• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Filling up the TR6, overflow?

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Filled up the TR6 for the first time. I stopped when the handle clicked off. I looked down the tube and it was right there inches from the top. I have driven it 15 miles since and I am confident that I am getting gas coming down and overflow tube that exits behind the rear tire. I haven't had a chance to climb underneath to confirm, but I suspect this is the issue. Is this common or do I have something else going on?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Perfectly normal. Don't fill it that full.

I got tired of fuel sloshing out the overflow in hard left turns (like pulling out of the subdivision across 3 lanes of traffic every morning on my way to work), so I plugged the original overflow. My fill cap already had a hole that provides plenty of ventilation, but it would be easy enough to add one if yours doesn't.

Gastankventholeincap.jpg

hondo402000

Darth Vader
when I fill my TR6 up I have to keep adding fuel a couple of times after the gas pump kicks off to really fill it up. but it depends on how far you shove the gas nozzel in the tank as to where it kicks off. I think the vent/over flow is in the neck. are you smelling gas in the car? maybe the over flow hose has a break in it

Hondo

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Randall you must have posted before I submitted mine but I would rather fuel spill out the over flow and on the road than spill out the cap on the nice paint job

Hondo

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good point, but I've been running that way for some 30 years now, and have never spilled fuel out through the vent in the cap. Since the cap is in the middle of the tank, the level in the neck doesn't rise even when the fuel sloshes over to the side in a hard turn.

Unless the car rolls over of course; and then I won't be worried about the paint :laugh:

PS, many years ago when full service gas stations were still found outside Oregon, I came out to find some pump jock carefully topping up my tank without even realizing that he was standing in a spreading pool of gas running out the overflow.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
If the PO had left the evaporative control system installed, you would not be having that problem. Included on the '72 was a baffle that sat above the fuel tank which allowed fuel vapor to pass, but not fuel, on to the charcoal filter.

Fuel tank venting to the atmosphere, specifically a tube extending down to the underside of the car ceased, as I recall, with the 1969 models.

Many owners do not understand this system and falsely believe it impedes performance, which it does not, and they remove it. Or they install carburetor systems not equipped to handle it.

You can either not fill the tank full, as suggested, or put the original system back in, or minimally find a baffle or fuel check valve used on most other cars, that will eliminate or reduce your over spill problem.

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Thank you for he responses and I feel better that I know how to avoid this from happening again in the future.