• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Has anyone used the Oberg Engine Tilt Lift??

NardisCNC

I need to invest in an engine hoist tilt. Looks like the Oberg is well designed. Has anyone used one? How does it compare to the screw-type tilts? Any other recommendations?

losmorob

Jedi Hopeful
Do you have a local Harbor freight? Their screw type is good for the ocassional pull.

If I was doing it for a living, I might look elsewhere.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
losmorob said:
Do you have a local Harbor freight? Their screw type is good for the ocassional pull.

If I was doing it for a living, I might look elsewhere.

I have the HF one - works fine for all I need

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
I used a screw type on my last engine go-around and I can't hardly believe I've been doing it all these years without one. Best $50.00 I ever spent. I didn't go with HF though, I went with a major auto parts supplier. I think the brand name is "Performance Tool". I figured the extra couple bucks was cheap insurance over HF.

JACK

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I have the HF one. I thought it was a good leveller but not so good at tilting. Does that make sense? A lot better than nothing (I'd imagine, I've only pulled one motor one time so what do I know). Next time I pull the motor I'm going to try to have the rear of car jacked up as high as I dare.

OP
NardisCNC

NardisCNC

jvandyke said:
I have the HF one. I thought it was a good leveler but not so good at tilting.

I've haven't used either type of leveler. But the design of the Oberg looks more intuitive. I have pulled the engine/trans in my Midget ones with ONLY a hoist, and I will never do that again. I found a new Oberg online for $50. Moss sells them for $76. I don't mind investing a little extra money if its a better tilting device. I'm just looking for some input from somebody who HAS used an one.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I think the tilt is more trouble than it's worth. I just reposition the hook on the chain, it takes less time, and less room than the tilt gizmo.
I had one, used it a few times and gave it away.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've used the Oberg and and a cheap screw type. The screw one I had was garbage -- more a quality issue than a design issue. I then bought the Oberg and used it to install my motor/transmission into the Tunebug. Worked well, did what it was supposed to.

Certainly wasn't necessary, but it worked as advertised.

I just helped a friend put the engine/transmission into his TR3. We used my hoist, but just a normal chain with an additional rope to get some tilting. That worked just fine as well.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I have the Oberg one and it works nicely, in my experience. The only thing approaching a problem is that you can't shorten the cable easily, say, if you have your crane at max height and still need a couple inches more lift. With a chain, you can do that.

If you decide to get one, shop around a bit; don't just go to Moss. You'll save a lot of money. The Usual Suspects are OK (sort of...) for things you can't get anywhere else, but for general items like this, they are probably the most expensive option of all.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
I bought an Oberg tilt-lift when I had to pull Nigel's engine and tranny earlier this year. I have nothing to compare it to, though, as I'd never pulled an engine before. It worked just as advertised, and was easy even for a novice like me to use. I liked the way you could set and adjust the angle "on the fly," or leave it unlocked altogether and have the angle floating. No complaints here. :smile:

nomad

Yoda
I have had a Oberg for several years and used it on a number of engine pulls. I don't know how I got along without it. I think its great but a bit pricey if you only anticipate an occasional use. I agree with Steve, do a bit of shopping.
KA.

G

I use the "garbage" one "professionally", although I don't pull allot of motors. Currently using it on the midget and I can't complain. Just used chain for years and tilting is ~SO~ much better.

I lube my screw with neverseize; adjust the angle of the dangle and stick it in with ease.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Last year I pulled and reinstalled and MGB engine and transmission by myself withoug a tilt, basically tilted the car (raised lowered the front) then re-installed my TR250 engine transmission by myself with a borrowed screw type tilt, it was much easier and faster, loved it, if I couldn't borrow I would buy one, don't know about the Oberg type, the screw type worked fine for some fairly extreme angles.

Greg

OP
NardisCNC

NardisCNC

I've decided to buy an Oberg. I'll post and give my input as soon as I use it! Thanks for everyone's help thus far!! - Nardis

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
glemon said:
basically tilted the car (raised lowered the front) Greg
:lol:

Oooo Oooo

How many LBC owners does it take to change a lightbulb?

Ten - one to change the bulb and 9 to rotate the ladder.

:jester:

PSJ

I have enjoyed the use of an Oberg tilt lift for the past several engine pulls (MGB and Midget - maybe 5 total). It works fine; I prefer the screw type but the oberg is a lot smaller and easier to store.

Phil