• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Conversion has started - splines to studs

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Got started on my wire wheel to disc wheel conversion today. It's a small start, but the front hubs are off now. I picked up some disc wheel 4-stud hubs on eBay and they should arrive later this week if all goes well. I figure I'll put in new bearings and replace the discs and pads while I'm there.

Had to make a little tool with a bolt, a few nuts, and a piece of scrap wood to pull of the grease caps. Glad I won't have to deal with them anymore! Still, got them out after a bit of effort.

Tomorrow I'll get started on the rear axle. Hope to get it all removed tomorrow, but we'll see.

fronthub1.jpg

fronthub2.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice work, Drew. As a matter of reference, the rearmost head nut ~should be~ a long nut. It has the same I.D. thread as that hub cap stud... that can be used to more easily pull the cap off the I.D. of the wire wheel studs.

...but you seem to have found an effective work-around.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll have to check that head nut out of curiosity and see if it's present on my car.

Tried to find a 5/18" x 24 coupler nut at my local hardware store, but no luck. They're pretty good generally, but the fine thread stuff other than nuts and bolts is scarcer. Luckily I had some bits in my random bucket of hardware that did the job.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'll have to check that head nut out of curiosity and see if it's present on my car.

Tried to find a 5/18" x 24 coupler nut at my local hardware store, but no luck. They're pretty good generally, but the fine thread stuff other than nuts and bolts is scarcer. Luckily I had some bits in my random bucket of hardware that did the job.

Drew, Don't know if you have an ACE hardware store close, but an "A" store has the largest supply of nuts and bolts I've ever seen in one place. Even chrome, stainless and special stuff to boot. When restoring the 72, I bought a lot of hardware from them. Just a thought. PJ

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Front hubs ready

Made a bit of progress tonight. My new front bolt-on hubs came in (bought on eBay) and I got them disassembled and ready for new bearings and studs. Putting in my Moss order tomorrow for the necessary bits and pieces to finish up. Decided to do new front discs and pads (Moss has a handy kit with all the parts together) while I'm in there -- cheap to do and I'll know they're good.

After work tomorrow (Tuesday) I head down to the valley to pick up the rear axle and possibly some wheels as well.

From this:
frontdischub1.jpg

To this:
frontdischub2.jpg

Country flag
Looking good Drew! :smile: Now, I don't want to sound alarmist however I have noticed you've used the DANGER words more than a few times - "while I'm in there...."??!! We all know where that can lead! :D LoL We're all friends here so if an intervention is needed, we're here for ya!!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for looking out for me, Peter! :grin:

I'm pretty safe this time around -- funds are tight and I'm only doing the "while I'm in there" for safety/reliability related items. My goal is to be driving again as soon (and as cheaply) as I can. So I'll do brakes and fuel pump, but the tatty interior and other non-broken-but-not-right bits will stay for a while. Hard to resist just fixing the durn things, but it's time I learned patience I suppose...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And besides, summer there is burnin' off fast! :devilgrin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
And besides, summer there is burnin' off fast! :devilgrin:

You ain't kidding, Doc! Short driving season here for sure. All goes well I'll be back on the road in a week or so.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Moss order is in, all was in stock so should be here by the end of the week. If all goes smoothly, I might be on the road again by the end of the weekend.

Ordered new front bearings, wheel studs, front disc brake kit (includes rotors, pads, bolts/cotter pins), hand brake cable for disc wheels, and a few other misc things needed to wrap up the conversion. The rear axle I'm getting already had the brakes gone through, so it should be good to go as is.

More money spent than I wanted to, but she'll be safer and more reliable and that's worth the effort.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Safety for all is the cheapest thing you can buy, regardless of the cost! :encouragement: PJ

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Axle is home!

Picked up some of the parts that I need for the conversion from a friend and fellow MGB owner. He converted his car to a GM V6 and a different rear end and had many of the bits I needed. It's funny, his car has my old steering wheel and pack-away top -- now my car will have his old axle and possibly his old wheels as well. Another great example of car folks helping each other out.

Wheels are 15" Nissan wheels. He had them on his MGB (it's the correct bolt pattern and close-ish on the backspacing). We'll see if they fit my car -- it's not my preferred style of wheel, but if it gets me driving on the cheap I'll call it good for now. If they don't work out I'll pass them on to someone else and go with more period wheels. Would be nice to put a wheel purchase off for a while, but I also want to be back on the road as soon as possible.

Spent the evening after I got home working on the rear axle removal. Still need to finish removing the handbrake cable and need to drop the exhaust, then it should be a few bolts on the springs and down she goes.

axleparts1.jpg

He threw in a good condition gas tank as well -- not sure how solid mine is, so it's nice to have a spare handy. He was happy to have the stuff out of his shop and out of his way, a good deal for both of us.

axleparts2.jpg

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
:encouragement: Love it when life works out well like that. Though its a bit confusing after all the curve balls. :smile: You just seem to power through what ever project your on Drew. Im impressed. Makes me feel like Im not even trying.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:encouragement: Love it when life works out well like that. Though its a bit confusing after all the curve balls. :smile: You just seem to power through what ever project your on Drew. Im impressed. Makes me feel like Im not even trying.

Well, I'm persistent if nothing else, and I REALLY want to be out driving! :grin:

I've been playing with these old cars long enough to appreciate that the curve balls you get are pretty normal -- especially when you're dealing with a car that's new to you. I'm committed to this car, though (do have the 6-year agreement with my wife after all), so all I can do is dig in and work through the issues. I figure that each system I rebuild is one more thing I can count on to work correctly.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Drew, it looks like you are on a path to success achieving your goal! That's nice to hear. Keep the info coming, very interesting. :encouragement: PJ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Glad you've got the chance to try the 15" rims. Better tire selection, and I think you'll like the stance - hope they work out for you.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks guys. Moss order came in today, so I have everything in hand to finish up. Now I just need time. Will have some time tonight to putter, hope to at least get the exhaust out. Have some more time on Sunday to make some real progress.

I'll at least give the wheels a try, Mickey. They have tires on them already, so hard not to use them. I want some Minilites eventually, but the price was right and they're ready to go.

Of course, car projects are often like plumbing projects -- you never get everything you need in the first run to the parts store...

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If it ONLY takes me three trips to get the perfect bolt. I count myself lucky.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think that tank is a later version, Drew. Likely not gonna fit your GT.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag