• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Question on correct oil temperature

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gents,

I fitted an oil temperature gauge into my BN6. Since I use the car for classic car rallyes I felt more comfortable with knowing the temperature. When I did m first test drives, I was wondering that the gauge showed about 110 degress Celsius (about 230 degree Farenheit). In my opinion tht is very high. Any opinion on that? I use 20w50 Catrol Classic motor oil.

Volker

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Gents,

I fitted an oil temperature gauge into my BN6. Since I use the car for classic car rallyes I felt more comfortable with knowing the temperature. When I did m first test drives, I was wondering that the gauge showed about 110 degress Celsius (about 230 degree Farenheit). In my opinion tht is very high. Any opinion on that? I use 20w50 Catrol Classic motor oil.

Volker

230 - 260 is correct for a street car. See:
https://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1310-engine-oil-temperature/

PS - air cooled VWs and Corvairs ran at 245 or so.

Less than 230 and water vapor and other pollutants accumulate in the oil.

SideShifter Tri-Carb

As an early Porsche owner, I focus a lot on oil temperature. My slowdown point is when the oil rises over the 210 F mark. This usually happens when it's over 90 degrees and I'm running 80 mph consistently on long runs and the oil level is good. My understanding is that there are many oils that start to loose their properties when they get over 220 degrees. If you are rallying, I would suggest installing an oil cooler up front and keep the oil below 220. Water will still vapor out with 200 degree oil, it just isn't as fast as oil that is over 212 degrees. Remember that the point at which you measure the temperature is not as hot as it is around the cylinders.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Volker,
If you do fit an oil cooler, maybe you could put another sender where the output hose from the cooler enters the oil filter adapter - that would show you how much the cooler is reducing the temperature.

Chuck9482912

Gold
Country flag
Where can I get an oil temperature sensor? Can't find one in Moss, VB, AH Spares,etc. I am running an oil cooler.

I am also worried now about it running too cool in the winter. I saw VB has a thermostat for oil coolers. Has any one used one? They also have an oil cooler shroud to block it in cold weather.
Thanks

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Mocal makes various oil-filter sandwich plates - some have 180 degree thermostats. A friend is running one. They also have one tapped for an oil temp sender. Didn't see one with both a t-stat and temp.

Alternatively you could insert a tee in the line where the return from the cooler enters the sandwich plate.

See:
https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/13462/Mocal_Sandwich_Plate

DTDuck

Country flag
Where can I get an oil temperature sensor? Can't find one in Moss, VB, AH Spares,etc. I am running an oil cooler.

I am also worried now about it running too cool in the winter. I saw VB has a thermostat for oil coolers. Has any one used one? They also have an oil cooler shroud to block it in cold weather.
Thanks
If you are using a Smiths Oil Temp Guage try here:
https://www.nisonger.com/smiths-parts.htm
https://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/lucas-snb126-temperature-transmitter-70-p.asp
https://www.petrolheadheaven.com.au...ic-temperature-gauge-sender.aspx#.V5vCPJZTE5s

If you haven't set it up yet:
https://www.bighealey.co.uk/Performance/Austin-Healey-Parts-Spares/cooling-2
I would use the Remote Filter Adapter and the Remote Filter Housing. You can get the required fittings, lines and cooler here:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=OILFILTHEAD
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=PLUMHOSEFIT
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=SETRAB

Cheers,
Dan M.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Installed the gauge.
After a drive at 85 degrees ambient:
(Oil temp is approx 187 degrees F)
Coolant.JPG
OilTemp.JPG
Sandwich Plate.JPG
ThruDash.JPG
Gauges3.jpg

Last edited:
Country flag
Nice setup. So, you have the 'sandwich plate' mounted in between the block adapter and the filter? On my BJ8, the servo barely allows room for the adapter and the (longish) filter.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Yeah, no servo, no fitment problem. Could go to a squatter filter, though.

Addendum:
Sandwich plate has a male/female threaded fitting and rubber gasket - screws onto Healey adapter plate like an oil filter: 3/4 turn past contact. Unfortunately there's no place to drill for the two mounting bolts or one could use a modified sandwich plate in place of the Healey adapter.

Last edited:

red57

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm a fan of the remote filter rather than the simple spin on adapter for one reason. The spin on adapter means a horizontal filter that you cannot pre-fill with oil. I run a remote mounted on the footwell with very easy access from below. You can get ones that have ports for temp gages as DTDuck shoes in his post, but for me the real advantage is being able to fill the filter with oil before installing. Then, when you start the engine after an oil change, you will get oil pressure to the bearings almost as fast as any normal engine start. With a 'dry' oil filter the oil pump has to fill the filter (nearly a quart) before any flow/pressure gets to the bearings, and that can take several seconds. It has been said that most of the wear on bearings will happen whenever there is no oil flowing....
Just my opinion.

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
Here's mine and it works well on dozens of Healeys and it's an improvement on the original. Why make life difficult when the oil pressures comes up very quickly, quicker than the one it replaced.

24406497663_4a43049eec_z_d.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Last edited: