run into this before. The engine is totally cold, so there's no thermal expansion issues. We're taking the caron a road tripattheend of theweek and Iam petrified I'll bork thehead orsomesuchjust before we leave.

Jody

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Jody - if the plugs are stuck, here's what I'd do.

Mix ATF and acetone 50% each. Drip it down around the plug (I use an eyedropper) and let it sit for a day. Give the plug a turn. If it's still tight, drip more 50/50 mixture down and let it sit again. Keep at it.

I had the "stuck plug" syndrome on my 50+ year old Mercedes. The ATF/acetone trick worked like a charm. I actually turned the plug "tighter" a bit, dripped the mixture, let it set, then loosened a bit more. Lather rinse repeat.

Worked for me.

Tom

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

WEASEL PEE!!! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 25587.jpg
    25587.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 266
OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Tom,

Thanks, that was the direction I was heading. I also read last night about warming up the motor for 5 minutes then letting it cool a bit.

Honestly, if it hadn't gotten into SWMBO's head that the spark plugs needed changing I wouldn't be doing it right now, but she keeps pestering me about it.

Maybe I'll just tell her I changed 'em and deal with it after the road trip when she's not looking.

Jody

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The maintenance schedule for the 2002 Explorer says to change the plugs at 100K miles.

2002 Explorer manuals

So ... didn't you say your odometer shows 95K miles? :smile:

Never hurts to change the plugs on a well-used vehicle, but I'd say if it's running fine ... well ... if it ain't broke ...

Tom

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I remember hearing about something like that on Ford trucks.
Was recommended to take to the dealer - that way,if they break some-
thing,they fix it.
I would also check & see if there are any recalls on your rig.

- Doug

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
So, I figured I would share tonight's experience with y'all. I'm still pretty mad, but you can all laugh at my pain. The final item on the Explorer that needed to be taken care of in the car before our road trip was a new rafiator. I had found a hairline crack in the old one, and figured it wasn't a good idea to leave it like that for the drive.

I dove into it tonight after work. I've replaced many radiators over the years and figured it fell into the no big deal categody. Standing there in front of the car I realized I couldn't even see the raditor. I proceeded to remove the 35 and a half different plastic bots all shrouding the area (top and bottom of car). During this phase I managed to break at least 95% of the 3 million and two self-disintegrating Christmas tree connectors that Ford loves so much.

3 days later I finally had the radiator exposed. I found the four suprisingly small bolts that held it in place and when I went to determine the bolt size was suprised to realize they were pointing out, not in. So this means the bolt heads are somewhere in the sandwich that is comprised of the radiator, transmission cooler and a/c evaporator. I located the upper two bolt heads easily enough, and figured I could reach them no problem. Then i tried to find the lower bolts. It was at this point that I realized there was no way in heck to access them, they were underneath the oil cooler!

It is as this point that I figured I should probably refer to the manual......

And I learned that there are a series of brackets within brackets, and that you can't just remove the radiator, but have to remove the entire assembly, including the oil cooler. Just to make sure that there is both insult AND injury, the evaporator must be wiggled out of the compression mounts on the radiator assembly and very carfully hung there in space with mechanic's wire. The evaporator et al are decidedly flimsy and need a lot of support.

From there you need to bend both space and time to remove the radiator assembly, all the while dumping coolant and transmission fluid all over yourself. Then, once you extricate the mess you still have to unbolt the transmission oil cooler to get to the radiator.

Having done all this installation is the reverse of disassembly.

For the want of the direction of 4 bolts a 2 hour job (at a leisurely pace) is transformed into 5+ hours of language so coarse your wife is afraid to enter the garage. I sincerely hope there is a level of heck set aside for Engineers who come up with thissort of crap. They have to spend eternity repairing their totally ridiculous designs.

I feel better for having vented. :smile:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Cars are made to be assembled from the inside out. Dis-assembly from the outside in requires much wailing and gnashing of teeth. - ancient proverb

When I open the hood of my 2011 Nissan Altima, I see black boxes and a couple of dipsticks. I smile and carefully put the hood back down.

But on my 1958 Mercedes-Benz, I open the hood and have access (relatively speaking!) to everything in there. Remove a few bolts - parts are out and in my hands - tho' I've learned a few new four letter words (in German of course!).

