• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Overflow bottle

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Did the 1967 GT come with a radiator overflow bottle? I don't think that it did but my car had a rigged one. What would be the purpose for having one installed after the car was produced?

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
To retain the coolant; early cars had a hose that spat coolant overflow on the ground.

When things cool back down, the overflow gets sucked back into the rad.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Maybe the PO did not want coolant on the ground? I really don't want to put it back in. It's real ugly and if not needed I can deal with a bit of fluid on the ground.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
I think the laws changed somewhere in that era and sealed systems became manditory. It isn't neccessary and you can certainly do without it. Just make sure to check your coolant. I saw a really neat looking chrome bottle at the local hotrod shop the other day that I'm thinking about fitting to my LE

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
wait.... you seconded that twice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Your picture says " the only non original things are the overflow and the plug wires". So what is that thing that looks like a rattle-can at the right side of the firewall?

Guinn

Looks like a tudor wiper fluid bottle to me. It's s'posed to be there.

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Vping - If the coolant in the coolant recovery container is "really ugly", so is the rest of your coolant. It sound like your cooling system and block are candidates for a really good flushing to get all teh crud out. After that, starting with fresh coolant and a working recovery system, the system will stay much cleaner because all of the air is removed from the system by the coolant recovery system.
Cheers,

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Could the rattle can that guinn has kindly pointed out be the coil?
If you want to get really technical.
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Hoses
Hose clamps
oil
oil filter
oil filter adapter kit
Thermostat
Thermostat housing
Thermostat housing Nuts, washers & studs
...to name a few are not original. To my young and untrained eye, this car is very original and while I am working on her and posting pictures, I'm sure you guys will fill me in as to what is not original. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (like doc pointing out my shifter)

Aesthetically "Ugly" is actually what I meant but since we are on the subject when I pulled the radiator I flushed it with a hose for awhle and yes there was really ugly stuff coming outta there. I purchased a "radiator flush" and will use it after I get back to getting her started. If it is recomended that I have a recovery system for better operation what can I use. Hmmm I have nifty new (original to Midgets) brass overflow. That might look better than big plastic jug with the electricians pipe strap thingy strapped to the radiator support.

Thanks Dave. I'm sure I with speaking with you further about my TD. I think I have had some conversations with you over at the BBS.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That engine bay looks great vping. If the car I have here was as unmolested as yours I'd have considered a full resto to make it as close to showroom as possible. I'm not advocating you do that, just that if you decide to refurb it you have an excellent example to begin with. Nice to see 'em "untainted."

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd love to but the labor & cash to get it that way is great and to maintain it is also a very time consuming affair. (full time job, part time job, rebuilding my house myself, 3 kids, blah blah blah)I actually like that fact that it is not that "perfect" and is unmolested. It has a nice patina to it.
TD is the same way. You will all see lots of pics of that one soon as get the BGT on the road.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I understand and agree. I'd be the same way if it were mine. The B we have was whacked front and rear in it's past and ~badly~ repaired before we found it, so when the time came (after many years of us just driving it) to put it back to roadworthy, I did a cosmetic refurb to make it a bit more straight. Patch panels for the rear quarters and bent all the bits back to where they looked right from the outside. The poor old thing will never be "correct" without the massive infusions of time and cash you mentioned. I'll leave that for someone "upwhen" to consider. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
That is why I purchased the GT and pu the midget projects on hold. Lotsa metal needs to be replaced and I don't ave that kinda time right now. As it is the GT is taking up all of my free time but I'm digging it.
I'll tell ya, if someone offered me a fairly unmolested 1972 Blaze Midget, I'd be all over it!! Gotta love RWA!

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
oooh ahh!
Miget.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*snork* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Your picture says " the only non original things are the overflow and the plug wires". So what is that thing that looks like a rattle-can at the right side of the firewall?

Guinn

[/ QUOTE ]

Screen Washer bottle from a big Healey and it has no business being in there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif