• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Correct Color and Car Value

CaptDon01

Just wondering what difference the vehicle color will make on my TR3B. It was originally black, it's been re-painted signal red. When I restore it, I want to keep it original, but I would rather repaint her signal red instead of the correct original black. How much would this hurt the vehicles value?

Just wondering.......

Thanks,

Don

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Don,

I don't think most potential buyers would be concerned so long as the alternate color chosen is a proper one for the model and year. Signal Red was used from 1957 to 1965, I believe, so would be correct as far as I know.

However, for your consideration, and this is just my opinion: There are an awful lot of red LBCs around... including mine! I'm planning to return my TR4 to white over a Midnight Blue interior, the orginal colors of the car.

Also, black is a *very* desirable color, especially among car fanatics since it's the most demanding of a straight, quality body. And IMHO it looks really great on the sidescreen TRs with a couple of my personal favorite TR3/3A interior colors: Red and Stone. I'm not sure what interiors were offered on TR3B, though.

But, hey, it's your car and you should do what makes you happy! So, don't listen to me at all! ;-) And, I don't think a change to Signal Red would devalue the car, if that's what you want.

Incidentally, I do think some currently popular auto restoration reality-TV shows (American Hot Rod, Overhaulin', Rides, etc.) are altering people's opinions about carefully thought-out and tastefully done changes.

(Note that I *don't* include Pimp My Ride or Monster Garage in that list!)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I would have to agree with you, Alan, on pretty much all points. Amongst those (few?) of us who truly value originality, it might have some effect on value. Even there, though, that's likely only true IF there is documentation of the original color from the factory, evidenced either by a BMIHT build certificate or, on Triumphs from around 1964 on, the data on the commission plate showing original color and trim codes.

I love Signal Red. Unfortunately, it sometimes seems that, out of the 80,000 or so sidescreen TRs built, approximately 112% of them were painted Signal Red. :smile:

Black, especially with a red interior, is simply stunning in my opinion.

There are far too many sidescreen TRs with tan interiors, again in my opinion. :smile:

Frankly, this all really boils down to the classic debate of "are you restoring the car for resale value" or "are you restoring the car for YOU to enjoy"?

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but I've seen drop-dead-gorgeous TRs in such colors as Metallic Blues and "Champagne" metallic hues.

Figure, for sake of argument, that it cost around $4000 for a show-winning, thorough paint job. I rather doubt that such a job in a nonstock color would devalue the car by that much. It can always be changed again by a future owner, right?

Of course, then there's the early TR2 colors of Olive Yellow, Geranium, Ice Blue...colors that very, very few people seemed to like then or now (except me...I love 'em)!

Go with what you like!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I would have to agree with you, Alan, on pretty much all points. Amongst those (few?) of us who truly value originality, it might have some effect on value. Even there, though, that's likely only true IF there is documentation of the original color from the factory, evidenced either by a BMIHT build certificate or, on Triumphs from around 1964 on, the data on the commission plate showing original color and trim codes.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then, there's always the inaccuracy factor. Build records weren't always a reflection of what was delivered. My '57 TR3 BMIHT record shows beige with blue leather interior. When I got the car, it had a repaint of BRG, but the original interior was still there - stone vinyl.

Again, as long as it was a color that was offered, I don't think you're going to hurt the value for the "purists." I went with Pearl White and red trim, because the combination appealed to me, and it was a factory offering. As is often stated, it IS your car!

Mickey

OP
C

CaptDon01

Thanks for the opinions.....my British Heritage Motor Trust certificate states the car was black with a black interior. I agree, black looks classy, and yes, as much as I like signal red, there seems to be a lot of signal red TR3's. I'll probably bite the bullet and do her in black,(with maybe a signal red racing stripe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif)...I'm just a stickler for originality

Don

PeterK

Yoda
Unless you're shooting for a trailer queen concours car that never gets driven except on and off the trailer and has point deducted for the color change IMO the change in color would not effect the value at all. That is of coursel unless, you paint it a metallic purple or some other metallic color. A high end paint job in any period color will bring the same bucks.

TR3's had many nice colors to chose from so you have a lot of choices unlike the 4-5 basic TR4A colors. I may even pick on of the TR3 colors when I do my 4A.

Just my 2 cents. PeterK

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Funny about all those signal red TR3's out there. When I got my TR3 about twenty years ago, it was painted a beige color, and had a deep brown leather interior. I knew it wasn't original, but I got the car cheap, and figured somewhere down the road I could always re-paint it. Well, one day arrived, and while stripping down the car and removing the body, it became evident that the original color was signal red. Yes, that's what I would paint the car...signal red! However, about a year into the project, I saw a picture of a black TR3 with red interior, and it just floored me. That's the combination I now wanted. As I struggled along with the project, the more I took the car apart, the more I realized that the whole body was in really bad shape, so I kept an eye out for a replacement that was in better shape. I finally found one...it's original color...black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

BTW, the project is still moving along. The bodywork is almost done. Hopefully by this time next year, it'll be completed. Boy is this alot of work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

71tr

Jedi Warrior
The comment about build records not being accurate is right-on. My TR6 was commissioned in sapphire blue but in reality was the lighter delft blue color. As I deconstructed the car for restoration I found that the dash area had been painted in sapphire and I suspect the factory guys ran out of color and switched in mid-spray.

I agree with the consensus, paint it any color you want!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The comment about build records not being accurate is right-on....

[/ QUOTE ]True, and I didn't mean to imply that the original records were never incorrect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Other odd errors pop up from time to time as well. Most of us have heard stories such as the car built with wire wheels on one side and disc wheels on the other...and one spare of each in the trunk!

I still have in my possession the remains of a wrecked 1970 GT6+. Said car had one commission number on the door plate...and another (same digits, but with some transpositions) on the windshield post! Perhaps it was eat time...I mean TEA time...when that car was assembled? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[quoteI still have in my possession the remains of a wrecked 1970 GT6+. Said car had one commission number on the door plate...and another (same digits, but with some transpositions) on the windshield post! Perhaps it was eat time...I mean TEA time...when that car was assembled? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The TR8 I just bought has one number on the plate affixed to the windshield post, and the number on the plate on the door is 100,000 off!

As I said, records in Jolly Old weren't that specific. Just kind of adds to the charm, doesn't it?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Funny, I just restored a TR-6 that was originally Jasmine with a Black interior. I wasn't keen on that color combination so I went with a 1970 period color scheme, Signal Red with a Light Tan interior. But a bunch of signal red British cars out there to be sure! Now the heritage certificate shows my TR-2 to be Signal Red with a Stone leather interior. I think I'm going for total originality on this one, so I guess I'll have another red car to go with the TR-6, wife's Z-3 (Dark red metallic) and my 05 Acura TSX (Bright Red). I'd say it's totally your choice on paint colors. As long as it's correct for the year, IMHO paint it whatever suits your fancy! I don't think it has hurt the resale value of my 6, not that it's getting sold anyways!!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, then there's the early TR2 colors of Olive Yellow, Geranium, Ice Blue...colors that very, very few people seemed to like then or now (except me...I love 'em)!

[/ QUOTE ]
I get a kick every time I look at the paint code page in the Moss catalog for TR2s
What follows is, word for word, the paint color and description right out of the catalog.
Color...................Description
Black...................Black
Pearl White.............v.lt. grey
Red (signal red)........rt. red
Green (B.R.G.)..........dk. green
Blackberry (to Apr.'54)
Olive Yellow ..........."awful"
Geranium (to late '54)
Ice Blue.................pale blue/grn/gry

Notice the description of Olive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Pearl White was actually more a cream color - almost a pale yellow - according to Piggott's Original TR3. Much better looking than a very light gray. The Pearl White code I got for PPG paint came out that way, as well. Again, it seems that colors were not nailed down like they are now.

Mickey

G

I drove my TR3 all through my Army years in it's original black with red interior colors and always enjoyed how sexy I thought it looked. When I sold it, the next owner had it restored to concours condition but this time went with 8 coats of black lacquer with red interior. The last time I saw the car, a number of years later, it was still the most drop dead gorgeous TR3 I have ever seen! You can't beat a black 3.

Bill

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Olive is an ugly color. There are actually no known Olive cars with original paint left. Most Olive cars were repainted by dealers to sell them.

The guy who managed the dealership that sold my TR3 new in N. California (he lives in Olympia,) said that they used to call TR2 and TR3 paint "primer color," since the paint was so thin and horrible that you could often see right through to the metal. My dad's roommate in college had a TR2 that he bought new, and the car's paint had oxidized from the boat trip.

My personal favs are powder blue, black and I'm getting fond of grey. I'd love to see examples of some of the rare factory documented trial colors like "Jay Blue."

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
D

Deleted member 451

The best color combo I have seen is black with a gray interior. It just screams class on a TR3.
Mine is Primrose Yellow with black interior. Didn't really think much about it when I bought the car but now I love it and would never change. Red and black is everywhere and the yellow can be filthy and still look good.
The only thing I would strees is that for some reason people who change the color always paint the engine bay black. I can't figure this one out, it's a dead give away that the car is not original. Go figure.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

I get a kick every time I look at the paint code page in the Moss catalog for TR2s
What follows is, word for word, the paint color and description right out of the catalog.
Color...................Description
Black...................Black
Pearl White.............v.lt. grey
Red (signal red)........rt. red
Green (B.R.G.)..........dk. green
Blackberry (to Apr.'54)
Olive Yellow ..........."awful"
Geranium (to late '54)
Ice Blue.................pale blue/grn/gry

Notice the description of Olive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That cracks me up too. Good to see they still have a sense of humor over there. I grew up with Dad working on his '52 MGTD and we always got a chuckle over the Engine page on the Moss catalog that's been in there since the mid '70s.

Go to https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32714

and check out item #68 near the oil sump.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Hey Don-- Agree with going with what you like. I'd go for any TR3 of any color that I liked as long is it was well done. I think most of us would only hesitate (that is regarding price) when it was a shoddy repaint-- eg you've got green paint with red engine bay, door jams, etc. Another Don in the KC triumph club has a black TR that was once a couple of other colors.. You might talk with him.
Pete

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Don, I'm not sure if you have come to a decision yet; it sounds as though you have decided to go back to black, so my advice may be irrelevant...
I would just add that if you want to change colours it is important to paint everything the new colour, take off the door hinges and paint underneath them, inside the fenders, everything!
In my opinion its when the colour change is not done properly that the car 's value is reduced, if its a really good job who could object?
(I like grey with a red interior, or BRG with tan!)
Simon.