• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Has anyone uprated the rear axles to CV joints?

G

I saw the Corvair one. I've seen the Moss ones ($$$$).
Are there any others? Anyone do it?
Cost?

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Cambridge Motor Sports from the UK use to have a complete conversion but no more, I emailed them three weeks ago about this and they replied that thier conversion ended up not reliable. I saw that Goodparts is now making a third member conversion---I would have rather seen an axle and hub conversion!!. You always see mention of the corvair or datsun axle conversion but never any detailed instruction on how to do it??, is the Moss a complete conversion--axle and hubs and how much?, I have never seen it advertised by them.

OP
G

Re: Has anyone uprated the rear axles to CV joints

It's Moss Europe, not Moss USA. I think they are the cosworth hubs you read about. Trouble is it's going to cost around $2100 to get it here. Thats a bit strong. I could probably get something custom made for that.

The corvair ones apparently leave the wheels non-hub centric. I didn't want to deal with that. This is one of the few bits of info about the corvair conversion I could find.

https://www.hottr6.com/triumph/tr6drivetrain.html

71tr

Jedi Warrior

I would research the nissan 240 rear drive since you are upgrading to the nissan differential.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior

The Corvair ones are hubs only still using tr6 axles (no cv joints), I have only seen reference to Datsun 240--280z being used--but never any pictures or details. Goodparts diff. conversion still uses TR6 axles,???????????

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight

I followed this same path a little while back, and came up with this name and address for someone who actually makes the Corvair conversion: David Wingett elkhorn@core.com

I've also spoken to Richard Good about doing a conversion of Nissan axles for the TR and he said he's thought about it but hasn't had any time to develop it.

NFI for any of this, just sharing what I found out.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Alana,

I was bored yesterday and emailed Moss Europe about their Drive Shaft and Hub Assembley. They said the quality was top rate and the kit includes everything you need, plus they said that many of the components are from BMW, hence the high cost.

Not that I'm considering them, but rather curious. That's a ton-o-money for that. (around $1800.00 with shipping and excluding VAT)

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/MossUK/ProductList.aspx?SubSubCategoryID=TRs_uktrs-166

OP
G

Right - and when you add shipping and import duty, it comes to >2k. I also heard that they have a finite supply and when they are gone, they are gone. I don't know if that's true or not, but it gives pause for thought.

We surely must be able to get something made for less than that! It's not like it's using exotic materials...

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
We surely must be able to get something made for less than that! It's not like it's using exotic materials...

[/ QUOTE ]

You would think that someone in the US could do this.... where's Richard Good when you need him??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
G

Totally...

Business opportunity there for someone.

Sign me up for the second set (I'll let someone else be the alpha tester).

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior

Sent a email to the the above address that Michalotti_tr provided regarding the availability and price of the corvair hub conversion--no answer yet. Sent Richard Good an email asking him that if he developes the conversion to please do both axle and hub and not just hub. I know he holds down a regular job so he probably doesnt have alot of free time, but mabey if he gets alot of emails on this he would do it. Be sure to ask for a hub and axle conversion.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Years ago I recall reading about the Group 44 TR. There was a comment about them using some porsche or mercedes parts in the rear.
Shane Ingate has a site that discusses the corvair hubs and mercedes hubs. You may want to take a look at this;
https://www.hottr6.com/triumph/tr6drivetrain.html

OP
G

This is exactly what I was talking about with the hub-centric issue. I'd do the Moss conversion for a little more before dealing with a compromise like this. When you get to $1400 and still have problems, 2k for a bolt in solution doesn't seem so bad.

Maybe if I wait the exchange rate will get better...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Re: alana

I agree---forget the corvair hubs after reading bobh info, too much to deal with and still----tr6 axles!!! Maybey a group of us could pay for a Moss set up and hand it over to Goodparts or someone and let them copy it?

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Maybey a group of us could pay for a Moss set up and hand it over to Goodparts or someone and let them copy it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since both sides are identical all we would need to buy is one... I'm in if we can find a builder.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Heck,

Those Brits have many parts I'd love to see over here...

A few come to mind...
1. A two piece trans cover for overdrive maint
2. A lightened steel flywheel.
3. New chassis
4. New bodies
I can go on.....

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Well Moss said some of the parts were sourced from BMW. Maybe we could start there.

Of course the assembly from Moss might have the BMW part number on it.