• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What’s in your scabbard – A sentimental journey.

Bret

Yoda
As a rule I’m not in the habit of promoting a product, but on occasion I find a product that has served me well and feel the need to share.

We might call’em “Utility”, “All in Ones” or even “Multi-tools”. But whatever the name they have for the most part taken the place of the age old folding lock blade knifes. Not counting the times I had a Marine KA-BAR affixed to my flight vest - for years I used to carry & was a huge fan of my trusty Buck *110* locker. Sure I had a Swiss Army utility knife once, but I never coveted it like the old Buck knife.

Fast forward like so many I fell victim to the Multi-tool trend & actually purchased one of the first generation Leathermen Tools soon after they first hit the market. But was soon disappointed with the overall quality and chucked it reverting back to Bucks. However unbeknownst to me during those years of denial there was a Multi tool revolution with other manufactures jumping in the fray as well. And as is often the case in market places where competition is tough between manufactures – the Multi-tool saw a drastic improvement with even more options & flavors depending on its intended use.

As a surprise a friend gave me a Gerber multi-tool as a gift. Impressed but not 100% satisfied with it's overall design, I started trying a couple other manufactures – but remembering my displeasure with Leathermen’s first product I stayed away. But one Christmas by way of gift from my mother this time, I was re-introduced to one of their products. It was called “The Wave” & as I thanked my mom inspecting the fancy shinny new fangled device, I remember clearly saying to myself that “this won’t last 6 months”.

Well here it is 8 some odd years later and as hard as I tried I just couldn’t destroy it. It served me well through two different jobs & around the house and was always my first go-to tool when I needed something fast. In fact must have used it almost every day in my line of work and must say that my multi-tool probably handled about 60 to 70% of my needs without ever having to open my expensive field engineer’s issued tool box.

But the Sad news is I just finally broke down & forced my loyal Leathermen into retirement it this afternoon having purchased a second Leathermen Wave. There was a formal retirement ceremony this afternoon and I placed my old Wave (still serviceable but showing her age) in an honored place next to my old Buck in my Grandfather’s old wooden desk. Touching & poignant - I think I actually got a little misty as I closed the drawer.

Anyway inspecting the new “Wave” I can say that the boys at Leathermen haven’t been resting on their laurels because the new Wave has a number improvements over the basic old design. I hope I get as much use out of it as I did my first.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Always good to get an honest consumer review of a product. I can't stand the propaganda that you get from the manufactures.

After reading this today, I was in Walmart buying a fishing lisence, and looked closely at the leatherman Wave... Looks like a very nice piece of equipment. I've not owned a leatherman, but I have had several cheapo multitools... the plastic cased ones all fell apart, the metal one's only had a few useful items in them, I keep one in my tacklebox, and upon last inspection (today)... it was rusted. The Leatherman is very expensive (comparatively), but if it's worth the extra dough, I may pony up and get one.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
I’ve owned Multi-tools from SOG, Gerber & Leathermen and all have fine products. But today they are hardly a comparison to those Le Cheap-O’s you get as promotions or freebies. But to be truthfully honest - it would be a bit silly of me to try to assert that multi-tools are a replacement for a true “properly” equipped tool box. But expect to pay between 5 & 6 times as much as you might pay for a cheap $10 knock-off.

But IMHO they are an under appreciated tool & a modern wonder that many of us use every day without so much as a second thought. Mine is on my belt in my original wave’s leather scabbard.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Re: What’s in your scabbard – A sentimental journe

This Leatherman Super Tool has been my quick fix tool for the past 12 years. It's still sharp enough to cut paper. Though the wire cutters on the pliers are a bit chewed up now (the stainless is too soft to cut lots of screws... heh), and the "fine tip" flat screw driver is really chewed up now. The philips, and two larger flat screw drivers work very well still. It was the only can opener I had when I moved into my curren dwellings. The fine tip screw driver got a lot of use while I was in the Marines because it was small enough to fit the screws in the hundreds of variable resistors in a thermal sight. Since the Marines, this tool has seen action on my B, in the building of countless PCs, and countless other random acts of repairing I've happened across. Over the years, I've actually used each and every tool in this "Super Tool" on more than one occassion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have to agree, it's no substitute for the right tool. However, it works great when the correct tools aren't readily available. Leatherman's aren't cheap, for sure. This one set me back $60 at the PX in '94. But considering the years of use I've gotten out of it, the money was well spent.

