• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bumper rechroming project begins...

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I decided to stop talking about it getting it done, so today I drove by A&E and saw that the lifts were open so in she went with bumpers on and out she came with them off.

One thing is certain. The black bumpers are not going back on. I'm even undecided about the front plate frame, but I'm having it plated just in case. I do need it in RI to be legal, but I may try running without it for awhile. Two chrome bumper bolts will do the job in that spot for the interim.

They're now in the trunk of my Ford 500 and I can't decide whether to go to CT or MA. A friend called last night and asked me to come over and look at his chrome on his custom Chevy. WOW, what a beautiful job!!!

His work was done by Nu-Chrome in Fall River, MA. I think that I need to take a ride over on Friday afternoon to check it out before I commit to Hartford.

bumper 008 (Custom).jpg

bumper 019 (Custom).jpg

bumper 004a (Custom).jpg

bumper 017 (Custom).jpg

R6MGS

Yoda
I love the look of bumperless TR6's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif your current chrome looks pretty good as it is, I even like the look of the rubber overriders. But I am sure the fresh chrome will finish it off nicely.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thank you very much. Actually, mine are in pretty nice condition, but there are surface scratches from people putting their feet on the bumpers and they are getting dull in a few spots. Luckily, no dings or dents, just the four front guard holes to weld shut. I've been saving for this project over the past year and decided to do it before I blew it on something else, like tri-carbs.

I just can't decide whether to install the luggage rack or not. I think that it looks great without it, but I could really use it when we take it on weekend trips.

R6MGS

Yoda
I think they look great with or without a luggage rack....as long as you get a factory style rack, none of that aftermarket crappola - even if it's "period" it doesn't look right

swift6

Yoda
Unless a TR6 is really slammed into the weeds I don't like the bumperless look. Tried it for a while. The front end especially looks very tall. So much so that I even measured it four times. It wasn't higher but it certainly looked it. The nice (Sabrina-less) early bumpers give a very nice horizontal that visually lowers the car keeping it more 'sporty'. But, that is just my opinion and I'm goin' to stick with it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

For the front license plate, you could always try my idea as well. So far it has passed scrutiny by the local traffic wardens with flying colors.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

P3100011.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Crisis

Jedi Hopeful
Larry,
My '73 didn't come with a plate frame. PO bolted the plate to the front bumper with door hinges so it swings a little. Bush! What is the "stock" frame and how is it affixed?

Reid

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
does anyone know where i could purchase a Chrome front licence plate holder reasonable? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif
By the way Shawn & Paul your bumpers look great!
I sent mine to Albq. NM. to have reChromed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

tr68.jpg

Tomster

Jedi Knight
I thought that you'd be able to pick a chrome frame / holder at any auto store. You can certainly find them at any heavy truck dealership Mack, Kenworth etc

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I' m actually looking for an original TR6 style frame

lic.jpg

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Why did you go all the way to NM?

I'll have an extra factory frame (no brackets) when mine comes back from rechroming in Hartford, but with that work, I'll have a pretty penny ($75 + $125)invested. I did it as an investment, since they aren't being made any more and the numbers on ebay for bent, rusted junk is unbelievable. I know that I'm crazy, but after trying to find one for two years, I became a bit obsessed with them.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
If you can see fit to part with one I would really appreciate it. please PM me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way I had a good connection in NM,
I had 2 sets of original bumpers and overriders for my TR6, he said he would ReChrome 1 set for me for free in exchange for the other set, he did a nice job with them. Not concoarse but still very nice
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif((( Remember "Built To Drive))) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

The Obesession Lives On!!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Whoa, great deal there! I tried buying spare bumpers several times but the bidding got so intense that I just gave up. I'll decide about the frame after I get all of my stuff back. I'm going to Fall River in a few minutes to drop my bumpers and one frame at Nu-Chrome. I will contact you before I do anything with the spare.

https://nu-chrome.com/

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Paul - just my opinion, as I mentioned in the other thread, definately leave the rubber bumpers in the attic and trying running it without the front plate. Most cops love the cars anyway, so I think the real threat is pretty minimal. Mine only goes on for inspection, the rest of the time - 12 years here in NJ - without it.

As for the luggage rack, if I could do it again I'd rather not have the holes in my trunk. Once drilled, it's done for good....just take less luggage.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'm going to try it with chromed carriage bolts in the holes for the frame.

Ned, I agree on the luggage rack too. I've been trying to buy a spare deck lid to paint to match and install it on that. The problem with the shows is the chairs and junk that you need to take, plus the ever present tool box, oil, AF, yada, yada.

On an off topic note, did the copper gasket for the galley fix your leak at the engine lifting bracket? I need to know before I take mine apart.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Nearly forgot to mention that I took the bumpers to Nu-Chrome this morning. I saw some of the restoration work that he's doing there and it's unbelievable what they can fabricate to fix rusted out sections, etc. I saw some of the bumpers from 40's and 50's cars that had entire new sections welded in and saw all of the steps that they use to triple plate the parts.

I'm going to have my holes filled in the front and have the back bar filled in where the bumper brackets fit. I never noticed the slots back there, which are not on early bumpers, but they routinely fill them in at Nu-Chrome.

During my tour, I asked if some of the bumpers on the racks were completed and were being polished because there was a white film on them. Jack Baker, the manager, told me that those were just prepped for the first step, which is the copper plating. They had been acid dipped, grit blasted, repaired, buffed and polished to a beautiful luster BEFORE the first coat of plating was even put on. Actually, it looked as good as what I was giving him to start with.

The facility was typical of a plating shop, but the staff, work performed and amount of business in process that he had in the shop was impressive. There were three other bumper sets from TR6's that were in process. Mine was engraved with a serial number, as are all of the others.

And lastly, for the inquiring minds out there, the total was $1150.00 for everything, including welding and plate frame.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Paul, I have not gone the copper gasket route yet. I replaced the 3/4" long bolts with 1/2" Permatex'd them, fitting fiber washers with a steel washer over them. The bottom bolt is very awkward to remove if your throttle shaft is properly installed (unlike many TR6's where the bushings are long gone). Don't do anything yet, I'll keep an eye on mine and report as soon as I get some mileage on it. If I forget remind me. This is a weird one indeed as I've noticed the top of the block under those bolts has been wet for years.

PS - I've got chromed bolts in my front bumper for the license plate mount. It looks great.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Great! I'll wait because I have McMaster Carr self lubricating nylon bushings in the firewall cross shaft holes and my linkage is as tight as it can be.

What size are the bolts that you used? I forgot to measure my holes in the bumpers before I dropped them off and I want to get carriage bolts sent to them to polish or plate for me.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The "stock" frame for a pre 1975 is a black stamped bracket affair that bolts under the front bumper and comes up in front. It has a four square holes for the plastic inserts that the plate screws will go in to.

Then there is the chrome plate frame that bolts through the top and has two brackets under going to the frame. (Pictured on mine in top pic) These are scarce because the were only produced on two model years (75-76) and were never part of the retro market due to heavy gauge of steel and high tooling costs to stamp on 300-500 ton press.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Paul - I used the two bolts provided by Triumph that originally held on the late style bracket. They are 3/8-20, 3/4" long. I choose them over carriage bolts fearing I'd not be able to get the carriage bolts out over time. I don't use a washer on these, just a slight tightening on the wrench. For the four holes left over by the rubber bumper bracket I chromed long carriage bolts, and these look quite fine. You'd never know otherwise. Want me to take a picture? Ned