• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My Jaguar Adventure Begins

Country flag
I took the plunge this weekend. On Saturday, I hooked up a trailer from UHaul and went and picked up my "new" car - a 1956 Jaguar Mk1. I'll post pics as soon as I can move them from my camera to the computer.

The car is a 1956 Mk1 2.4 4 speed LHD. it is dark green with a tan interior. Vin number is S940941. It <span style="font-weight: bold">is</span> a project as it was stripped, repaired, painted and then sat when the previous owner lost interest. There is a complete new interior - headliner, seats, door panels, carpet, etc. I plan to have someone who knows what they are doing put the headliner in because there is so much involved and it is a key part of the interior. At the moment, there are no windows in the car, so those need to go in to keep the interior safe. Once the interior is back together, I will concentrate on the mechanicals. I plan on following the Waking A Sleeping Car routine I found here.

It came with an extra intake set-up with 2 SU's. On the car is the dual Solex set-up. In addition, there is an extra 3.4 head. Also I have 4 new door skins and a right side rocker box. Then there are boxes with numerous extra parts, many or most of which are in usable or repairable condition. There is a complete extra set of wood trim for the interior that needs refinishing. Extra vent windows, trim, I haven't inventoried it all yet. Any usable extras will be for sale.

There is also a generous stack of related literature. Several books on Mk1 Mk2 Jags, the Haynes Manual, a Jaguar Service Manual, some copies of the parts catalogues and more. Also there are numerous prints, posters and such.

That's if for now, I'll fill in details as I come to them. I am looking forward to - no - DEPENDING on - :laugh: the wisdom I know can be found here to get this car back on it's feet.

Feet - Jaguar, cat - anyone?? LOL :laugh:

Until next posting,
Peter

fncycat

Sounds great Peter!

An interesting side note on the carbs.
Jaguar originally designed the 2.4 with the SU carbs. But when testing their manufacturing technique, they wanted to drop the engine in with the carbs installed, and found that the SU's would hit part of the body, and were difficult to maneuver into place. They then changed over to the solex arrangement.

I'm sure you would like the SU's better, but have no idea what the correct needle would be for use in the 2.4.

OP
S
Country flag
What I have read thus far indicates the SU's are better, I will see when the time comes.

Who are the vendors of choice for Jaguar parts? I know the recommendations for Mini's but don't know which ones to go to for Jag stuff.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
There was a "performance kit" for 2.4s that included 3.4 cams and SUs. Since it is a short stroke engine, it should scream with the SUs.

For vendors, try XKs unlimited.They are a tad more pricey than some of the others, but actually have parts in stock.
Welsh Jaguar enterprises in ohio, SHG barratt.They have the worst web site in the business, and Terrys jaguar. I have used all of these on a fairly regular basis, but I will say 1) Repro parts bite!
2) XKs usually HAS the parts
3) If you want USED parts (I buy more used stuff to fix than ever before)Try Jack White 1 540 743 4037. I have used this guy for more than 25 years He has several Mk1s in inventory.

I hope you enjoy the Jag, it is one of my favourite saloons.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The headliner has to go in before the front and rear windscreens. Jesse has good parts prospects. Yes, the SUs are better unless you are an original type person, but the SU mod is concours acceptable.

OP
S
Country flag
While I could probably muddle my way through the headliner/windscreen installation, discretion is the better part of valor and I am going to get someone to hande that part. I'll have enough to do after that to keep me busy for some time! :smile: I like original and it seems that the SU's is keeping with original so I wouldn't have any qualms about swithching that over. If it makes for a better running car, why not, you know?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PHOTO....PHOTO...PHOTO

OP
S
Country flag
Do you take "photos"?? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, knowwhatimean, knowwhatimean?? :laugh:

Yes, yes, pics are coming. I just need to transfer them from the camera to the computer....perhaps tonight

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Jesse said:
Try Jack White 1 540 743 4037. I have used this guy for more than 25 years He has several Mk1s in inventory.

Some of the best, most understated advice you will get, Pete.

OP
S
Country flag
Transfered the pics from the camera to the computer and tried to get them to here but got nothing but x's in the image boxes. I will try again tomorrow.

OP
S
Country flag
One thing my car (like it only needs ONE thing....I wish! LOL) needs is a steering wheel. The original four spoke is there, but missing one wood insert. I like the four spoke style and would like to stay with something similar. I really like the four spoke Brooklands wheel! Would that be inappropriate for my car? Looking for thoughts...

Looks pretty nice. I hope you have a good upholstery shop nearby. Oh, and your idea for a wheel would look just fine in there IMHO.

OP
S
Country flag
Thanks, Kenny. I am looking for an upholstery place in the area to do the headliner and finish the seats. Once the headliner is in, the front and rear screens can go in. Then I'll do the doors - glass, etc. one by one.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
:thankyousign: for sharing. NOW, you're about 1/2 way through the restoration so just get a wiggle on chap!

OP
S
Country flag
This weekend I went to the sellers house to pick up a few parts that didn't fit in the van at the first pick up. This included a 3.4 head, the channel weatherstrip for the windows, a rocker box and the front and rear windshields. The previous owner picked up the glass, turned, and went to gently set it down. Just as the glass touched the ground, the rear windshield popped and disolved into a million pieces. I watched it happen, the PO was being very careful and cautious. He is going to find a replacement, I feel bad, it really wasn't his fault.

My concern is, do I need to worry about the front windshield? Should I be looking for another one? Were windshields in 56 safety glass? I suspect everything will be fine and the one I have will be ok. The seed of doubt did pop in when the rear glass went so I figured I'd check with the brain trust here..... :smile:

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
The last time I needed a MKI windshield it was onobtainiun new. The used one I helped install was safety glass. The MKI is one of the few cars that the windshield goes in from the inside. I have a rear glass if the PO cannot find one. This past weekend I bought a pile of NOS 50's-60's sedan body panels. There were two LF wings for a 3.4 MKI Part# 7009. It is the first time I have ever seen a new body panel for a MKI.
Alan T

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Glass has a mind of its own. Very dangerous stuff.

Alan, that's a true find! Congrats!

OP
S
Country flag
My SO had a good question - I think there may be some 90wt in her blood somewhere! :smile: - should we replace the wiring harness now, while the interior is out and everything is reasonable accessible? Is there a way to run through the wiring to determine if all is in working order? I could put a battery in the car and check the various circuits with a meter or test light.

My gut is that replacing the harness is a big job which I don't know I want to tackle, nor spend the $$$$$$ for, especially if it isn't really needed. On the other hand, now would be the time with everything out rather than later and have to take it all back out again.

If the darn city would let us build our garage, I'd have someplace to work on it and be a little more motivated!