• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WW Axles in stock Bugeye housing?

tim66ah

Freshman Member
I have a rear axle and front hubs from a 67 midget I parted out years ago. Could I use the wire wheel axles in my 59 sprite disc wheel axle? I do know the axle housings are different widths ww axles something like 14" narrower. I'm sure the front hubs won't work with the drum brakes?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Wire wheel axles are 1/2" shorter, so you won't get full engagement. Many people install them anyway without issue, but make sure they don't exhibit any twist of deformation at the splines, and most importantly, make sure they are installed on the same side as they were originally installed. You are correct about front hubs. Not only are disc and drum hubs very different, but even disc brake car hubs are not interchangeable.

nomad

Yoda
Rick, I think I would spit the difference on the hub and diff engagement since I have had WW axles come loose in the hub. I'd be afraid of limiting the hub engagement too much.

Kurt.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Wire wheel axles are 1/2" shorter, so you won't get full engagement. Many people install them anyway without issue, but make sure they don't exhibit any twist of deformation at the splines, and most importantly, make sure they are installed on the same side as they were originally installed. You are correct about front hubs. Not only are disc and drum hubs very different, but even disc brake car hubs are not interchangeable.

Hi Gerard,
I pulled my axles out during the restoration of the car and didn't pay any attention to which side they came out of. I guess I have a 50/50 chance they went back in the side they came out of. why so important?
Mark

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Gerard,
I pulled my axles out during the restoration of the car and didn't pay any attention to which side they came out of. I guess I have a 50/50 chance they went back in the side they came out of. why so important?
Mark

Short answer: Metal fatigue. If the axles were twisted their entire life in one direction (probably a long time), then torqued the opposite direction, you have an increased likelihood of snapping off the end. Some times, it's possible to observe very slight distortion in the splines that will indicate which direction they have been driven.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Short answer: Metal fatigue. If the axles were twisted their entire life in one direction (probably a long time), then torqued the opposite direction, you have an increased likelihood of snapping off the end. Some times, it's possible to observe very slight distortion in the splines that will indicate which direction they have been driven.

Thanks. My axles are original wire wheel axles installed in (I think) the original Bugeye housing, so I have no idea how long or which direction they were run in the midget they were most likely sourced from.