• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Servicing transmission and overdrive

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So it's time to do a drain and refill on the transmission and overdrive. I've got oil for the box (same VR1 20W50 racing I use in the engine -- easier to just use the same stuff) but wondering what else I need.

There's a filter(?) in the OD unit -- replace? Drain plug gaskets? Anything else? I'm putting in a Moss order and don't want to forget anything.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Drew, how's everything working now? Does the OD work ok? If these answers are yes, then it's a straight forward job. I'd just drain old out and refill. The MGB transmission is pretty bullet proof and if their working correctly, I don't fool with them. I'll probably get some flack on this, but if the transmission is quiet while shifting, I change oil in them when I see a darkening of the oil, which is rare. JMHO. PJ

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Everything seems to be working fine. Transmission shifts fine, no issues there. OD takes a moment to engage, but disengages quickly. Leaks a bit, but that's not too surprising I guess. Not horrible, I just check the dipstick every now and then (it's usually fine).

I don't know if/when the OD was ever drained/cleaned/filter replaced (there is a filter, correct? Moss shows something). As the car is still relatively new to me (1 year) I'd like to have some piece of mind knowing that it's been taken care of.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If it ain't broke ------. Been there done that. Be aware that there are several plugs under the transmission that look like drain plugs. Some aren't. At least one of them contains a check ball and can be lost in an instant. Proceed carefully. Bob

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
If you change the filter its behind the 2"x3" plate on the bottom of the trans. There are 6 small bolts holding it on. Be sure not to overtighten these and break them off. Dirt of grit can be a big problem with a overdrive. Be sure your funnel and the area around the fill plug are clean so nothing but oil goes in. Bob

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks guys. I'll check back in before I tackle this one and make sure I've identified the proper drain plugs and such.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Only one drain plug on a later overdrives required to drain. Its the one closest to the engine. Its not close to the overdrive but will drain the overdrive since its at the lowest point on the trans. As I recall it takes a 11/16 or 3/4 inch wrench to remove it. Have a good scraper to get the screen/filter off under that 6 bolt cover. Do not remove the small cover with the wire coming out of it. That one has the little ball that can drop out and be lost forever. I use 30 wt non detergent oil in overdrives. Check Quantum Mechanics website for his advise on oils. Bob

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Bob.

PSJ

Hi Drew!

Don't want to inject confusion or delay - but I've messed up (in the past) by using incorrect oil in my OD gearbox. I am not familiar with VR1 20W50 racing oil; but the oil needs to be "normal" (non-synthetic) and non-detergent. After putting in oil that didn't meet these criteria, my OD stopped working - so I had to "rinse" with several changes of correct oil until everything worked perfectly again. I think the manual for my '72 calls out for straight 30W non-detergent. I had to do a little searching until I found that exact oil (it's now so archaic that it's no longer common in my neck of the woods). However, now everything works perfectly! I don't think you can go wrong using the manufacturer-specified weight and grade; though some may argue that you might be able to do better by using something else.

Good luck!

Phil

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The VR1 is a non-detergent oil -- it's what I used in the Sprite box as well. Haven't done a full drain on this gearbox since I bought the car last year, just topped it off occasionally. Straight 30W is what Quantum Mechanics recommends, though the owner's manual says to use what you use in the engine (20W50 is one of the recommended weights).

I'll see what I can find before I do the service. There's no rush as it's working okay now.