• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smog/Emissions question

Country flag
I do not want to wear out my welcome, but this car is completely foreign to me in more ways than one. I also attempted to search for smog pump related threads without much success.
The previous owner seems to have disconnected the smog pump system to a certain extent, yet left the belt on the pump. One hose coming out of the pump is sealed off, other parts are missing. Heck it looks like this has a different carb on it, and it has headers instead of stock exhaust. That big canister under the carb is also missing, which I think was some type of a cat? Since mine is obviously not working as originally installed, why would the belt still be left on it?

Anyway, what is entailed in removing the emissions/smog system completely, and is there anything I must watch out for so as to not make the car run poorly?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
This is a pump on a 72. I'm not sure if it is hooked up the same as on a late model, but I don't think they changed this old style system on the MGBs. All it does is pump air into the exhaust ports to help in burning unburned fuel in the exhaust. The power loss by running the pump is negligible and without instruments hooked up to the engine, you'll never notice any difference in power with it hooked up or not. If you remove it, you must plug the manifold connection holes in the head. If the pump is not hooked up and you have no plans to, then I'd take it off the engine and forget it. Don't trash it, as someone who is doing a concourse restoration would more than likely buy it from you. Here's a photo of the one on the wifes car. PJ

72eng1.jpg

OP

Country flag
PAUL161 said:
This is a pump on a 72. I'm not sure if it is hooked up the same as on a late model, but I don't think they changed this old style system on the MGBs. All it does is pump air into the exhaust ports to help in burning unburned fuel in the exhaust. The power loss by running the pump is negligible and without instruments hooked up to the engine, you'll never notice any difference in power with it hooked up or not. If you remove it, you must plug the manifold connection holes in the head. If the pump is not hooked up and you have no plans to, then I'd take it off the engine and forget it. Don't trash it, as someone who is doing a concourse restoration would more than likely buy it from you. Here's a photo of the one on the wifes car. PJ

72eng1.jpg

Nice looking engine bay. Needless to say I will not throw out any parts because someone will always want/need them. It just does not make any sense to leave part of it connected unless there would be harm in removing it. I just don't get why the previous owner left a belt on it considering the modifications he did like adding headers.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I would have to say that there are probably more MGBs running around with the pumps off than with them on! PJ

JerryL

Freshman Member
Howdy, I think first step would be Check your state regs as if required to have it. While in CA to get it smogged I needed the complete system, had almost none of it, PITA Found a donor system off a BGT, rusted pump but soaked with oil & got it turning, Did not like the idea of open ports into the head so I welded up the tube ends going into the head, all they wanted to see was it there did not have to change the output.

After leaving CA I stripped it all off, Even in NC, in theroy you are supposed to have what came stock on the smog system. No one really knows these cars, so the best bet is to remove things that are obvious something is missing.
Remove the fan from the water pump and take off the extra pully for the belt (they are seperate and all bolt together like a sandwich) and Moss motors(others too I assume) sells a ROW thermostat housing in aluminim to replace the cast iron one with the big honking bracket hanging out for god and everyone to say, What went there??
I had also gutted the Cat years earlier, SAVE IT ALL, you never know when you may need it with GVMT Regs.

I like the car much better with out it, also added an alloy valve cover to get rid of a vent tube that looked odd and it stopped the oil leaks.

Currently running headder and the downdraft Webber with K&N, I bet 200 lbs cme out of the car along with the system.

Regards

OH and Paul that is simply a stunning example of the under hood!!

Country flag
No worries....happens to the best of us....just a mild case of CRS. :smile: LoL