• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

And so it begins again

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Even though we haven't had an accumulating snow in Maryland yet, I decided it was time to pull Baby Blue off the road for her winter overhaul. I already knew a brake master cylinder replacement was on the menu, but on the last drive, it was apparent the clutch master is leaking, too. I actually could deal with the leaks and just add more fluid if they weren't leaking onto the pedals and my shoes. Nothing quite like going for the brake or clutch pedal and having your foot fly off of it from slipping on the fluid.

Other items are replacing the exhaust manifold gasket, which didn't seat properly the last time I replaced it. Is RTV an option for the manifold gasket to help hold it in place? I did not use any sealant last time and that put me in my current situation. I'm going to take a stab at the headlight harness upgrade and try to preserve as much of the original wiring as possible and just tie in the harness where I need to. I also picked up one of the Chinese made generators as the current Lucas one also has bearing issues. I figure this gives me some time to get one or both of my stock generators properly fixed.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I was able to get a complete relay kit on line for $25 including shipping. This kit includes relays, fuses, ceramic headlight sockets. Tie into power and existing headlight harness plugs into new harness make this job Simone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Headlight sockets

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Which harness kit did you get? I ordered the one off VB. After trying it last year, it seemed to make more sense to tie into the existing wiring connections than to run a whole new set of wires. I just didn't have the patience or the time last year to follow it all the way through, I wanted to get the car back on the road! I figure if I start earlier this year, I'll have a bit more time.

Any thoughts on using sealant for the exhaust manifold gasket?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I won't be using this kit likely but for the price ceramic halogen sockets are interesting. Had not thought of how much more heat halogens generate. You will find that stock generator will not be enough to support halogens if you use car regularly for those short trips to the grocery store, at night. 2-3 miles 2 starts, lights on. I needed to pop the car on the charger every few weeks as I was not driving enough to keep things fully charged. An alternator may be in order. My Generator was just rebuilt for $90, new brushes, bearings, tach drive intact, and painted. I will not be using with the new engine.

Relay Kit came from Octane Lighting in Simi Valley CA.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The hood came off and it was time to dig in. Master Cylinder came out without too much protest. Definitely not the original MC as the hardware attaching it to the pedal box looks too new. Spent the rest of the evening cleaning things up before popping in the new MC.

Discovered the water valve for the heater core is leaking. I just installed this back in May 2014 and only put about 6,000 miles on the car since the install. This was the one bought from VB. Anyone have suggestions on where I could get a better constructed valve? Also found the battery tray is about half the size it needs to be. Don't know why I didn't notice that before.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
All you need to do is replace the rubber O Ring. Take it apart and find a new O Rjng at local Trye Calye ir Ace. Add some lithium grease. About as good as you can get. Otherwise across the pond AHSpares perhaps.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I doubt that RTV would work on the exhaust manifold....too darn hot. Usual problem is that the manifold is not flat, and the studs and nuts will not pull it up. One option is to have the manifold surfaced to get it flat.
Scott in CA

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
All you need to do is replace the rubber O Ring. Take it apart and find a new O Rjng at local Trye Calye ir Ace. Add some lithium grease. About as good as you can get. Otherwise across the pond AHSpares perhaps.

Looks like Auto Correct has struck again. I'm assuming that is "True Value or Ace" :friendly_wink:

I still have the original valve that was leaking -- I may go that route and put the original valve back on.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
yes auto correct has struck again or my fingers not listening to my brain.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Knocked out the clutch master tonight. When I pulled the fluid from the MC it was pretty dark. I had bled the system and flushed it through last winter, or so I thought. Is this indicative of anything other just having dirty fluid?

I couldn't find the original water valve, so I decided to go ahead and order one from AH Spares. There must be a favorable dollar to pound exchange rate right now because the valve, base, gasket, hardware came in cheaper than just the valve from VB.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I couldn't find the original water valve, so I decided to go ahead and order one from AH Spares. There must be a favorable dollar to pound exchange rate right now because the valve, base, gasket, hardware came in cheaper than just the valve from VB.

An upside to Brexit for us Yanks. Parts from the UK got cheaper. :cheers:

This reminds me, I need to order a bunch of stuff for my Morris...

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes there is esp. for something made in. UK. I was able to order a new grill for Bugsy my '60 BE a few months back from AH Spares for $234 delivered vs $399 plus shipping from the usual suspects. Triple Chromes as well.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Some piccys of the winter overhaul so far:

Of course, the first thing to do is to take the hood off so you can actually work in the engine compartment without having to be a contortionist:
DSC_1001 by David Cohen, on Flickr

Bye bye Brake Master cylinder:
DSC_1002 by David Cohen, on Flickr

New Master goes in:
DSC_1005 by David Cohen, on Flickr

Now time to pull the clutch master:
DSC_1007 by David Cohen, on Flickr

New clutch master in:
DSC_1010 by David Cohen, on Flickr

Besides the Sprite, I'm juggling other winter projects. Right now, my Trek 6500 is on the bike repair stand undergoing its first overhaul in three years. Behind that, I'm stripping down the right side door for a Commonwealth Skyranger to get it ready for priming.
DSC_0030 by David Cohen, on Flickr

I guess you guys would understand more than others when I tell people that tinkering is my therapy!

nomad

Yoda
David, you can buy some very good exhaust sealer. I has some I used on a bent flare pipe that the earlier cars had. Those are notorious for problems if everything isn't perfect.

Kurt.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Been mostly working on the front end. I was hoping to get the steering wheel straighened up as I popped it a notch over last year when the TREs were off. Thought it would be a simple matter of turning the wheel in the opposite direction and letting it pop back. It didn't happen. Not a huge deal. Car still drives straight, just the steering wheel is slightly cocked to the left. If I pull the steering wheel and mount it on the next spline, it's slightly to the right. For some reason, if I'm going to be off, I'd rather be off to the left.

Did the sloppy lubing stuff tonight -- front wheel bearings and the lube points. I do have to admit, it is satisfying to see the same color grease coming out of the seals that you are pumping in almost immediately instead of the nasty brown goo that I'd see initially during my previous lube jobs. I guess the results of an aggressive maintenance schedule are starting to show.

Still need to bleed the brakes and clutch. Should get to that this week.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
And on the eighth day, He created the Mitivac.

Bled the brakes with the Mitivac for the first time. Wow! What a difference. It took some getting used to, and I initially rigged it up backwards, but once I got it going -- wow. Front brake lines looked pretty good. Fluid that came out the rear brake lines was definitely on the dark side. Got in the car and tried it out. The brake pedal never felt this good, and it was already pretty good before. Very happy. Time to go bleed the clutch next.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And on the eighth day, He created the Mitivac.

Bled the brakes with the Mitivac for the first time. Wow! What a difference. It took some getting used to, and I initially rigged it up backwards, but once I got it going -- wow. Front brake lines looked pretty good. Fluid that came out the rear brake lines was definitely on the dark side. Got in the car and tried it out. The brake pedal never felt this good, and it was already pretty good before. Very happy. Time to go bleed the clutch next.

good news! and I do love a mitivac!