• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Optima battery for E-Type

billca

Anybody have experience with using an Optima battry with an E-Type? I thought I might try one since they are reported to withstand long periods without charging.

------------------

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I'd be interested also. I have heard nothing but good things from Corvette owners I know who use the Optima battery. By the way, welcome to the forum! What year/type of E do you have?

Basil

------------------
basil.gif

1967 Jaguar E-Type OTS
1E13333, Silver Blue

[This message has been edited by Basil (edited 07-04-2001).]

OP
B

billca

We have a yellow '67 E-Type FHC that we bought about 10 years ago. Still original; no restoration. We drive it on week ends just for fun. My time in the garage consists of rebuilding a '72 Morgan +8.

I'll report when I get an Optima battery.

Bill

Originally posted by Basil:
I'd be interested also. I have heard nothing but good things from Corvette owners I know who use the Optima battery. By the way, welcome to the forum! What year/type of E do you have?

Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Kewel! I have a 67 OTS, but had a 67 FHC in high school. The one you see on my main page. Check out my main page (click HOME on the table of contents) and click on the Tan Jag at the top to read the story of my 67 and how I found it 28 years later after I sold it.! Can you post pics?

Basil

koolkat

I have the Optima battery in my E. The first one lasted about 3 years which is not to bad for AZ heat, got another one, with both side & top post and am using both negative post for and the top positive post for power. So far about 2 years old and its going great. No tie downs on the battery, its very snug in the battery area of my car.
Since I use my car almost daily, no knowledge of its long term storage ability.
Mike Goodwin
KoolKat

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Originally posted by koolkat:
I have the Optima battery in my E<snip>

Just curious, is the Optima you have a red-top or a yellow top? I need a new Battery for my Spitfire and have been thinking of getting an Optima for that car.

Basil

Doug

Freshman Member
Sounds like you guys are using Optimas in your daily drivers but, for anyone who may be interested (nobody ? oh well...), you'd lose some points in a JCNA Concours----

JCNA concours rules will accept any brand of battery except the Optima

So, if you have a 99.99 point E-type, keep the old battery for show purposes !

Cheers,
Doug

OP
B

billca

Originally posted by koolkat:
I have the Optima battery in my E. The first one lasted about 3 years which is not to bad for AZ heat, got another one, with both side & top post and am using both negative post for and the top positive post for power. So far about 2 years old and its going great. No tie downs on the battery, its very snug in the battery area of my car.
Since I use my car almost daily, no knowledge of its long term storage ability.
Mike Goodwin
KoolKat

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know that a top and side post model is avalable. That will be useful.
Bill

OP
B

billca

My battery died totally and I had to get something quickly: a $50 group 22 job with a whopping 390 cold cranking amps. It fit with no modifications and therefore there was no downtime for redesigning a tie-down system. However, my guess is that cold weather will show the battery capacity to be inadequate.

I still want to try the Optima but want some sort of tie-down system using the original J bolts. Mike, have you added anything to hold your battery in place?

By the way, I tried to get a battery at Sears using the old Diehard number or the battery dimensions. They couldn't, or wouldn't, try to find a battery with either pieces of info. Last time I'll go there.

Bill C.

OP
B

billca

Bob,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I saw the Consumer Reports article and wondered about the mediocre rating. One thing that Optima touts is their batteries' ability to retain charge for long periods. That's a feature CR didn't test. It's also a feature that is importnat to collectors but not to the average driver. You're right, can't have everything.

If your restoratin shop wants to market their tie-down setup, they can probably find some customers.

Bill C.

[ 04-19-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>