• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

how to beat the smog test

xk6$xke?

Freshman Member
If you own a port fuel injected vehical that does not pass the smog test, disable the injector wire to the cyilinder that lowers the rpm the least. This dilutes the air stream by the ratio of 1/#cyilinders. I have a friend of a brother who has a removed uncle who new a guy that meet someone who heard this story.
A guy fails by over 100 times the limit on his smog test. To cheap and to bussy to fix the car right away he pulls one of his injector wires and fails by 2%. Determined to save a buck he pulls another injector wire, leaving 4 out of six working and passes with plenty of room to spare.
The car ran so badly that he could barly get it to the testing station, but a pass is a pass.
devilgrin.gif
devilgrin.gif
devilgrin.gif

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by xk6$xke?:
<<<SNIP>>>
The car ran so badly that he could barly get it to the testing station, but a pass is a pass.
devilgrin.gif
devilgrin.gif
devilgrin.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm? I must admit that I’d never heard this one before. This would make me have to ask what state you are in?

Because in my state (California) – they don’t “just” check for what is coming out of your tailpipe. They check to see if the emissions & evaporative loss control components are present and functional. In addition to all of that – they will also look at other aspects of how your vehicle is performing. As well as “unsteady” or “faulty” ignition timing, catalytic converter, oil leaks, etc.

It is my understanding that in the case of more modern “fuel injected” computer controlled cars, that if you disconnected one or more of the injectors your car’s ECU diagnostics would pick up on it and give you an engine warning light. Regardless of what the cause or how well you did in testing – an engine warning light is an automatic failure.

I don’t believe that this vehicle would pass the emissions testing in this state. I guess some states emissions tests are easier than others.

confused.gif

Bret

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
That might work in BC..The smog people don't even look under the hood.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Speaking for the province of Ontario up here in Canada, I have been told of a fairly fail safe technique to pass our emissions test.

If you go for a highway run just before the test you will very likely pass, unless the car is a complete wreck - I believe it has something to do with warming up the engine. The concern up here has been the accuracy of the testing, people who have cars that are running perfectly with no problems will fail sometimes, and also people have been known to get varying results on the exact same car (enough of a swing to pass or fail).

MattP

Jedi Knight
In another thread on the car care forum, I think that someone mentioned that an oil change right before the test helps as well. I don't remember all the details. AR is still too busy working on the concept that stuff does come out of the tailpipe to be testing that stuff. So I didn't look too closely.

MattP