• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch Master cylinder, rebuild or not.

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
I know this will have lots of opinions and will depend on the quality of the bore.
This new Girling unit was installed 11 months ago, and has had the fluid flushed at 9 months.

It is now starting to drip on to my foot. This is a new Girling unit.
If inspection of the bore shows it is free of pits and or scratches gouges, dirt, etc,
Now the 100 dollar question, is there a good chance of rebuilding lasting at least as long at this new unit did?
Peoples experience's with rebuilding?

Also has anyone had better Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) using another brand, perhaps heaven forbid an after market unit?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Should last a whole lot longer than that, even with a rebuild. Did you use Girling or DOT 5 fluid both to operate and flush it ?

I've pretty much always rebuilt my old cylinders even when I probably shouldn't. Even with significant pitting in the bore, the seals have lasted longer than 11 months of daily driving.

TR4

Jedi Knight
I rebuilt mine 2 years ago and it's still great, no leaks and operates as it should. I did think I had a leak but the cap was loose and was simply splashing fluid out on the twists and turns.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Ditto the rebuild suggestion. It takes so little time (something I have plenty of) and saves $$$ (never seem to have enough) that I always try rebuilding.

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
I am sure I used Castrol LMA for this and the brakes.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am about to rebuild my clutch master in my 7.5. Should I use silicon to clean it if I am going to use it in my system? It has original now.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
I am about to rebuild my clutch master in my 7.5. Should I use silicon to clean it if I am going to use it in my system?
IMO, yes. I usually start with solvent (on the metal parts), then finish with silicone.

PS I've never seen any indication that "brake solvent" harms modern seals, but I keep it away from any seal I'm going to use, just to be safe. However I was disassembling an original MC the other day (very likely with original seals in it) and the seals were grotesquely swollen by the time I got it apart. Could have been the heat, but I'm guessing they were the old "natural rubber" seals and the solvent is what caused them to swell like that. Still haven't gotten all the black goo off my hands !

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Randall. Should I buy a hone for the inside of the clutch master?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tough call, IMO. If the bore is in good shape, I'd leave it alone. If it's pitted, then it's probably better to replace it.

That said, I ran a hone through one of the MCs I just put together for the 56 TR3, as it had some very light pitting. Replacement MCs for the 56 are visibly different than the originals, so I want to try to keep them if I can. The other one looked good enough without the hone, so I didn't touch it. The hone leaves a rougher finish, which will probably accelerate seal wear at least until the bore wears smooth again.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Clutch masters by Girling are NLS. So I'd figure I would just rebuild it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
Clutch masters by Girling are NLS.
So this isn't your TR6 you're working on ? TRF even has Girling TR6 clutch MCs on sale at the moment. GI64068827 is the .75" bore and GI64066117 the .70".

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ok, I'll bite : What's a TR 7.5 ?

If it's a wedge with a Rover motor, then GI64066614 looks to be the Girling clutch MC. Not on sale but listed as available ...

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
saw it on their site. Took some hunting. Already bought the rebuild kit. Will attempt that first.

G

I rebuilt my Spitfire brake master cylinder 3 months ago and it has been great. My clutch and brakes are all silicone DOT4 fluid now. The best part of that is we over filled the clutch master when we replaced the slave and when I got home there was fluid on the firewall shelf, I just wiped it off and the paint was still there.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I see mention of "brake solvent" here.
Through many years of rebuilding British and non-British hydraulic parts, I have always used plain old denatured alcohol (from the hardware/paint store) to clean pistons and cylinder bores. It dries residue free and doesn't harm the rubber.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks for the remembrance on that fact Moseso.