• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

Electric Upgrades of All Sizes

Upgrade your battery?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just wondered if folks are using modern batteries (like AGM types) instead of traditional lead/acid batteries, classic cars or not. AGM is more expensive, but I wondered if anyone feels the extra cost is worth it.

jcw67spitfire

Freshman Member
Country flag
OK, I've had to educate myself. Looking at http://knowhow.napaonline.com/what-is-a-agm-battery/ I'm seeing that both flooded, or wet cell, batteries and AGM batteries have lead plates and the water/sulfuric acid solution, with AGM batteries having more plates packed in the same space and "added spongy glass" mats separating the plates. NAPA says AGM's can be more expensive and they last longer. Keep in mind that wet cell batteries can safely be discharged up to 80 percent with out effecting their lifespan. For AGM batteries you don't want to discharge them more than 50 percent, and you want to be extra careful not to overcharge them. I've always had wet cell batteries. I was barely able to fit a DieHard Silver with 600 cold cranking amps in the battery spot for the Spitfire MK2, probably overkill for the mild climate of Augusta.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. Good to know some real world experience and thoughts. Didn't know until you posted, that wet cells had a much more flexible "discharge" percentage than the AGMs. Come to think of it, what's the advantage of AGM anyway? And why aren't we using something like lithium ion for ICE car batteries?

I think I'll stick with standard lead/acid for my 1957 Morris.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
AGM batteries might be a bit of overkill for an older British car unless you've added some fancy electronics to the older car (like GPS navigation, upgraded stereo, etc. That said, I do know AGMs are supposed to last longer ( 7-8 years vs 3-5 for lead acid) and of course they don't require topping up and are thus maintenance free so might be worth trying if you're not concerned about period originality. Interested to hear if anyone has used them in their LBC.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
AGM as used in my 2011 Land Rover and 2011 MINI Countryman S are decent batteries, but when dead have to be chatrged in a special way and monitored for 30 minutes for heat. Takes a second battery or special charger. Not any lighter than lead acid but lighter than Optima. Found that out when I tried an Optima in my track car. Went to replace and AGM was lighter. I keep maintainer on my batteries. Will I use AGM in my LBC no, but have tube vented batteries to keep the acidic vapor away from the steel bodies.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Expensive, not convenient to constantly charge. The on board alternators cannot keep them charged. My thinking. Prices too.