• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seating The Ball On An Overdrive Transmission

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Wow it's been a long time since I've been over here and I can see I have a great deal of reading to do to catch up.

Have a question for you: When you "seat" the ball on an overdrive is it just to insure the top hole is closed or both the top and two side holes on the plunger. Hubby is working on mine right now and the top is seated perfect but we can see a tiny bit of light from the holes on the side when we hold a light to the other side of the plunger. Oh the solenoid works fine and pushes the ball all the way to the top and seals the top hole. It's on a test bench right now. Don't want to put it all back together, fill with oil, etc., before we know about those two side holes

Your turn

Steve_S

Yoda
Hey Naomi, great to "see" you! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Are you talking about the ball which sits on top of the solenoid plunger? I've heard many people talk about "seating the ball" but in reality I don't believe this is an accurate description. It's been a while but here is how I remember it...

The ball seals a small oil hole. If this hole gets deformed, oil will seep past the ball and the OD will malfunction. Placing the ball on its hole and tapping it lightly with a punch and hammer will reform the hole and return the system to its proper state.

With the transmission already removed, this is a very easy job. With the unit installed in a car it is more difficult and messy, since oil will be dripping out all over you during the job.

A couple light taps ought to do the trick if this is the source of your problems. If the OD is working fine then there is no reason to "seat the ball". Just assemble normally and drive your car.

OP
N

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Steve. Yes it is the ball that sits on top of the solenoid plunger and the overdrive was not working. We were told this was the fix but we don't know if the ball is suppose to seal off just the top hole or both the top and side holes.

The transmission is still in the car and the hubby is doing this while the car is on jack stands -- thus the reason for not wanting to put everything back together and fill with oil until we know for sure /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
There are many different reasons for an overdrive to malfunction. The first thing to check is for power at the solenoid. If you have power, then make sure the solenoid is functioning properly. It should engage with a solid click. They rarely wear out but it does happen. The "ball trick" is probably the easiest thing to try as a fix.

OP
N

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks again Steve. Yes the solenoid does have power applied when I switch it on. The hubby and I appreciate your helping us troubleshoot. All suggestions/advice from everyone welcome /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
BAM!! Look at that - question answered - point blank!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think there's a pretty good record here for that kinda thing. In spite of the flip and off-topic nonsense we come thru with answers to questions in fairly short order most times.

...now...

Who's this stranger callin' herself Naomi? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

(I wanna hear th' excuses)

OP
N

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Ya'll sure do come through in short order and when I need help I know where to visit. Thanks so much /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

PS: DrEntropy I've been a member here since 2002 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Naomi said:
Ya'll sure do come through in short order and when I need help I know where to visit. Thanks so much /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

PS: DrEntropy I've been a member here since 2002 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Ah, but we'd like you to drop by occassionally when you don't need help - just to cheer us up, bunch of old [censored] that we are!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

Naomi, I know. I'm just pushin' yer laig.

...I lurked a LOT and read more when I came aboard this place. You've been MISSED around here.

Don't DO that again, huh? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
PS: DrEntropy I've been a member here since 2002 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif [/QUOTE]

And that's no excuse! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
N

Naomi

Jedi Hopeful
Ya'll are right and I think I'll start visiting more often. This is truly a wonderful forum /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif