• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 If anyone has had their TR6 on the dyno to tune

G

If anyone has actually had their TR6 on a dyno to tune it, I'd love to know the following.

1. What sort of improvement you saw from adding timing. I have numbers with zero advance. I'm wondering what I'll see when they fix the timing curve.

2. What difference dropping the stock box makes. I know it's restrictive, but I'd love to hear a number as to how much.

I'm going to get the answers to both questions next week, but I'd like to have someone else's values to compare them to.

TIA, Alan

swift6

Yoda
I'd love to help but I'm afraid the different induction system, exhaust and header, cam, compression and last but definitely not least my altitude difference would not give you very accurate predictions.

OP
G

I wasn't looking for exact numbers, more a feel.
I really want to know how bad that exhaust is...

BJones

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
Re: If anyone has had their TR6 on the dyno to tun

Few people actually do any dyno runs and even fewer do any back to back testing. Which is why I am really looking forward to hearing your results when you do your tests!

Bryan

OP
G

So it seems...

swift6

Yoda

One of the guys on the 6-Pack list cut one apart and was stunned by just how small the holes were in the matrix of the muffler. He idolizes David Vizard (not necessarily a bad thing) who, according to him, declared the TR6 stock muffler 'extremely restrictive'. Though I can't be sure of his yardstick for restrictions. Mine didn't see a dyno until after the mods were made.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

My dyno tests were conclusive about one thing. I was running way too rich!!

So, since then I have installed a A/F ratio meter, leaned and balanced the carbs, replaced the cylinder head with a cc'd 9.0 compression and installed a completely new SS exhaust system. I have noticed that it's a bit louder than the stock OEM muffler and was told by two of the Big 3 that it is a better breather.

I have not put it back on the dyno and probably won't until I install the spare block that I'm getting ready to build with 9.5-10 compression, GP-2 cam, roller rockers, light 9 lb. flywheel, no front fan and aluminum front and rear plates, new pistons probably .010" over and a complete balance job for good measure.

That will be it for the complete chassis/drivetrain rebuild from one end to the other.

Next stop, dashboard and gauges.

OP
G

So right, no meant to offense Paul but the only numbers anyone has as a side:side comparison is from the old butt dyno

idc what you (one, not you personally) did - i can talk all day about upgrades. i just wondered if anyone had an apples:apples comparison as a benchmark.

no worries.
i'll stow the impatience and wait until i have some #s.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: If anyone has had their TR6 on the dyno

Only 125 HP with your PI. Thought it would be higher. Nice O2 #'s

OP
G

That's on a Mustang Dyno.
Add a fudge factor for a Dynojet.

Same engine on triples got 163 hp / 161 lb/ft on a DTS4000 engine dyno with almost identical curves. Remember it has been built to be boosted - 8.5:1 compression and a cam designed for a supercharger.

Trust me, it feels strong.
SOTP says this is more powerful than it was on carbs, but then I would say that...

swift6

Yoda

That does refute the claims made by a poster on the 6-pack mailing list about the 'near total obstruction'. Louder isn't always more powerful.

swift6

Yoda

BTW, Nice Torque curve! The stock cam's torque curve falls like a rock after 3,000 rpm. Don't forget the drivetrain loss to get back to 'Flywheel' ratings. The TR6 would be on the high side of the 15-20 percent loss with all of those u-joints. Though I guess you only have the two u-joints now so you might be back to the low side of the 15%. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
G

swift6 said:
That does refute the claims made by a poster on the 6-pack mailing list about the 'near total obstruction'. Louder isn't always more powerful.

There was another one on the site that said they could "feel the difference" when they added a Monza. 'Nuff said...

OP
G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The TR6 would be on the high side of the 15-20 percent loss with all of those u-joints. Though I guess you only have the two u-joints now so you might be back to the low side of the 15%.[/QUOTE]

It's a Mustang dyno. They read lower than the Dynojets. If the chassis dyno #s I have are accurate, then I have a baseline for drivetrain loss. I'll plot it later for fun.

No way it is making LESS power injected...

OP
G

Oh and one other thing to note.

Adding the timing back in from the readings with no advance only picked up about 6hp. That was a surprise, I'd have figured higher.