• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smitty Toyota Conversion Angle Drive

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I have a '60 BN7 that came with a Smitty Toyota gear box conversion. I have twice adapted cables to fit the speedometer drive on my car's gearbox, likely a W57, but that is speculative. I also have done a 3.5 differential conversion. The angle of approach for the speedometer cable is forces a tight bend, and I think that has contributed to the speedometer needle hop I have experienced with the two different-length cables I've tried. I'm wondering if a Toyota angle drive might solve the problem. And I'll add that I don't find these for sale on eBay. Has anyone found a source for these units, is there any gearing issue involved, and what might either a new or used drive cost? As mentioned at the outset,I have successfully attached the Toyota drive fitting to a standard Healey cable and assume that piece fits into the angle drive????

Country flag
If the needle hop is rhythmic and speed-related--as opposed to random--the hop is likely due to a fractured odometer or trip meter drive gear.

You'll be hearing from fans of GPS-driven units.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Do you have one of these? Toyota part # 83770-22100.
IMG_8384.JPG

It's not a gear drive like stock Healey, it's a large radius sweep 90* with a cable inside. I have never changed it and never replaced a cable and always had smooth a needle with this set-up and I'd guess at least 75k miles since I installed it in 1997.

Smitty's parts page.
IMG_6610.JPG

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
My speedometer needle fluctuation is rhythmic and thus, as one respondent says, may be due to an internal failure in the instrument. I have had the speedometer apart in the past and didn't find the issues mentioned, but I may give it another look. A second responder offered something that I have never seen, the Smitty parts list. My car came with the gearbox installed and fully functioning, and the instructions did not accompany it. I was happy to see that there is an alternative to the right-angle drive I was seeking, since those seem to be trouble prone. I will now seek the Toyota Angle Speed-O-Dapter shown with the parts number. Thanks very much to both respondents. I'll mention that I have been using a GPS to get an accurate speed reading in my car, but finding a practical mounting spot has been a problem. Since it appeared today that my GPS has failed, that problem seems have taken care of itself.

Country flag
Look for a hairline radial fracture on either of the two gears--I've seen both plastic and pressed fiber--that are driven directly by the large worm gear driven by the cable. The crack can be just enough to bind the worm gear for a split second, and cause a bounce of the needle.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob, thank you for your comment about the rhymtic fluctuations being caused by internal problems. That describes my issue perfectly. I’ll take it apart and see if I can find the cracks.

Country flag
Rob, Before you tear into your speedo let me clarify: By 'rhythmic,' I mean you will be going along steady at, say 60MPH. Your needle will suddenly jump 5-10MPH, then drop back to 60, and repeat this cycle at a consistent time interval, say 3-5 seconds.

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
My speedo needle just rocks back and forth around the actual car speed. I have (had) a GPS installed that gave me the true speed. Thanks.

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I have tried to search for the Toyota Angle Speed-O-Adapter, part no 83770-22100, on line. However the parts sellers sensibly want to know the model and year of your car. All I know is that I have W-series Toyota five-speed (I probably have a number buried in my notes back when I had the gearbox exposed). This part model number was graciously supplied by an earlier respondent and is an alternative to a right-angle-drive.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have no idea why a dealer would ask for the model/year of the application when you give them a part number but I just goggled "Toyota part # 83770-22100" and saw several listings (from Toyota dealers to eBay sellers) with prices ranging from $81 to $118.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I suspect that part number would fit most if not all of the W series Toyota boxes. It seems many of the suppliers are in places like the UAE or Japan but here is one in CA. They probably ask what model car it is for because there is a box on their computer screen they want to fill. You should have no problem getting this domestically.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob, have you been riding with me? You description is exactly the way my Speedo behaves. At 60 MPH, it will increase 10 MPH and then fall back to 60 MPH about every one or two seconds. The movement is very consistent. Doesn’t happen much at lower speeds.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Try a small amount of lubricant on the cable inside the housing. A light grease like Lubriplate or a lithium grease. Clean any old grease off the cable and I'll bet your problem will be gone.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Regards a place for a GPS: we have a 1962 BJ7 and I've got a Garmin tucked under the dash, with rare-earth magnets JB Welded into the Garmin base and securing it to the heater housing. I've got a power take-off/cigarette plug-in screwed to he wooden piece behind the passenger grab handle on the dash to provide power (as well as a USB charge point). Doug

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have experienced what I would call rhythmic variations or "wobble" of the needle below-above any particular speed which I got rid of by carefully modifying the routing of the cable to avoid sharp bends. I always attributed it to the cable's winding up due to friction.

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I have experimented a bit, including using two different cable lengths in an effort to get rid of the needled bounce. I drilled a hole in the transmission housing in part of this effort, which also made it easier to fiddle the cable because I didn't have to remove the tranny cover. One suggestion I tried that failed was to back off the attaching ring on the back of the speedometer with thought that the cable ws too snug. I think I am currently using bike lithium grease on both my speedo and tach cables. I notice the latter tends exaggerate engine rpm until the car has run a mile or two, suggesting that maybe my lubricant isn't perfect.

Country flag
Old news, but bears repeating: There is a copper washer used as a spacer between the angle drive an the O/D housing (there's a BMC TSB regarding it, but I can't locate it offhand):

I favor silicone spray lubricant for the cable; it attracts less dust. I clean the cables using a suitable solvent before installation.