• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ball joint and steering question

Jim Lee

Jedi Trainee
Two questions today. On my website I have two TR pictures.
https://home.earthlink.net/~sasjzl/tr3/

The first is of a front ball joint. I am looking at the VB catalog online here:
https://www.victoriabritish.com/ICATALOG/TC/full.aspx?Page=100
Item #24 Rubber Boot - Ball Joint.
Is that all I need to protect that joint?

The second is of the bottom of my steering box. You can see the large drip of 90w. The thread that the nut with the acorn washer is supposed to keep this from leaking is cross threaded so that I cannot get it to hold fluid.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Lee
1959 tr3a

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Q1. Once you've replaced that joint, yes that's all you'll need.

Q2. Depends how far you want to go. Me, I'd take it off and replace if it's beyond repair, but i've no doubt there are dodges that work.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Roger said:
Q2. Depends how far you want to go. Me, I'd take it off and replace if it's beyond repair, but i've no doubt there are dodges that work.

Some of us use Penrite Steering box oil as a work around until we rebuild the box.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Don't remeber this nut exactly, but might try plumbers teflon tape on the male threads to tighten the nut.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jim Lee said:
The thread that the nut with the acorn washer is supposed to keep this from leaking is cross threaded so that I cannot get it to hold fluid.
Are you sure it's the right nut? I'm just certain I used a hardware store nut some 35 years ago, but the one I tried the other day was too large. Right pitch, but just big enough that it wouldn't grab the original steering box threads hard enough to hold.

Certainly not best practice; but I'll bet you could replace just the front plate (with those threads) without having to pull the apron, etc.

Of course I could be wrong.

OP
J

Jim Lee

Jedi Trainee
I am never sure of anything these days but I do remember trying a more than a few nuts and not being able to find the correct thread. I am having a hard time determining what part that is that has the thread on it. Would it be possible to rethread it somehow? Like put jbweld or PC-9 on the current thread and cut new threads that I could find a nut for? Does anyone know where I could find a drawing of exactly what is down there that is more detailed then what I see in the Big Three diagrams?

Is there anything locally available that would be similiar to the Pennrite Steering Oil as a temporary solution?

As far as the ball joint. Is that just about to fall off? The picture is taken with the front end jacked up. Is there a standard test I can do to see if it needs replacing? The front end seems pretty stable to me but I don't really know what that means having never driven another TR3. It does not wander all over the road at least.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Ball joint is missing the cotter pin that secures the castle nut.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Jim Lee said:
I am having a hard time determining what part that is that has the thread on it.

The square end plate has the threads on it. I might have one for you, but it's COLD out in the Lab now and the Tub O' Steering Box Parts is under some other tubs o' parts and with my health, or lack thereof, it might take me a while to get out there to look.

Are you in a hurry?

OP
J

Jim Lee

Jedi Trainee
No hurry at all. I had opened up the steering box a while ago just to see what I could see because I had the front apron off..putting in a recored radiator, and I am pretty sure it was dry. Or at the very least not full of fluid. I think this was when I did more harm than good by messing around with that nut at the bottom and somehow creating a leak where there was none before. I thought I remember someone saying/writing that it was really not a good idea to put something heavy like bearing grease in there? I cannot remember why though? Does it become a problem when, or if, it dries up?

I am very glad to hear the thread is just on the bottom plate. I was afraid it was on something that ran all the way through the steering column that would cost big money to replace.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
1959 tr3a

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jim, I'm sure I've got a spare plate in good shape, though I'm not so sure about a nut. Send me a PM if you're interested (I'll have to climb into the attic to look for it).

You could probably come close to imitating Penrite by mixing gear oil and bearing grease, but I've no idea of the ratio. Should work fine, if you don't mind the steering being even heavier than it is usually and keep the box filled.

BTW, topping up the steering box should be a part of your normal maintenance routine.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
I've used Penrite Steering Lube (slumping grease) in four sidescreen TR steering boxes over probably 12 years, with never a failure. The key is to take patience with the slow fill, and make sure the box is brim full. Then the top ball and cage bearing gets properly lubricated.

Being tucked away, the steering box fluid level tends to get checked only when the car's steering becomes intolerably heavy. The Penrite product is a good long term solution, with only an annual check advised, and I've never had to top up a box once properly filled.

Once in, it stays in. (no commercial interest)

Regards,

Viv.