• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Has anyone here used this Rack & Pinion?

gubba

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have that unit although the solid column TR2/3 model.
Very nice unit and steers effortlessly...you will need to replace your fan with an electric unit.
Actually their price is down 200 + dollars from a few months ago.
The electric coupler looks more diff than it is and mines worked flawlessly since I put it in....you retain the stock wheel and functions except the self cancelling element of the turn signal.

OP
gubba

gubba

Great do you have any pictures of your install to share with us?

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01283.jpg is the basic supports and unit in place...I painted them silver to show any stress cracks if they develop...which I doubt as the supports are very stout (1/4" steel)
https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01287-1.jpg with the rad in place
https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01281.jpg you put the Right drop are on the left side and Left to right with provided spacers to get the proper geometry with the R&P
https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01284.jpg wiring up the electric connector...no wires move..the coupler rotates with springs/plungers on the bands
https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/DSC01286-1.jpg coupler in place

The German/English directions aren't that good but I could assist...really not difficult

PeterK

Yoda
I see in the last photo that you use Accel SuperStock wires on your 3. I use them on mine too.

OP
gubba

gubba

Great pictures..it looks pretty straight forward. So the reason that you have to go with the electric fan is because the rack is in front of the fan extention? It is hard to tell from the photo angel. As you have it all back together how do you like it? Do you have any front end shake at any speed? Did you before you installed the unit? Why did you install the unit? Would you reccommend this unit?

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes on the fan...the R&P would interfere with the stock fan/extension unit.
The steering wheel control head does rotate with thewheel now so no auto cancelling of the TS. However, my self Can only worked occasionally anyways and it's easy to flick on/off. The horn and signals work as stock otherwise.
The unit is excellent and reduced whatever shimmy was left after my front end rebuild with poly bushings.
R&P tightens up the front end over the stock unit because there less ball joints/connections to allow play in the system.
I installed the unit to get away from the heavy stock steering that has always been the Achilles heel of the TR3...heavy steering/leaking seals.
I didn't expect the smoothness (no shimmy at all or scuttle shake) that also arrived after instalation.
I'd recommend it...drives true, no shimmy, no 'searching' on the road and one hand turns at stop/slow speed.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Peter,
I've an MSD6 unit so can't use the copper solid lines. Just widened the Dizzy cap holes a bit.