• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Life without Spark :(

BierRunner

Country flag
So, there I was, driving along a country road on a sunny Ohio morning, happy as Larry, however happy he is, when everything suddenly stopped. Thought is was fuel related, as did several kind hearted mechanics who stopped to assist me. However, there was none of that sputtering that occurs as the fuel stops getting to the carborators. In the end, it was suggested that there must be problem with vaccuum that was preventing the fuel from getting to the engine. Giving up, I had my sad TR6 towed to a professional who’s diagnosis was that the fuel was flowing correctly but there was no spark to make it work. In fact, while there is a ton of spark at the coil, it was not making it any further. He believes the distributor has failed and needs replacing. Unfortunately, a new distributor for a 1976 TR6 is not available. I took a look at Moss and, while I see distributors for TR2/3/4, there none for TR6.

Any ideas where we might look?

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
If there is spark at the coil, the distributor is almost entirely working. All the dist parts that make the coil give spark are under the cap. Once the coil gives up a spark, it goes out the thick wire to the dist cap and the rotor picks up the spark thru the middle tower and sends it to the outside tower the rotor is pointing at. From there it goes to the plug thru the thick wire on the tower that has received the spark from the rotor. Look for a bad cap, bad wires (mainly the big wire from coil to dist) or bad rotor.
Bob

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Gee whiz, you don't need a whole new distributor. I'm amazed that a halfway competent mechanic could come to that conclusion. From what you said, it is almost certainly the cap. Look at the center, inside--there should be a spring-loaded graphite piece that contacts the rotor. Is it still in place?

I suppose it could be the rotor, but it would have to be something really dramatic, like a big crack.

I usually scold people for randomly replacing parts to solve electrical problems, but at this point you have narrowed down the cause well enough to just replace the cap and rotor. I'll bet that fixes everything.

OP
BierRunner

BierRunner

Country flag
I was skeptical, that’s why I turned to you guys. Thank you!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Agree, you don’t need a distributor. As others have said take off the distributor cap and have a look. Let us know what you find.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I had the same thing happen and it was the rotor. You could not tell by looking at the rotor; it looked fine. Just pop a new one on. Yeh get away from those guys.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, if you stick around that shop, they'll be selling you another pair of carburetors because yours need a couple of fresh gaskets

OP
BierRunner

BierRunner

Country flag
Spoke to the shop this morning and they say they have replaced the cap, rotor and coil spark wire. I suggested they try the distributor condenser next. If that fails, I may be looking for another shop in Central Ohio. Any recommendations? I love Macy’s Garage in Dayton but they only have eight bays so there is a long waiting list.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Please clarify what you said about plenty of spark at the coil. What action was resulting in the spark? Where and how were you seeing the spark?
Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Are we sure we're looking at a points type ignition system here? No "smart box" Pertronics or the like?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I usually scold people for randomly replacing parts to solve electrical problems, but at this point you have narrowed down the cause well enough to just replace the cap and rotor. I'll bet that fixes everything.
I am in the "don't bother looking, just replace the cap, rotor and coil spark wire" camp on this.
Bob

This is the "best guess" advice. Caps and/or rotors can "carbon track" and fail catastrophically. It would be less likely the coil output wire would fail without some sputtering, intermittent triggering. And it'd be very unlikely all six plug wires would fail simultaneously. Only other thing I can think of would be the trigger wire inside the dizzy somehow found ground. Frayed insulation or connection failure.

OP
BierRunner

BierRunner

Country flag
And the winner is…a bad rotor cap!

After several weeks I had the car shipped to Macy’s Garage in Dayton and they diagnosed and fixed it the same day (after they undid all the crazy things we’d already tried). Lesson, classic cars belong with classic car mechanics.

You guys were all over it, so thank you! I do not yet have the skills to execute your advice myself so I passed it on to my local mechanic but we couldn’t get it done (not for a lack of trying though). I need to look for a class on basic Triumph repair and upgrade my capabilities. I also need to come up with an inventory of things to keep in my trunk for future…challenges.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
With today's "black box engine bay" four-wheeled computers, it's a whole different skill set to work on the pre-computer, pre-electronics cars of the past.

You've learned a lot already, so now's the time to get your hands dirty and take a "basic auto mechanics" class from your local classic car club!

Congrats on finding the problem! (y)
Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And the winner is…a bad rotor cap!

After several weeks I had the car shipped to Macy’s Garage in Dayton and they diagnosed and fixed it the same day (after they undid all the crazy things we’d already tried). Lesson, classic cars belong with classic car mechanics.

You guys were all over it, so thank you! I do not yet have the skills to execute your advice myself so I passed it on to my local mechanic but we couldn’t get it done (not for a lack of trying though). I need to look for a class on basic Triumph repair and upgrade my capabilities. I also need to come up with an inventory of things to keep in my trunk for future…challenges.

Thanks again, you guys rock!
In post #11 above you said
Spoke to the shop this morning and they say they have replaced the cap, rotor and coil spark wire.
It appears that they didn't replace the cap. If they did, it would have been fixed.... just wonder what they actually did.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In post #11 above you said

It appears that they didn't replace the cap. If they did, it would have been fixed.... just wonder what they actually did.
My guess? A "wallet biopsy."

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Maybe when the other shop said they replaced the cap ... they meant they opened the cap, replaced the rotor, then put the cap back on.

:smile: