• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

To use front bumper on Bugeye or not?

tim66ah

Freshman Member
I have a Sprite MK1 I'm restoring. I have a very good used front bumper. My wife likes the bumper I like the look without. I'm torn on whether to use it or not?
I would appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Tim

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Truly a matter of personal preference. Me, I really like the look of the front bumper. Completes the front end. I'll be keeping the bumper on Penny when I get to that point.

Easy enough to take on and off, so I'd recommend starting with it on. You can always pull it off later, it's just a few bolts.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Easier to access the under-bonnet with no bumper. But... I like the look and that little bit of protection is good to have against stray shopping carriages and small mammals.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Sans bumper! Not going to do any good anyway. Show all the curves.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Then nerf bars or something similiar.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was planning to leave mine off; I think the car looks better without it. As for bumper regulations, I think they came into being in the early seventies. I've always assumed that they don't apply to cars made before then.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the front bumper on a bugeye was an "option". In other words, some of the cars came from the factory without one. I can't find where I read that, though. Anyone else hear that?

Keith

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is what I did on my first BE. It had a forward tilt bonnet. DSCN1286 (1024x768).jpg
This was for a VW beetle, with the bottom legs cut off
Scott in CA

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tim,

I know that AH sold Sprites with bumpers (if you wanted one), but for what it is worth, I have never seen a picture of Gerry Coker's design sketches, or any photos of the prototype Sprite, with a front bumper... Now that I have said that, someone may dig one up, of course.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I vaguely remember that all Bugeyes that were exported to the United States came with a front bumper. The 1959 that I owned in the early sixties came with a bumper and my friends 1958 also had the front bumper. I know that seat belts were an option and so was a radio.
My present Bugeye has a front bumper.In my opinion the car doesn't look complete without the bumper.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I did a little research and found this article on the Moss site. It states that bumpers were not included on the stock vehicles, only bumperettes on the back. A 'slim' front bumper could be purchased as a option for $15.

I would agree that the choice to include a front bumper on a restoration is purely a matter of personal preference. However, I think it's unlikely that you could be forced to put one on because of safety regulations.

https://www.mossmotoring.com/all-smiles-for-the-bugeye-sprite/

Country flag
I was forced to install one. The car came from out of state and as such was subject to an inspection. I removed it once the inspection was completed and have not had a problem since.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Utah Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual:

. Check bumpers to make sure that they meet OEM Specifications in verticalheight, and are centered on the vehicle's centerline. Bumpers must beconnected securely to the vehicle frame, and extend the entire width of thevehicle wheel track.a. REJECT when:1) Bumpers are not 4.5 inches in vertical height.2) Bumpers do not extend to the entire width of original bodywheel track.3) Bumpers are missing, improperly attached, broken, or haveportions protruding which create a hazard.4) Bumpers are not made from a matterial that is strong enoughto effectively transfer impact.

https://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2015/03/2011-2012-SI-PLT-Manual.pdf

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Utah Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual:

. Check bumpers to make sure that they meet OEM Specifications in verticalheight, and are centered on the vehicle's centerline. Bumpers must beconnected securely to the vehicle frame, and extend the entire width of thevehicle wheel track.a. REJECT when:1) Bumpers are not 4.5 inches in vertical height.2) Bumpers do not extend to the entire width of original bodywheel track.3) Bumpers are missing, improperly attached, broken, or haveportions protruding which create a hazard.4) Bumpers are not made from a matterial that is strong enoughto effectively transfer impact.

https://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2015/03/2011-2012-SI-PLT-Manual.pdf

I'm not sure what to make of this. It says "OEM Specifications". If I can show that a front bumper was originally an option, maybe I won't have to install one.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm not sure what to make of this. It says "OEM Specifications". If I can show that a front bumper was originally an option, maybe I won't have to install one.

Go to a local hot rod show and find out where the guys without bumpers are getting their cars inspected. Sometimes some places will let small stuff slide.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've found that most shops go pretty easy on the old cars. As long as they're not an obvious road hazard I've never had issues.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Original plan from the factory was to have the bumper an optional extra. Just a ploy to keep the "list price " below a certain threshold. AFAIR the 1958 Bugeye started out at a base price of $1595. USD and rapidly climbed to $1795 Bob C.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Go to a local hot rod show and find out where the guys without bumpers are getting their cars inspected. Sometimes some places will let small stuff slide.

Actually, I already know a shop like that. :cool-new: I guess wasn't really worried about whether or not I'll be able to leave the front bumper off; I'm pretty sure I can get away with it. I was more trying to explore the absolute legality of leaving it off, given that it was an "option". Just pure curiosity.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Funny, too, that if some States required a front bumper (for almost whatever reason), what do they think of the rear bumperettes?!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'd like to see some contemporary price lists to see what was optional in the U.S. A front bumper was optional in the UK and they had that little plinth to fit the UK plate that fastened to the four screws at the bottom of the grille opening. But with a US car, where in most states a front license plate was required, it wouldn't surprise me that a front bumper was a "mandatory" option. I know that a rev counter was also an option as was the heater, but I wonder if any cars were actually sold in the US like that.

When I was in high school in the '60s. part of "the look" was gasser style. Raise the front end, remove the front bumper and drop the rear. Looked great on a tri-five Chev. Everything was fine and the local PD would leave everyone alone. But when the Registry of Motor Vehicle police (DMV) would come to town word would spread like wildfire to keep these cars off the streets. They'd write up every infraction that made our cars cool (like loud mufflers) and the lack of a front bumper was high up on their list of citations.