• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Painting Journey almost over

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Well guys the painting journey is comming down to the finish line, every thing is painted, wet sanded, polished to a high shine, and all that is left is the body. Door jams, Rear fenders, back end and front, I finished the wet sanding yesterday in the wonderful 70 deg weather, went over and over everything and filled the few tiny spots left. So the plan is on Friday to rent a trailer, get the car over to the paint booth, and Spray the rest of the car on Saturday!!!!! I can see the Light at the end of the paint booth. I will post a few pics later on of whats left to paint and then a few after I am done, Then the process of putting everything back together. that will be the fun part

Hondo

Attachments

• 20688.jpg
    20688.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 388

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
You are doing the paint yourself? Wow. Just out of interest what do you figure you will have tied up in materials when all is said and done? I spoke to a shop recently that told me "Red's are easily the most expensive color. We will have $2000.00 in materials alone to paint your car." I think they said something about $800-$900 per gallon for the paint alone.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It's not THAT dear but it is expensive. Last red here (AR-501, Valspar) was about $150/gal (with activator). But with epoxy primers, fillers, various wet-or-dry, etc. the materials could conceivably come to that $800~$900 figure. I think the $2k would include labor as well. Good panel-beaters ain't cheap.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Well if you say $200/gallon of colour and $200/gallon of clear for base coat clear coat and another $100 for activator, then a couple gallons of reducer $100, a gallon of prime wipe $50, 2 part primer for another $100 or more, a gallon of gun wash for clean up, filler, tack rags,sand paper, taxes and environmental fees, it adds up pretty quick. Some paints go for much more money say $500/gallon. Dupont imron elite base/clear for example is expensive.
Rob
ps- Canadian prices are higher than American prices.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well I cant give you a total just because I really didnt save every receipt and cause I really didnt want to know and I have also had some issues with incompatable materials, some my fault and some the paint supplier but the paint is dupont chroma premier base coat clear coat system, 800 a gallon for the paint, but the paint guys swear I could paint the car with a pint of paint and you reduce it 1 to 1 not the way I paint any way,

but
800 gal of paint
50 for quart of activator
100 for the reducer

260 gal of clear
100 activator

then their is the metal etching primer 120.00
then primer surfacer 1 gal plus activator 120.00
a few aresol cans of SEM primer 15.00
bondo gal 40
glazing puddy 30
lots of sand paper
tape
bondo spreaders
a few gallons of lacquer thinner to clean the guns
pre sol

now the free stuff
paint stir sticks and strainers, they give you those at the paint store Woo Hoo

I ended up painting things as I finished them so if you primed the whole car with etching primer, then primed it with the primer surfacer, fixed all the little spots, then painted the whole car at once it would not be as much and If you didnt have to paint the car twice as basically what I ended up doing I would say maybe 1500 for supplies where I figure I added 1000 to the price

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
hondo402000 said:
.....800 gal of paint, 50 for quart of activator,100 for the reducer, 260 gal of clear,100 activator,...metal etching primer 120.00 ,..primer surfacer 1 gal plus activator 120.00,a few aresol cans of SEM primer 15.00,bondo gal 40,glazing puddy 30
lots of sand paper tape bondo spreaders a few gallons of lacquer thinner to clean the guns
pre sol....... what I ended up doing I would say maybe 1500 for supplies where I figure I added 1000 to the price

Wow! Paint really is $800/gal? And if you add up what you list, total supplies are gonna run almost $2k!!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Scary as when I had my TR4A painted back in 1983, it was $1750 to have a good paint job put on the car by a reputable local body shop that specialized in British and other foreign cars. This was on a rust-free shell with nothing installed (no engine, interior, etc) and including hanging and aligning all attachable body parts (hood, trunk, fenders and doors. Paint was R-M Super Max which looked good and held up well for a car that was going to be my daily driver.

Scott

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
wow I got out that cheap, NOT, cheap is not always the best route, could have done it cheaper though, if you can take a couple of weeks off from working, and great paint booth and all the tools you need and you can work on it continuouly and you can spray paint with out runs, sags drips lint, and orange peel and a 2000 dollar gun and you need 3,. primer gun, color gun and clear gun, then I bet you could refinish a car with 1 quart of plastic filler, 1 qt of primer surfacer, 1 qt of paint and a quart of clear, one piece of each 120 180. 220 320 400 800 1500 2000 and 3000 grit paper and no wet sanding in the clear coat, no buffing and no tape or paper better hope overhauling showes up at your house and steals your car!~!!! and all you have to do is cry to pick it up, caused I cried a lot and Chip Foose was not there to cry on his shoulder, now if that hot little burnette was there when I screw up I would have been happy to cry on her sholder, maybe I should send Chip some pics and have little hottie crisen my car when its DONE,,,, just venting

dont take this the wrong way but painting isnt cheap mentally, physically or dollar wise and body shops will screw you over if you dont know what they should be doing right, I know been bent over before

done

Hondo