• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What smog stuff am I missing here?

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, now I could throw up about my new mid-life crisis purchase. I have to go through emissions here in TN, which I flunked miserably the first time, and now find that I have no air pump. Isn't that swell! Could you guys/gals who are in the know on such things offer advice by looking at the photo and tell me what visibly appears to be lacking in the emissions on this engine? I love the car and plan on keeping it...it came from SC where there is no emissions testing so at some point this stuff was taken off.
Thanks in advance!
TN

Attachments

• 104512-smogless79b.jpg
    104512-smogless79b.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 165
G

The two major things you're missing are the smog pump and the air rail. There a couple of them on eBay right now in pretty decent condition. Thanks, James

MattP

Jedi Knight
I am in a similiar boat about the equip, but thankfully without the testing. I went to Moss online, and looked at what bits were available for the emissions system.

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=28993

First thing that I notice is that you still have the Zenith-Stromburg, and it has been changed to manual choke. You also still have the stock manifolds.

You already know about the missing air pump, but I can't see if your missing the little manifold thingy (someone else can be more technical, I am sure.) under it. I have 4 crimped off copper tubes where it used to be; on the passenger side of the head.

You still have your gulp valve, even though it doesn't seem to be hooked up. That is about what I can tell. Smarter people than me can pick up and carry on from here.

703MGB

Another important point once you have back all the necessary parts. You must tune your car to specs in order to meet emission. That means good sparkplugs, rotor, cap, points is any, all filters must be new, Carb is tuned to specs and timing must be set too.

Good luck again

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Smog pump, air rail, the hose connecting the smog pump to the air rail, check valve for the air rail, the hose connecting the smog pump to your "gulp valve" (the plugged off valve that's connected to the intake manifold)... I'd need to see pictures from a different angle around the carburetor (specifically between the carb and valve cover and the area under the carb) to know anything else for sure. I don't see a stock catalytic converter on the exhaust manifold either, but it's normally tucked under the carb so it is possible that it's hidden in the picture. It's also possible that a universal catalytic converter has been fitted to the car else where. I'd look at the exhaust system to see if I could find one on it.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for all the input so far...I'll take a pic from a different angle and perhaps you can see a little better where things are or are not, as the case may be. When I brought the car back to TN about 6 weeks ago or so, it had a lot of work done on it including a carburetor rebuild, "new" distributor...a host of other things. I've changed the plugs a couple of times since it hasn't been driven in a while and put in a new thermostat. It really runs well and I was horrified when I flunked emissions so badly. Oh, well...it's just one big adventure!
Thanks and I'll put more pics up as I can get them.
TN

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
I love my neighbor Larry! He lives two doors down, has the same year B as mine, and he has all the smog stuff on his engine! I just took pics to do a comparison and see what I need. He had the air cleaner off and I took a gander around there to see where the catalytic converter might be hiding and I didn't see anything there. I'm wondering if there's one on mine but am not quite sure where to look. Can someone guide me to that or tell me what it should look like?
Thanks to all for being so helpful...
TN
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

703MGB

Converter or not depends on the year of your car. Again the Moss website has nice diagrams just select the proper year.

Here is an example: Exhaust systems

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
If you have a '76 or newer, then the stock cat is a barrel shaped canister (about the size a 100disc CD spindle) that sits under the carburetor. I have a '76, but had a "fee flowing" universal cat installed on my system so it's not in the stock location. My cat is under the driver's floor pan approximately where my feet go.

If all of the emissions parts were removed from your car, I would be willing to bet that the cat was removed too. I assume from other threads that your car is a '79, right? If so you'll definitely need a cat and the other parts mentioned above.

G

Sorry I can't help with the smog stuff as mine was gone when I bought the car. I noticed when I looked at your info that you are a musician. There are a few here on the forum and I was wondering what you play and what kind of music you are into.
Bob

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey TN --

Mickey here, in Clarksville. I've got a spare air pump that should be OK, and an air rail that needs cleaning up. They're both yours, if you want them. Email me if you do:
richaudtr3@yahoo.com.

Mickey