I'll prolly have to retire this tool and get a new one relatively soon. I keep running into situations where I need the fine flat but it's so badly chewed now that it's nearly useless...

supertool7cx.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Herself keeps one (a generic less-than Leatherman) in her purse, along with a multi-screwdriver set (all-in-handle type)... Not your typical "purse gear". It's bailed her out of asking others for aid a few times. Independent sort, y'see.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

Hmm? I've got a friend who's wife has a SOG Multi-tool in her purse as well - but thats not too much of a surprise, as she also carrys a Makarov. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

mehheh... we were talkin' multi-tools. Don't get this'n PO'd... She's Ukranian, y'see.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

...keeps the REAL tools on her PERSON.

R6MGS

Yoda

lol@ Doc
My wife carries a switchblade in her purse...Never used it for defense or anything interesting....But I did use it once to coax the coil wire of my camaro back into shape when we got stuck.

Man, and I just use a random, round, coil-former.... I'll bet the gun-shaped one worked just as nice though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

Here is the an interesting photo of both of my Wave Leathermen’s. Old & New.

215178-Picture004.jpg

Up front is the my new Wave to the rear the older. As you can see there is a strong family resemblance. Upon closer inspection several of the shortcomings of the original are plainly apparent. First of all the screwdrivers (Phillips & Flat blade) are great but if you damage one the whole knife is shot unless you take rework the blade on a grinder. But once worn the only option was live with it or chuck the whole multi-tool. Whereas the new version uses special “bit” type reversible screwdrivers and once worn can simply be replaced. Likewise the blades saw & file along with the needle nose pliers. /cutters are a lot beefier than the original.

Like the original Wave the new one still uses locks for the primary fold-out knife blades, file & saw. But unlike the old tool the new one has “locks” for the other fold out tools. No more having the scissors or screwdrivers fold up on you while you’re working or pinching your fingers.

Much better design.

Attachments

• 215178-Picture004.jpg
    215178-Picture004.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 57

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

huh... that's kinda wierd. ALL the tools on my Leatherman locked when you pulled them all the way out. In fact, the short coming in the design of my Leatherman is if you pulled ALL the tools out (but why would you want to?) they would ALL be locked out. You'd have to go get proper tools to be able to fold them back in ... heh

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

Sounds like your Leathermen’s vintage is somewhere between my first one & the new one I have. As I said the old one doesn’t have any locking except for the two blades, file & the saw blade. But all of the other "tools" do not lock at all.

Whereas the new one (like yours) all of the tools "lock" (even if pulling them all out) and can be easily released with the push of a button – no tools required.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

maybe? I'm not sure... I picked it up in 1994... seems they may have had a few revisions before developing the button unlock feature... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

hmmmm... seems my memory is a bit off. It's only been eleven years. Must have bought it late Spring early Summer in 95. I just discovered how to determine the build date on a Leatherman and mine is stamped with 0295 (month year).

Did you know these things have a 25year warranty on them? crazy. It sort of has me considering sending mine in for repair, but I'm afraid I might get something different back.

I was just looking at Leatherman's site and they don't even list the "Super Tool". The closest thing they list even in their "Retired" tools section is the "Super Tool 200". That's the tool that replaced mine. I guess the tool that replaced the "Super Tool 200" is the "Core"?

hmmmm... i wonder if i can get my "Super Tool" repaired/restored before retiring it... hmmmm... I really wouldn't want to send it in for repair if they'd only send back one of the newer models... I kinda feel like the one I have is quasi-collectible now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Call them and ask.

IanF

Jedi Trainee

I have a Leatherman, but rarely use it. For the longest time, it's residence was in my cycling backpack. I'm not sure where it is now...

However, my Swiss-Army knife is with me always. It's unfortunately a model they no longer make, but closely resembles the current Handyman model, but has a Philips driver instead of the corkscrew. The amazing thing is that I've used every tool on the knife many times.

I love it so much that when I stumbled into an old hardware store that still had the model, I bought their stock to keep as spares. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif

What keeps me coming back to the SAK is I like the scissors better than the LM or Gerber and they are definitely the most-used function.