• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

California Plates

doates

Has anyone restored their Blue and Gold California License plate? What colors (brand, etc.) did you use? How did you paint the yellow letters? Tape? Lettering brush? Roller?

Thanks....Dennis

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I purchase new plates. It is the only way to go, as it is both cost effective and the colours are correct.
PM me for the infomation if you would like.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Grantura_MKI said:
I purchase new plates. It is the only way to go, as it is both cost effective
Unless of course you get caught.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If the yellow is in good shape you might get away with spraying the whole plate with a thin coat of black then wiping the black off the letters with a rag moistened with some solvent. I have done that on other stamped metal items (screen door pushes) with nice results.

alfa33047

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It never occured to me to repaint my current plates on one of my old cars. I guess the state you live in would probably say its illegal, as they do charge extra for older plates that are put back in service. I am going to check with DMV and just see what they say. Geoege Hahn, where do you get these ideas? You must have too much time on your hands. But it did make me think.
Bill Close, Mesa, Az.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
In the late 60's Iowa would change from white with red letters to white with black. The gas station where I worked had two guys with Chevelles that would paint the letters to match the appropriate year. Neither had a drivers license so no big deal...
TR3driver said:
Unless of course you get caught.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
"Get caught" ah, doing what? There is NO difference between the "new plate" and the "restored plate". Just more cost effective. The last plates that I had restored cost over $150.00USD. These are number plates, NOT chassis numbers, etc.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CA law states that only the state can supply legitimate license plates. Counterfeit plates are not valid (and CA no longer supplies gold/blue). Displaying a counterfeit plate amounts to not displaying a valid license plate, which is grounds for the vehicle to be impounded (if you were operating on a public road of course). Even if you don't pay a fine, the impound and storage fees are going to run more than $150.

Other states have different rules of course. I don't know of any other state that explicitly prohibits reproduction plates, as long as they use a legitimate number. Still, I have to think that the law would take a dim view if they caught you with more than two plates with the same number on them.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
New York does, in fact, expressly prohibit any sort of reproduction or facsimile license plate. On the other hand, they do specifically allow restored original plates IN THE PROPER COLORS (as well as good unrestored originals, of course), but the number must be cleared with NYSDMV.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Sooo...

Reproduction plates are being made by criminals, whereas the legitimate plates are made by... criminals!

What's a fella to do?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
BTW - into my 6th hour at DMV dealing with getting a couple new-to-me cars registered in CA. These are original Blue Plate cars with the State of CA issued plates, the statute is VR 2009-21, but the DMV is struggling on doing this. Had to show the local supervisor the statute she was referencing didn't say what she was claiming. You can imagine how that went over...

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
Reproduction plates are being made by criminals, whereas the legitimate plates are made by... criminals!

Urban legend: slips of paper found tucked into newly made plates; Help, I'm being held prisoner in a license plate factory!

AEW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have a 58' TR3a parts car with a blue California plate. Is that worth anything?

(I'm just looking for anything to up the value of the old car :smile: ...Maybe it was owned by some famous Californian.... considering the floorboards... Fred Flintstone !!! )

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Not due to the plates alone....

And you'll have to be able to PROVE that the plates are correct for the car via old title or registration.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tdskip said:
Not due to the plates alone....

And you'll have to be able to PROVE that the plates are correct for the car via old title or registration.
:iagree:
But the standard of 'proof' seems pretty low. The registration I found was faded until it was barely legible and had the engine number instead of commission number in the VIN box. And I'm pretty sure that the person in Sacramento who actually approved my application only saw my "statement" that I had such a registration, not the piece of paper itself.

AEW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Oh well, this old girl is never going to cruse the boulevard again anyway. For whatever insane reason I do things, I named this one 'Malibu', and now it is on my 'disassemble for useful bits' list. Soon to be just somebody's fond memory and no more :frown:

Malibu's death row cellmate (Baby) has a Pacific Wonderland plate. I think Oregon will let me use the plate on a running car if I pay the normal plate swap fee. Or they once did it that way. Recently they have reissued the classic plates series in new reflector (smile you're on camera) design and the rules may be different on transfers. I have titles in my name already so I can avoid some, a few at least, issues.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
My fingers are crossed Randall that my paperwork finds the same person that did yours. I actually had the pink slip showing the plates were correct.

PeterK

Yoda
I have the CA black plates (and registrations from the early 80s) for my 3A. Is there a way to trace ownership before my regs? Car was originally from Hawaii and I have some history but I'd like to find out more.