When you see videos of how cars are assembled these days, you're amazed and confoozled. Sub-assemblies are put together by robots, then sent to moving belts and cranes where more robots take the sub-assemblies and assemble them to make larger sub-assemblies. Just trying to keep track of all the complex units being assembled into larger and more complex units is mind boggling.

robots.jpg

You are indeed a patient man to get as far as you did without planning a small nuclear explosion under the front end!

Tom
PS - how's the spark plug removal going?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They aren't just cars anymore. This all started with automatic transmissions. Then we had to have refrigerant. Electric windows, motors to move the SEATS(!?!), thermometers to tell us the EXTERIOR temp, tire pressure monitors, lights to warn of impending doom from the engine or low tire pressure...

Only thing I believe the 'new' cars have been built ~without~ is ashtrays. :madder: :wall:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Square axles.

How quaint. :jester:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
square axle? must have been through a focus group ...

MYoWX9c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
One of many reasons why I don't work on the modern daily drivers anymore. Geesh. A few years ago I had to replace the spark plugs on a 1990 Ford Aerostar (4L V6). Needed the world's longest extension to go in through a wheel well. I bet that was *still* easier than what you just got into.

I remember trying to do a basic service on a 2005 V-Strom (motorcycle) a couple years ago. Required 1/2 hour of fairing removal with lots of little plastic fasteners and clips just to get to where I could tip the gas tank up to get to the air filter.

On the '73 BMW I have now the tank comes off with two wing nuts -- not counting the third wing nut doing the work.
grin.gif

I'll stick to working on the old stuff.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
drooartz said:
One of many reasons why I don't work on the modern daily drivers anymore. Geesh. A few years ago I had to replace the spark plugs on a 1990 Ford Aerostar (4L V6). Needed the world's longest extension to go in through a wheel well. I bet that was *still* easier than what you just got into.

Had an Aerostar -rearended someone- car was in the body shop with the front end missing. Asked to have plugs changed then and was still charged $150 and that from a friend, took that long.

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
So, the kicker to all of this I discovered when I wanted to add fluid to the tranmission to replace what had been lost. On the Explorer the drain and fill are the same plug. Basically there's an inner and outer plug.

I took one look at the book and said screw it. The wife's at AAMCO right now having them ensure that the transmission has the correct amount of fluid.

I believe I may have to finally admitthat it's worth it to pay to have the modern cars fixed from now on. $10.00 says the next car will be so complex that I won't even be able to change the oil any more.

And people wonder why I'd rather drive a tatty old LBC......

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:iagree:

When some schmuck asks why I drive around in "that rusty old thing?" My stock answwer is: "Because ~I~ can FIX it if it breaks."

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
They aren't just cars anymore. This all started with automatic transmissions. Then we had to have refrigerant. Electric windows, motors to move the SEATS(!?!), thermometers to tell us the EXTERIOR temp, tire pressure monitors, lights to warn of impending doom from the engine or low tire pressure...

Only thing I believe the 'new' cars have been built ~without~ is ashtrays. :madder: :wall:

Doc,

Not all are automatics - the Wife's Fusion is a 5speed.I do agree
about some of the work on these modern vehicles,although there is still
some of it that comes down to common sense & experiance when doing it.
I don't care for those plastic covers that they put over the engines nowadays either.

- Doug

D

Deleted member 8987

That's why I drive A) flatheads with V-8's, manual trans, no Power anything (steering, windows, seats, etc), no EFI, no confusers, no additional wiring....AND generators! or B) old Brit iron.
Don't even need a battery to drive it.
Lose the key? Quick hot-wire and you're off....no column ignition/steering lock.
Fix it yourself, AFTER you open the bonnet and realize you can see everything.
The Jag is almost as simple, no power steering or windows, no automatic, there is an alternator, but it didn't come with one.

Progress, my axx.

Then there's the gummint, with the hidden from view attempt to remove you choice, with gasoline that won't keep, even with StaBil, will separate and actually attack rubber bits......emissions laws....even attempts to so enforce on cars never built with emissions controls of any type.

I'll just keep driving the old stuff and thumbing my nose at them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ya need to kill that post, Dave. :smirk:

...even tho it be truth.

Yer axx need not be hung out.