• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Journey Begins - BJ8 restoration

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
At speed, you can't hear the radio--I have an original BMC with a 6" Radio Shack speaker--but it's because of the wind noise.
I wear both Cochlear Implant and Hearing Aid. Both are Bluetooth so I can now stream into them both from my iPhone. This includes GPS navigation too. Of course, my wife likes to counter the female GPS voice instructions.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I wear both Cochlear Implant and Hearing Aid. Both are Bluetooth so I can now stream into them both from my iPhone. This includes GPS navigation too. Of course, my wife likes to counter the female GPS voice instructions.

Who needs GPS when you have a live personal navigator in the passenger seat . They even tell you when your going to fast to slow , mind the dog , watch out for the kid on the bike etc etc etc .
so much more comprehensive than GPS ........wonder if I can patent it ????

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Who needs GPS when you have a live personal navigator in the passenger seat . They even tell you when your going to fast to slow , mind the dog , watch out for the kid on the bike etc etc etc .
so much more comprehensive than GPS ........wonder if I can patent it ????
It's more fun getting lost.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just go where Im told then I cant get s*$t for getting lost :eagerness:

OP
Westcoast M5

Westcoast M5

Country flag
Okay, time for a few photos. I have begun building the superstructure. So nice to be past the greasy / rusty work and on to this phase. Now it feels like each step brings it closer to the road rather than dissassembling!

Attachments

• 20180922_212439 (1).jpg
    20180922_212439 (1).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180922_221717 (1).jpg
    20180922_221717 (1).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 114
  • 20180922_221934 (1).jpg
    20180922_221934 (1).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20180922_224059 (1).jpg
    20180922_224059 (1).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20180922_224305 (1).jpg
    20180922_224305 (1).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20180922_231638 (1).jpg
    20180922_231638 (1).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180922_231729 (1).jpg
    20180922_231729 (1).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180922_224940 (1).jpg
    20180922_224940 (1).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 118

Dieter Hans

Freshman Member
In 1990, I purchased my first Austin Healey, BJ8. Since I did not have any mechanical background, I was very fortunate to have been introduced to Martin Jansen, owner of Jule Enterprises. Martin was instrumental in helping me with mechanical issues over the years and in 1995, I decided to do a ground-up restoration, including the patented Jule Frame.

Once disassembled, the condition of the original frame was shocking and frightening, due to rust and welding deterioration. I had been very fortunate indeed not to have been injured or worse by driving the car in that condition.

My first major trip post restoration with the Jule frame was from Toronto to Vernon BC for the Austin Healey "West Coast Meet" on Silver Star, a 9,000 km round trip. I was amazed at the car's handling and stability. For the past 22 years since restoration, I have driven the car at any opportunity, totalling an average of some 5,000 km's during the summer months. That would be in excess of some 100,000 km's since restoration and yet, I did not have a single issue with regards to the structural properties of the car. Door gaps and fender adjustments are all good to this day and the condition of the under-structure still does not show any signs of deterioration. During restoration I also learned about the effects of a weak chassis, as it relates to both structural and mechanical performance, such as fatigued engine and lower control arm mounts.

With regards to the restoration, my prime concern was safety, reliability and longevity, as opposed to absolute originality. Based on this experience, it is beyond me why anybody would undertake an expensive restoration without the sound foundation of a Jule frame. It may well be that much of the success of Jule Enterprises is not only due to the fact that Mr. Jansen is an excellent Chassis builder with 35 years experience, but also a licensed mechanic and a licensed vehicle body builder.

It is my understanding that Martin, due to health reasons, is scaling back his operation. As a result, I would highly recommend that those contemplating a restoration take advantage of his services while still available

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
In 1990, I purchased my first Austin Healey, BJ8. Since I did not have any mechanical background, I was very fortunate to have been introduced to Martin Jansen, owner of Jule Enterprises. Martin was instrumental in helping me with mechanical issues over the years and in 1995, I decided to do a ground-up restoration, including the patented Jule Frame.

Once disassembled, the condition of the original frame was shocking and frightening, due to rust and welding deterioration. I had been very fortunate indeed not to have been injured or worse by driving the car in that condition.

My first major trip post restoration with the Jule frame was from Toronto to Vernon BC for the Austin Healey "West Coast Meet" on Silver Star, a 9,000 km round trip. I was amazed at the car's handling and stability. For the past 22 years since restoration, I have driven the car at any opportunity, totalling an average of some 5,000 km's during the summer months. That would be in excess of some 100,000 km's since restoration and yet, I did not have a single issue with regards to the structural properties of the car. Door gaps and fender adjustments are all good to this day and the condition of the under-structure still does not show any signs of deterioration. During restoration I also learned about the effects of a weak chassis, as it relates to both structural and mechanical performance, such as fatigued engine and lower control arm mounts.

With regards to the restoration, my prime concern was safety, reliability and longevity, as opposed to absolute originality. Based on this experience, it is beyond me why anybody would undertake an expensive restoration without the sound foundation of a Jule frame. It may well be that much of the success of Jule Enterprises is not only due to the fact that Mr. Jansen is an excellent Chassis builder with 35 years experience, but also a licensed mechanic and a licensed vehicle body builder.

It is my understanding that Martin, due to health reasons, is scaling back his operation. As a result, I would highly recommend that those contemplating a restoration take advantage of his services while still available
I bought my Jule Frame for the same reasons. I hope someone will take over Martins Operation.

OP
Westcoast M5

Westcoast M5

Country flag
Agreed, It`s a fantastic product and Martin is really great to deal with. Martin has done a 5 1/2 video of the superstructure rebuild that he includes with the purchase of a frame. You can buy it without the frame for $350 USD. I had planned to have Martin do my frame and superstructure, but when I found out he was only selling frames, I wasn't sure what to do. I bought the video first and watching it gave me the confidence to do it myself. It is full of key measurement and is literally a step by step of how to do it.

Anyone building a Healey superstructure I would highly recommend getting his video, whether using a Jule frame or not. If you buy the video and then purchase a frame, he will credit you the 350. This forum is all about leverage knowledge (and sharing an obsession) and the video is an incredible repository of knowledge about how to build these cars.

Patrick, I agree...sure hope someone takes over his operation. It would be a real shame to see it end. Many more Healeys need a Jule frame (like everyone that doesn't already have one ;))

OP
Westcoast M5

Westcoast M5

Country flag
Finally ready to start replacing the sheet metal on the front structure. It was a lot of work removing the old sheet metal and preping!
Oct 14.jpg

OP
Westcoast M5

Westcoast M5

Country flag
I see from the Jule website that Martin is not taking new frame orders at this time due to health reasons. Hopefully he feels better soon.

OP
Westcoast M5

Westcoast M5

Country flag
Yes, thankfully there are other sources for frames.

The car is coming along. I was really busy with work and other thing over the fall so did not get to spend near as much time as I wanted to on the car. That said, it`s coming along.

Attachments

• 20181125_125730.jpg
    20181125_125730.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 80
  • 20181124_165618.jpg
    20181124_165618.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20181124_120806.jpg
    20181124_120806.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20181124_120753.jpg
    20181124_120753.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20181124_120742.jpg
    20181124_120742.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 84

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
image.jpgLooking good. You might want to check the position of the triangular gusset between the door shut pillar and the rocker panel rear section. Usually found parallel to the dogleg of the rear wing, the leading edge in line with the outer edge of the shut pillar, just inside the flange. Some replacement parts I have seen come with that already attached to the shut pillar.
Just a thought.
Bob

Last edited: