• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Overdrive Transmission

67BGT

Freshman Member
I'm looking for an overdrive transmission for my 67 B GT. I have to 4 spd right now with no overdrive, and it's killing me. I looked at a couple sites, one for a rivergate Transmission, but from what I can tell I have to supply my own datsun transmission, and then pay $895 for a kit to convert it. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. Thank you
_____________________________Garth

srmorse

Jedi Hopeful
check eBay...Quite often there are quite a few available on there. Of course, you don't necessarily know the condition...

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Welcome. I am actually going to look at an engine from a 77 today which also has a O/D Tranny attatched. If I can't afford the tranny too, I will let you know.
Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

OP

67BGT

Freshman Member
Does anyone know much aboput the Ford Sierra Type 9 Gearbox. I tried looking at there website, but wasn't having any luck finding prices or an order form. Are they still in buisness??

mjamgb

Yeah, "few mods" like bashing out the tunnel to accept the wider transmission!

The sierra (Ford type N) gearbox is hard to find in the states but several websites have kits (from Jolly Olde England). Alternatively, I have seen a kit advertised to fit the Ford T5 from a Mustang. Apparently this mod is also a tight fit in the early B.
Try https://www.classicconversions.co.uk/ for the Sierra/Merkur/Scorpio tranny.

I have also heard of both the Nissan 5-speed and the Mazda 5-speed fitting, especilly the 240Z 5-speed.

Mike!

Good luck

mgamike

Freshman Member
I put a ford sierra 5sp in my 1958 MGA, the conversion was easy and it works great with few problems. contact Quantum Mechanics( 203-459-9612) It cost about $2200 now. their website is quantumechanics.com. e-mail me if you would like more feedback.

calvado

Freshman Member
Hi,

I'm kinda of new to the MGB world. I just found one ('76) without an overdrive transmission. Should I consider this model or prefer a later model with an overdrive. How is that annoying to don't have an overdrive ? I'm planning to drive the car mostly in town with a 50 MPH speed limit..

mjamgb

Welcome!

The 68 and up MGB had the "all syncromesh" transmission. This was a little wider than the earlier transmission so it makes retrofitting a later tranny into an earlier (pre 68) car more than just a quickie bolt-in (not to mention the starter).
OD was offered on all models in all years.
OD is nice for freeway cruising but is not necessary at all. The 1800 pulls fine and spins up well enough for you to manage very well in traffic.
Personally I would avoid post 74 1/2 cars (rubber bumper) just because I don't like the looks, emissions, or jacked-up suspension. All of which can be "fixed" but I just don't want to.
If you like it, get it! and have fun driving it.

Mike!

timbomath

I had a 60MGA w/o OD that I drove for thousands of hwy miles at 70mph when I lived in Chicago years ago. Currently, living in the NW, the 79/80B LE that I drive has OD and I really only get to use it when I make the trip to Seattle, 200 mi. rnd trip. I must say from my experience that I agree with the opinions of many highly educated individuals talking about the merits of OD vs. non-OD and that is that mechanically speaking it makes very litle difference in terms of wear, engine longevity, or even mileage. That being said, there is no disputing the fact that when you throw the switch into OD and it drops about 500rpm it sounds more 'relaxed' and definitely makes the experience a more relaxing one. 30 yrs. ago maybe I just didn't mind the extra noise and some people just enjoy the higher whine of the engine which for them just enhances the experience. Obviously, with OD you can have it either way. Personally I find that on a long drive it is more relaxing but is definitely not a necessity especially when looking at all the factors in making the decision about purchasing an MG.

RoseRoyce

Freshman Member
I have a 77 MGB, and am also looking for an overdrive transmission. You mentioned that you were going to see a motor from a 77 MGB with an overdrive transmission...is the OD available?
Bernie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 77 MGB, and am also looking for an overdrive transmission. You mentioned that you were going to see a motor from a 77 MGB with an overdrive transmission...is the OD available?
Bernie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum, Bernie.
Yup.... I went, I looked, I bought, and I installed both in my 74.5 GT.
I got them both for $900.00 CDN, carbs and all. Motor runs great, and Tranny works, though I havn't got the electrics hooked up for the O/D yet.
Sorry
My Triumph / MG mechanic here offered me $2000.00 for the Tranny the day I bought it. (I didn't tell my wife) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good luck in your serch, and keep posting.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

RoseRoyce

Freshman Member
I was one of the bidders, but I missed out at the last minute. In the meantime, I have a lead on another one, and someone in our car club has a shifter with the switch, but not the wiring...Moss has a switch kit which includes the wiring and the shifter cap...does anyone know if I can use my current shifter with this switch kit from Moss...I left two messages to the tech support people at Moss, but no response yet.