• Hi Guest - Welcome to the New BCF!! Welcome to the new (as of 2/22/21) British Car Forum. For help navigating this platform, see: This forum
  • Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

OK to paint battery?

Yes, if the paint is even the least little bit conductive (even if it is imperceptible with an ohm meter) it could lead to an inexplicable drain on the battery. It's the same reason you never leave a battery sitting on a concrete floor. It may also void any type of warranty. If it matters that much get a battery box.

LarryK

Darth Vader
Gold
Moss sells a period correct cover. The concrete floor was for the rubber batteries as the condensation on the rubber conducted a ground. The battery manufacturers say that doesn't happen today, but my battery charging table is wood.

GeorgeC

Moss sells a period correct cover. The concrete floor was for the rubber batteries as the condensation on the rubber conducted a ground. The battery manufacturers say that doesn't happen today, but my battery charging table is wood.
Larry,
I've looked at Moss online and their catalog, can't find a cover. Do you have a part number?
Thanks

LarryK

Darth Vader
Gold
No, saw it in a catalog, might call them, as I threw all my old mags out.

Sarastro

Darth Vader
Gold
Frankly, if that's what you want to do, I don't see a problem. My greatest concern that the paint might not adhere well, would start to flake, and look pretty awful. I've yet to see a paint that is sufficiently conductive to load a battery; even metal-filled paints and adhesives are sometimes surprisingly nonconductive. In my opinion, the old idea that putting a battery on a concrete floor discharges it is just not correct, and the explanations for it are largely ad hoc. I suspect the apparent discharge is really just a poorly charged battery sitting on a cold floor, which reduces its output, or some similar phenomenon. But when someone shows me some real data proving that the phenomenon occurs (and I don't mean anecdotal experience) I'll change my opinion.

LarryK

Darth Vader
Gold
Good point. In the early 70s, my boat batteries wers stored on 2x6s on the basement floor and charged occasionally.

Madflyer

Jedi Warrior
I think the only time a battery would sit on concrete and not be on a board or such thing would be on the way out. and only lead acid type. As for color I would go with it as in a cover . My car is green so I got an Interstate battery and latter got a dry cell. Madflyer

Sarastro

Darth Vader
Gold
Hmm. Mine sat on the concrete garage floor for about four years while I restored my TR4A. I put it on the charger occasionally to make sure it stayed fully charged--very important to prevent sulfation. It's back in the car and working fine now. I've done a load test on it, and I can't see any sign of deterioration. (It was only about 3 years old when I started the restoration).