• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

And so it begins...again

ottawa3

Hello Folks,

Been a few years since I've been on this forum (had a 59 TR3A that I sold in 2007) but I'm glad to be back with a new project. On the last one I had most of the work done (in part because I really wanted to get on the road and in part because I didn't have a garage. This time, I have a garage (albeit small) and young sons who are inclined to pick up a wrench. The project is a 62, although I am almost certain the build was in 61, TR3A (TS8174? - somebody drilled through the last number). On the upside, it runs - came with rebuilt carbs, new starter, coil, distributor, fuel pump and relined tank...then there is the body - one floor shot, the other thin, rockers rotten, DS door looks like it took an impact at one point, cowl also has some brazing in the same area, fenders are OK and probably will only need minor patch (from what I can see now) rear fenders have some more issues with a few two inch holes near the fender beading.

Apparently, the car had many parts stolen from the PPO who had it in a barn, the PO ran into a guy at a fair who wanted to get rid of all his TR3 stuff in one shot so I have an extra 3 doors, 2 transmissions, 2 steering boxes and piles of other heavy metal pieces - have to track down a speedo and tach, but other than that mostly complete.

Floors and rockers have been ordered for a start, inner sills look OK. Now I just have to find time...

Cheers,
Kerry

Can't post pictures yet...forgot about that rule...anyway, much more to come...

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry about that Speedo... I just paid the guy for it. As far as I know, the tach is still there. While it has a slightly different face graphic -- a red wedge instead of a red line at 5000 -- it would work just fine in a TR3.

Hope you enjoy your project as much as I have mine.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Kerry,

Not too far away from you in Newmarket Ontario just restoring a 1960 TR3A. Looking foward to posts of your progress.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

OP
O

ottawa3

wifegonnkillme

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Kerry,

Fixed your link for you.

efx4.jpg

Scott

OP
O

ottawa3

Hi Don,

I sold the blue one to a guy in Hamilton in the the end, he was quite pleased with it and it was the right decision for us at the time...(impressed you found the photo)
Plan on going slow and steady with this one (which is really not in my nature) - but my eldest (11 years) has taken an interest so the resto should be fun. Today i will put the car up on jacks to see what the underside really looks like.
Although the lower fenders seem pretty solid, better than the blue car was, the upper parts seem to have a bit of bondo and cracking (can just see in the nearside of the shot above - thanks Scott)

I picked up welding gas yesterday and have floor pans in route, so that will be the first step. Once those are in I will take off most of the panels for another good look - so far I've been mainly gathering photos and printing off old posts (alot from you Don) on panel replacement experiences - e.g. rockers.

I wish I had the space to lift off the drivetrain and tub, but I just don't see that happening (unless I find something really bad) as the motor runs fine and the only bad rust through is the passenger floor and drivers rocker.

Cheers,
Kerry

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Kerry,

What colour was your old car. Looks very nice BTW.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

AlWallace

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Kerry, Welcome back. I had just recently come across your old car here in Hamilton. I was one who was in touch with you about buying it in 2007 but life got in the way.
I too am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Al

OP
O

ottawa3

Hi M. Pied - the color was as close as I could get to Salvador Blue - was a Triumph color, just not for that year of car..

Hey Al, yeah, that happens, which is why I was selling it a few years back - this time I am taking it slow with the restoration, involving my kids as well. Just pulled the DS floor this past weekend and have started de-gunking around the transmission - also have to replace the hard fuel line while I have it open, an investigation of a shiny spot led to a break in the line...There was a post a while back on ship-fitters disease (change a lightbulb and then the 'might as well while I'm at it' sets in) that I have in the back of my mind - am trying to avoid getting caught...

Cheers,
Kerry