• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

California YOM licence plates

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
So, The TR3 is now complete. The car was completely restored using parts from 3 separate TR3 cars. The TS# matches the registration. The car was last registered in another state like 12 years ago.
I have the proper yellow plates for a 1960 vehicle that I picked up years ago. The car has never been registered in my name or in CA.
Anyone have any ideas how to begin the registration process short of spending countless hours wasting away at the DMV?
Any help (ie; secrets) would be great.
Thanks

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cash is helpful!
grin.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think that you're better off to just go to
the dmv.That way,if there's a problem,you'll know about
it right away,& you can get the ID number verified also.

- Doug

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm afraid there is no other way; AAA won't help.

First get on the Inet and find the DMV page about YOM plates. Print it out, make sure you have met every item. Don't forget, you need the 1960 sticker.

Take the car with you, if you have a trailer (best not to drive it there the first time, although I have gotten away with it in the past). Even without the car, take the plates and your checkbook. Hit the Torrance DMV about 4 or even 4:30 PM on a Thursday. Not too busy then, and the closer it gets to 5 PM, the more motivated the clerks become. If you don't have a trailer, be sure to ask for a temporary registration, so you can take the car to them for VIN verification. Take a book or newspaper to read, it helps the time pass.

I had relatively little trouble with registering my 56; the only real hassle was because I wanted to keep the black plates (which don't qualify under the YOM program for my car). But it still took several trips over a 2 or 3 month time span.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You can also make an appointment at DMV.
And,like Randall said,take a newspaper,magazine,
or book with you to read.

- Doug

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #003300">Also, just to make sure your yellow plate number isn't in use (same sequence as black plates issued later), call the CA DMV License Pate Verification Desk..
1-800-777-0133, option 1 (english), 0 for agent....They can give you immediate verification.
Frank </span></span>

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Make sure you have two of the subject plates and a 1960 sticker as mentioned above. Also, I had the local police dept. verify the VIN, when all I had was a tub, no engine, no wheels, and no interior, but I did have a speedo in it just in case he wanted the odometer reading. I had pictures just in case when I went to DMV amd lucked out with just two visits. In my case I ordered personalized plates "60 FROG". Good luck.
I did not have prior registration, but had a CA bill of sale from the PO and the one before that.
Scott in CA

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Great. Thanks for all the info. The plates match and are in great shape. The 1960 sticker is missing but it seems I can purchase one from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-california-...=item53dbb4a0ad

The 1960 stickers have a serial # on them. Does anyone know if that serial # is in anyway tied to the plate #???
I just want to get it all worked out before I get in there and find out something isn't legit.
I'll call and check the plates are clear tomorrow.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
They record the sticker numbers now AFAIK; but the old sticker number for your plates (and whatever year they were last registered for) should be gone from their system by now. They only keep inactive records for 3 or 4 years now, to cut down on the database size.

Be sure the sticker is on the plate when they see it though. Reproductions are technically illegal.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
I did the YOM on my TR4. I was lucky, it was a breeze. You might also consider bringing photocopies of the plates. Definitely make an appointment unless you enjoy "people watching".

Bob

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I know you are talking about old plates, but what does "YOM" stand for? Sorry, I'm acronym-challenged. Took me a year to figure out LBC....

TTYL,

Pat

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would bring the plates and the sticker to the DMV. I am told they will check to see if they are real...in this case made of steel and not aluminum...like the copy cat vendors use. Here is a picture of what it could look like on your car. This is a special license plate holder designed for the YOM plates. Scott in CA

Attachments

• 27809.jpg
    27809.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 195

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
Went through this last year with the TR250. Finally got registration stickers about 5-6 months after the process was started. It goes a ton easier if you have old DMV paperwork with the plate numbers on them but that wasn't the case for me or apparently you. MUST have both plates. Wasn't an issue on this car but be very clear that you are doing a YOM registration and do NOT want new plates issued. Once they issue new plates, it starts you on a different path that you don't want to go down. Make sure you get the repro stickers in hand before making your appointment. For whatever reason the oldest sticker on my car was 1969 so I bought one of the ebay stickers (68 model year car/plates needed a 68 sticker). I think they put their 4th grader in charge of making it. To disguise it's cheesyness, I heated the old stickers on the plate and carefully removed them. I put the ebay sticker on and stuck the old sticker stack on top of it so we could do an archeological sticker dig with the DMV clerk as a ruse to make the cheesy sticker look more authentic. They bought it. I have had good luck going to the DMV in the 9:15 to 9:45 time frame. By that time they have worked through the big line of people standing outside the door before opening and the pre-lunch crowd hasn't arrived yet. The last couple times they called my number almost immediately.

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks everyone. Hopefully all goes well. I'll post back when completed.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We did this project last year with a 1931 Ford Delux Model A Roadster. Got real lucky and found really nice 31 plates.
only had a bill of sale to work with. What we discovered was different DMV offices take a different track on this issue. We talked with different car guys...and found the
DMV office a half hour away was where we wanted to be....
BINGO! Half hour and our 31 Model A was all set with these plates. Good luck to you. Gil NoCal

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
GilsTR said:
We did this project last year with a 1931 Ford Delux Model A Roadster. Got real lucky and found really nice 31 plates.
only had a bill of sale to work with. What we discovered was different DMV offices take a different track on this issue. We talked with different car guys...and found the
DMV office a half hour away was where we wanted to be....
BINGO! Half hour and our 31 Model A was all set with these plates. Good luck to you. Gil NoCal

AMAZING!!! Lets hope it's that easy for me too :smile: