• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Proposed California Smog Legislation

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Attention California Posters, action needed!!!!!!

Immediate Action Needed!
Committee Hearing set for August 28. Call Now!!!

In an effort to avoid public scrutiny, California Assemblyman Dave Jones (Assemblymember.jones@assembly.ca.gov) has amended a completely unrelated bill with language to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older. This represents an obvious attempt to sneak through legislation in the closing days of the legislative session that had been previously defeated (A.B. 616). The new bill is designated as A.B. 3053.

While pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under existing California law, this proposal ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction. Furthermore, the bill would direct that the funds generated through annual inspection fees be used to scrap older cars. This represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.

This is the type of activity that fuels distrust in public officials. SEMA caught this lawmaker’s underhanded attempt to circumvent public process and is now calling on you to help defeat A.B 3053 before it’s too late.

Time is of the Essence! We Urge You to Call the California Senate Appropriations Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 3053

California Senate Appropriations Committee

Senator Tom Torlakson – Chair
Phone: 916/651-4007
Email: senator.torlakson@sen.ca.gov

Senator Dave Cox
Phone: 916/651-4001
Email: senator.cox@sen.ca.gov

Senator Sam Aanestad
Phone: 916/651-4004
Email: senator.aanestad@sen.ca.gov

Senator Roy Ashburn
Phone: 916/651-4018
Email: senator.ashburn@sen.ca.gov

Senator Gilbert Cedillo
Phone: 916/651-4022
Email: senator.cedillo@sen.ca.gov

Senator Ellen Corbett
Phone: 916/651-4010

Senator Robert Dutton
Phone: 916/651-4031
Email: senator.dutton@sen.ca.gov

Senator Dean Florez
Phone: 916/651-4016
Email: senator.florez@sen.ca.gov

Senator Sheila Kuehl
Phone: 916/651-4023
Email: senator.kuehl@sen.ca.gov

Senator Jenny Oropeza
Phone: 916/651-4028

Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas
Phone: 916/651-4026

Senator George Runner
Phone: 916/651-4017
Email: senator.runner@sen.ca.gov

Senator Joe Simitian
Phone: 916/651-4011
Email: senator.simitian@sen.ca.gov

Senator Mark Wyland
Phone: 916/651-4038

Senator Leland Yee
Phone: 916/651-4008

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
....did I hear a faint "the left coast sucks" from the gallery?

OP
B

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
No, you heard that the "correct coast" will take action.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Another weasel seeking voter approval by standing for "Environmental Protection" can be seen to DO smoething to make a CHANGE.

May he rust in piece. Vote that opportunistic vermin OUT at the first opportunity.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
How do you smog a TR2, or TR3, or TR4, or a Model T, or a Stanley Steamer? I really dislike the "Zero Tolerance" people with nothing else to do but chase a non-cause. All cars from 1976 on are required to be smog checked. How many pre 76 cars do you think are running around California that have not been rebuilt to original specs or better. Not many.

Now I have to wait to see if I will be able to mill the head and add a cam. :madder:

Hmmm, seems the bill only changes the law for 15 years or older cars from biannual inspections to annual inspections and does not impact cars built before 1976. Still an unnecessary law in my opinion because my low mileage daily driver and my my low mileage truck which pass with flying colors the biannual smog test would fall into the category.

I would move to Nevada if they had a coast line!

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
The text says "to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older" and then "pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under existing California law".

So this means that 1976 to 1993 cars would go from needing biannual smog tests to annual smog tests, right? And that pre 1976 cars wont need smog at all.

It doesn't seem like cause for a major fuss to me, if so, although it is a more frequent hassle and expense if you have a '76 to '93 car.